HL Tourney Berth Watch

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

HL Tourney Berth Watch

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:49 am

Today we can vaguely see the HL tourney bracket finally start to take shape.

YSU is playing good ball, and while they will most likely take losses at NKU and WSU, the rest of their remaining schedule is at home and not against top teams. Plus they end the season at home against CSU for an almost guaranteed win. I think YSU is in.

Which, as of now, makes it look like we could be fighting Milwaukee for the final spot (wow, how things have changed since that 3-0 start!). If Milwaukee takes a loss at CSU today (55% probability per ESPN) then it looks nearly certain that Milwaukee and CSU will be the two teams ending their seasons on the first weekend of March.

If we take a loss at WSU today (86% probability) and Milwaukee does in fact win today, the ramifications for our game AT Milwaukee on Valentine’s Day are obvious.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: HL Tourney Berth Watch

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Today we can vaguely see the HL tourney bracket finally start to take shape.

YSU is playing good ball, and while they will most likely take losses at NKU and WSU, the rest of their remaining schedule is at home and not against top teams. Plus they end the season at home against CSU for an almost guaranteed win. I think YSU is in.

Which, as of now, makes it look like we could be fighting Milwaukee for the final spot (wow, how things have changed since that 3-0 start!). If Milwaukee takes a loss at CSU today (55% probability per ESPN) then it looks nearly certain that Milwaukee and CSU will be the two teams ending their seasons on the first weekend of March.

If we take a loss at WSU today (86% probability) and Milwaukee does in fact win today, the ramifications for our game AT Milwaukee on Valentine’s Day are obvious.

It's pretty good when the outcome of a game depends on the officiating crew assigned to a game. We start the season with the league knowing nothing of Davis. He does really well against non con. teams. We enter into league play and we win two on the road. We come home and we blow out Wright State in a game that is tightly called. Brennan brings his Norsemen to Calihan with a game plan of blocking cuts, holding and clutching. AD is mugged, the game is loosely officiated and the template for the rest of the season is formed. Coach Davis starts getting tech's and states correctly that he has to coach the team to do things differently, but it's hard to do when what you were originally doing was correct. As far as the tourney I think the purpose of the whole season is to send the best team to the tourney to represent the league with the hope that they will do well and the league and its members will benefit. With the games all being played on Indy's home court they have gained an advantage and will profit from the homer switch. When they have a decent team they will have an unfair advantage against teams that would be better representatives of the league. This will be even more of an incentive for members to exit. I can not help but wonder if this was in the plans from the minute that IUPUI became a member.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Cleveland State is taking care of business, up on Milwaukee 46-37 at the half. If the Vikings can keep them pinned down for the second half, I’d say it’s extremely likely they are the two teams not going to the little horizon league dance.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Milwaukee lost and sits at 4-8. Even if they can somehow pick up wins against us and Oakland on their home court, they’d probably need a total implosion of us or YSU to make the HL tourney.

One interesting dynamic of the tourney is the reasonably good chance that we will face NKU as a 1v8 or 2v7. That matchup would take place at NKU. This after coach was reportedly swearing at the NKU fans after Thursday’s loss and saying we will be back next year. Truth is, we could be back in about three weeks.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Milwaukee lost and sits at 4-8. Even if they can somehow pick up wins against us and Oakland on their home court, they’d probably need a total implosion of us or YSU to make the HL tourney.

One interesting dynamic of the tourney is the reasonably good chance that we will face NKU as a 1v8 or 2v7. That matchup would take place at NKU. This after coach was reportedly swearing at the NKU fans after Thursday’s loss and saying we will be back next year. Truth is, we could be back in about three weeks.

You may be overly optimistic, Tacitus. If Milwaukee beats us on their home court on Thursday, they'll be just a half game back on us.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 am

Fair enough, I’m often accused of being overly optimistic.

But consider that if Milwaukee did beat us, they would sit at 5-8 and we would sit at 6-8. Milwaukee will then host OU, play tough games on the road at IUPUI and UIC before hosting the two top teams of NKU and WSU. After us, it’s a very tough stretch. I realize Milwaukee beat OU earlier, but it’s still just really hard to see Milwaukee getting 6 conference wins, and I think it’s also hard seeing us not find a 7th win (I think we are good for a win when we host IUPUI and UIC at the very end).

Of course, it’s HL basketball and anything can happen. If we lose on Thursday then we are a team really on the skids and Milwaukee is a team ... not on the rise ... I don’t know, they’re something.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:02 am

Just like that we are back at .500 and pretty much guaranteed a spot in the HL tourney. There are a lot of teams with 7 in the win column. It would be great to finish higher than 7th place to avoid NKU and WSU in the first round. The next two road games are tough - would be nice to get one of them.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:31 pm

Titans clinch a playoff spot after IUPUI defeats Milwaukee tonight 67-60 at the site of the 2020-2022 HL league tournament aka IUPUI's home court.

https://twitter.com/DetroitMBB/status/1099127066598039552
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:02 am

Who would we rather play in round one between NKU and WSU? Obviously it’d be best to not play either and we end up with Green Bay or someone else.

Tough call between NKU and WSU. NKU has had some struggles lately so I guess I’d pick them.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 pm

I would rather play WS I think they are much weaker than NK
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

With the amount of teams stacked up in the league standings, I was curious of the playoff tiebreakers. I went on the HL website and found this, it's from 2013. Does anyone have additional insight into the tie breakers?

http://horizonleague.org/news/2013/2/27 ... ath=mbball
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:31 pm

If we win tomorrow we could either play WSU, NKU or OU. Which team would you want to play?

I am split between OU or WSU. They both have an annoying fan that post on are board. On one hand we have beaten WSU and on the other hand it is a closer drive to go to the OU game.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball