The HL Power Poll

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

The HL Power Poll

Postby titanreggie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Hey Gang

The poll fell through and has been discontinued. It seems some of the contributors from around the league lost interest [not me].

Panther was not getting polls from all nine school reps, so he stopped it. He wants to try again next year on his Brew City Ball site but he's thinking about having beat writers from around the league do it. I think that's a shame in a way, though it took some time each week, I have always enjoyed keeping up with all of the league and tried to always do my homework to be pretty well informed. I enjoyed it was done by fans of the league, for fans of the league and to add the media to it for me is a bummer, but that's life. The pro writers should do it on the HL website in my opinion.

Just for fun, here were my picks for the week ending last Sunday.

1. Detroit

The Titans swept the Wisconsin schools over the weekend and have been on a roll of late. Their balanced scoring has been the big reason why. All five starters are averaging double figures in scoring and the bench continues to provide the necessary relief when needed.

2. Valpo

The Crusaders stumbled in their conference opener, losing at home to Loyola, but bounced back with a blowout win over CSU. Valpo, though senior laden, has had a problem with turnovers and has not played up to their potential. I still think they will right the ship and be a major player in the HL race.

3. Wright St.

The Raiders also swept the Wisconsin schools at home and they do it with defense. So far, WSU has gotten just enough offense to get wins. Though picked to finish low by experts, the Raiders continue to win proving that the games are won on the court, not in the media.

4. UIC

The Flames won their only conference game of the week knocking off Youngstown. The Flames got back to playing tough defense which had deserted them for a brief stretch. Playing at home gave them the confidence they needed and they figure to be tough to handle.

5. YSU

The Penguins went into Loyola and knocked off the hottest team in the league. Kendrick Perry led the way and this is a dangerous club with the ability to score plenty of points. They are experienced and confident and will be returning home to face Detroit on Thursday in what should be a great game.

6. Loyola

The Ramblers were on a high after knocking off Valpo but got clipped at home by YSU. LU has been getting good play from guards Cully Payne and Devon Turk and Averkamp is a stabilizing force for them. Waiting to see if this was a blip in the radar or the start of the fall.

7. Green Bay

Though the Phoenix lost twice this week, they hung tough in both road games. They certainly gave Detroit all they wanted before falling at Calihan Hall. Greg Mays has been playing great ball and along with Sykes and Brown, the Phoenix must feel like they are getting it together. Getting three players back to fill out their roster also helped and maybe they are ready to begin their climb.

8. Cleveland St.

The Vikings have struggled badly scoring points this past week. Though Bryn Forbes has provided some scoring, the Vikes have been very inconsistent as they adjust to overcome the loss of Grady. Charlie Lee did not have a good week shooting the ball and they need him to lead and score and it hasn't happened. They are home this week in league play and we'll see if they can get it together.

9. Milwaukee

The Panthers dropped two more games but not without a fight. They led at the half in Detroit and battled to the bitter end at Wright St. falling just short. Their offense just has not produced and I'm sure Coach Jeter is very frustrated as well as his club. I have a feeling they are going to explode on someone and have a big day. Until that happens, they must reside in the basement.
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball