Wright State

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Wright State

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Not sure if you guys are following the fiasco at Wright State, but the university is in the midst of a very embarrassing and unfortunate faculty strike that is now in week three. If you want to learn more you can google around or read the WSU fan board. A lot of classes are canceled for the semester and many students are now essentially part time students. I’m not sure how this will impact the MBB team. NCAA demands each D1 athlete be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester. I don’t see NCAA being draconian and declaring student athletes ineligible for a faculty strike, but this is going to hurt the school and presumably their athletics for years to come. The university is playing hardball and recently posted job postings for adjuncts in virtually every department, implying they’re ready to let the faculty on strike walk away. If you have a masters degree and ever dreamed of teaching a college course, this is your moment.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Wright State

Postby NC Titan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Wrong State? Might not even need a master's....
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm

NC Titan wrote:Wrong State? Might not even need a master's....

According to the official job posting, https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/de ... =176913352, it’s master’s .... for now. They’re also willing to provide “on campus housing” for those willing to start immediately. The only thing that could have made the whole thing more pathetic would be if they put “immediately” in bold italics underlined. Who wouldn’t want to live in a dorm room and teach 101 courses for $3,000 per course in Dayton, OH? I honestly feel very bad for the students caught up in this.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Some good breweries in Dayton.
titanmike
Senior

Postby professorjacksonudbg » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:15 pm

It's a terrible situation.

Wright State University imposed a contract on their faculty that takes away their right to bargain over health benefits. Faculty simply cannot accept this and had to go on strike.

The amount of money in this dispute is negligible. It's not about cost savings. It's about Wright State University trying to break their union.
professorjacksonudbg

Postby ptctitan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 am

Does this mean that Scott Nagy and his staff are scabs? ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 am

ptctitan wrote:Does this mean that Scott Nagy and his staff are scabs? ;)

Yup! As I've stated before, I think Nagy reminds me a lot of Jerry Slocum.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Looking forward to tomorrow's game. I believe our team will be ready to play. It will be interesting to see our starting lineup.
I predict our starters will be:

Blackshear - F
Isiani - F
Hamrick - G
Davis - G
McFolley - G
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Not optimistic about our chances Las Vegas has us as an 11 point underdog. Milwaukee and YSt need to lose to keep us out of the nine spot.
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:34 pm

b]Wright State[/b]
When Saturday, February 9, 7:00 p.m.
Where Nutter Center, Wright State
TV: ESPN+
Radio: AM 910 Superstation

Sample size matters. The Titans, the consensus last place pick in Horizon preseason polls, shot out of the gate in conference play. By January 12, the Titans sat tied atop the league at 5-1, and people began looking at Detroit as a legitimate title contender. Meanwhile, consensus favorite Wright State languished in the pack at 2-3. But things have a habit of reverting to the norm, and the Titans enter Saturday's contest in 7th place in the league standings at 6-6, while the Raiders have won 6 of 7 to enter at 8-4 and in sole possession of second place, a game back of Northern Kentucky--their next opponent. Maybe we can catch them looking ahead and reverse our recent run of poor play.

Barring some last minute shakeup, WSU Coach Scott Nagy will throw at us the same starting lineup we saw in January, and the same 8 man rotation.

Wright State Starters
PG - #31 Cole Gentry, 5-10 Jr. (13.0 ppg, 3.4 apg, 36.7% 3PtFG)
SG - #03 Mark Hughes, 6-4 Sr. (9.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.0 apg)
SG - #04 Alan Vest, 6-3 Sr. (4.9 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 47.6% 3PtFG)
PF - #22 Parker Ernsthausen, 6-11 Sr. (4.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg)
C - #11 Loudon Love, 6-9 Soph. (14.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg)

Key Reserves
G – #05 Skyelar Potter, 6-3 Fr. (6.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg)
G – #13 Malachi Smith, 6-3 Fr. (4.4 ppg)
F – #01 Billy Wampler, 6-6 RS Jr. (14.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 33.1% 3PtFG)

Wright State's turnaround has come from fundamentals. In conference play, they now lead the league in fewest points allowed per game, are first in turnover margin, third in rebounding margin, 1st in free throw shooting.

I noted in previewing the January game that, "Except for Love, who is strictly a low-post player, every man in the rotation is a threat from deep, including the 6-11 Ernsthausen." Wright State shot just 18.2% from three against the Titans, however, and have struggled ever since. They're last in the league in conference play at just 28.6%. Let's hope Saturday doesn't mark a turnaround in the other direction. Not surprisingly, Wright State has been looking more to the inside game of its big center, Loudon Love, with reduced reliance on the three. They'll try to beat us along the baseline, where other teams have had success.

The Titans, meanwhile, hit 12 of 26 threes against Wright State the last time--that was Antoine Davis's 48 point outburst, if you didn't recall. But expect Wright State to use the Oakland double team on Antoine, and likely get better results. Someone else needs to step up and hit some threes--Wright State is not especially good at defending the three. A big game for Willie Isiani and/or Josh McFolley would make a world of difference.

The other Titan question: Will the Titans play Chris Brandon? I'm sure Coach has his reasons, and knows a ton more than I do, but one can't help but notice that the Titans' 1-5 skid has directly corresponded with Brandon's disappearance from the court following the wins over Green Bay and Milwaukee.

It's rather banal to say that the Titans need to stop this skid, but it's true. We're 1.5 games up on 9th place Milwaukee, which faces last place Cleveland State. I don't think we want to visit the Panthers next Thursday knowing that a loss could drop us all the way to 9th place and out of the league tournament picture.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Once again, a good write up by the Commissioner.

Here's the pregame story from the Dayton Daily News:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... tnQy1hi5K/
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm

well i'm going to do the unthinkable here. at least for me. i was at the NKU game--as an aside, when i think of norsemen, vikings and all that? i think of kentucky! having said all that i saw a team in total disarray. i don't think we could have beat anyone thursday night. we played a strong 1st quarter and slowly disintegrated. and no, i don't think we will recover by tonight. The vegas line is 10. i don't think that's enough so i'm happy to give it. sorry to bet against the home team. show me somethin!

the norse radio announcer criticized coach for leaving ad in towards the end when the game was out of reach. it is noteworthy that by then our other starter's were out. i can't really fault coach but i can't really disagree with the radio man either. it is equally noteworthy that, as near as i can tell, i was the only titan there other than those on the bench? that is nothing i have ever experienced on any road game i've ever gone too, ever. usually we get, at least, a few local alums. that, in and of itself was kind of depressing. i had planned to go to the wsu game. decided not to stick around. this is not a game we can win. beating the spread would be a moral victory.

the best thing i had to say about the evening is the yuengling was cold and the arena was nice. people were very friendy. so. i had to wait until today to post my thought.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:48 pm

As to resting Antoine late vs NKU. You know, we only have 3 guards left on the team. Davis, Josh and Riley. Knight is gone. Holland is really a small forward. In the second half, we rested Josh and played Riley. I suppose if their subs had run the clock instead of jacking up quick 3's, Davis might have rested Antoine and put in Gjysma at guard.

Let's just start anew tonight and play better. Win or lose - let's play better.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:45 pm

ptctitan wrote:As to resting Antoine late vs NKU. You know, we only have 3 guards left on the team. Davis, Josh and Riley. Knight is gone. Holland is really a small forward. In the second half, we rested Josh and played Riley. I suppose if their subs had run the clock instead of jacking up quick 3's, Davis might have rested Antoine and put in Gjysma at guard.

Let's just start anew tonight and play better. Win or lose - let's play better.

Willy is a guard on offense.

Cole can play guard. And Hamrick is listed as a guard.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 pm

halftime interview Mike Davis Jr said Isiani out due to a heel injury
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Davis Jr said he feels more comfortable about tonight's game than the other night. Said we have to take care of the ball better and push it to get some easy baskets
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 pm

frustrating that we had the Wright State lead down to 2 points with 4 minutes left then our opponent goes on another run. at least we kept it under 10 at the half
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 pm

That was fun. Coach Davis lobbying the fans is a hoot! Juvenile? Maybe. But we need some kind of fire and I'll take it.

Onto the game at hand. We could easily be tied or ahead if:

1. Josh would play under control. I think the world of him and I know he wants to win badly but he's trying to do too much.

2. We'd stop jacking up off balance 3s so early in the shot clock. Wasted possessions mostly.

3. The HL referees weren't so awful. They are seriously out to screw us. It may be because Coach Davis hasn't precisely endeared himself with the zebras this year but, still, these guys are wretched. They have no professionalism. Really lame bunch. I hate this league more every day.

4. We had a big man. Zero presence in the post and that just draws the defense out to defend outside shots. And now that they can rough up Antoine whenever they want, our lack of an inside game is even more critical.

*Mac, what's with you?! I always think of Kentucky when someone says Norse. No, sorry, my bad. I meant I think of Kentucky when someone says horse.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:50 pm

I can only imagine how irate UP and ptc feel watching this officiating.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:That was fun. Coach Davis lobbying the fans is a hoot! Juvenile? Maybe. But we need some kind of fire and I'll take it.

Onto the game at hand. We could easily be tied or ahead if:

1. Josh would play under control. I think the world of him and I know he wants to win badly but he's trying to do too much.

2. We'd stop jacking up off balance 3s so early in the shot clock. Wasted possessions mostly.

3. The HL referees weren't so awful. They are seriously out to screw us. It may be because Coach Davis hasn't precisely endeared himself with the zebras this year but, still, these guys are wretched. They have no professionalism. Really lame bunch. I hate this league more every day.

4. We had a big man. Zero presence in the post and that just draws the defense out to defend outside shots. And now that they can rough up Antoine whenever they want, our lack of an inside game is even more critical.

*Mac, what's with you?! I always think of Kentucky when someone says Norse. No, sorry, my bad. I meant I think of Kentucky when someone says horse.

#2. This has been irritating to me since the onset of the BA era. JJJr. and AD have taken it to another level. Can we make at least one pass before we throw up a contested 35 feet three pointer off of one leg?
R.B.J1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball