Tariq Jones Suing

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Tariq Jones Suing

Postby titanmike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 am

Anyone notice that Jones is suing Bacari Alexander, Robert Vowels and the University for the "incident"?
titanmike
Senior

Re: Tariq Jones Suing

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:20 am

Under title IX. Jones couldn’t cut it as a D1 basketball player or university student and now he’s suing using a statute created to protect little girls. Because a coach was tough on him? I think this will go nowhere and just end up hurting Jones in the long run. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe we will make it to the WNBA?

Sad.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:38 pm

As someone with a daughter (who could probably whoop your a** in any sport of your choice), a sister (who could undoubtedly destroy you physically) and a mother, I find your sexist comments - using "little girls" as a pejorative - to be offensive and severely outdated.
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Hey, I’m all for women using title IX to do what it’s intended for. I don’t feel a man using the statute (because BA allegedly said those three words) is what the law was intended for. His lawyer is no doubt a shyster. I think you said before you’re not an alum. Sorry, but I get offended when my alma mater offers someone a full ride scholarship and then turns around and mocks our legal system and sues the small university that took a chance on him.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rumpole59 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 pm

T651’s “His lawyer is no doubt a shyster” strikes me as out of line.

I believe Title IX protects all students from sexual violence, regardless of the sex of the alleged perpetrator or complainant, so as to cover cases involving members of the same sex. Jones’s Complaint alleges the incident was sexually charged and that may be sufficient under Title IX.

The Complaint also alleges a tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress, which seems like a claim that’s well-suited to the facts.

Jones’s lead attorney is a graduate of our Law School and his junior attorney apparently attended U. of D. Jesuit H.S. and the U. of M. before Cooley Law.

It seems to me the lawyers are doing their jobs to try to win some recourse for their client.
Rumpole59
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 am

OK. So, the lawyers are not shysters. That does not mean that their complaint has merit. And since he is suing my university, my bias is against Jones and his lawyers.

Jones and his parents were represented by a lawyer from the outset. Their lawyer talked directly to the Free Press at the time that paper broke the story in November-December 2017. To me, this shows that Jones and his parents were planning a lawsuit all along when the university did not fire Bacari immediately in response to their complaint.

Also, I wonder how young Mr. Jones will feel when all of his records, grades, psych (if any) and medical histories become part of the public record. He will lose FERPA protection for academic records all the way back to Dakota HS. The entire history of his signing a letter of intent at Louisiana-Monroe and then either reneging on it or asking for a withdrawal from it will now become public. And, most importantly, his entire behavior on the team will become public. Including what he said to Bacari that prompted the response. And what he had been saying to Bacari before that incident that may have led Bacari to respond the way he did. And finally, Jones will have to explain why he continued to practice and play on the team after Bacari returned from his suspension.
ptctitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball