Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Purdue Fort Wayne is scheduled to make a "major athletic announcement" at 10:00 a.m. press conference on Tuesday, August 6. ESPN reporting purpose is to announce move to Horizon League.

https://espn991.com/purdue-fort-wayne-l ... on-league/
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Purdue-Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby uofdfan1983 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:24 pm

I better hurry and purchase my Tournament Passes before they sell out. Yippee.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 pm

An article offering information plus analysis from a Summit League perspective:

https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/aug ... ue/924895/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Active discussion of this development on the Horizon League fan message board:

http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net ... w-ready-hl
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:56 am

Like the one article said, it’s a horizontal move for PFW. I’ve accepted some time ago that HL is only marginally better than Summit. I’m indifferent about PFW joining. If anything, I’m happy for their student athletes. We have these kids travel way too much and miss way too many classes. PFW athletes shouldn’t need to fly to the Dakotas to play games when they could take a bus to places like Chicago, Indy or Detroit. If it were up to me we’d realign all of these mid major conferences by geography.

Big question is, how long will HL stay at 11 members? Is someone leaving? If not, are there schools that would make sense to be #12?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Like the one article said, it’s a horizontal move for PFW. I’ve accepted some time ago that HL is only marginally better than Summit. I’m indifferent about PFW joining. If anything, I’m happy for their student athletes. We have these kids travel way too much and miss way too many classes. PFW athletes shouldn’t need to fly to the Dakotas to play games when they could take a bus to places like Chicago, Indy or Detroit. If it were up to me we’d realign all of these mid major conferences by geography.

Big question is, how long will HL stay at 11 members? Is someone leaving? If not, are there schools that would make sense to be #12?

This move seems to solidify that the Horizon is looking to stay geographically compact. In these increasingly cost-conscious times for higher ed, perhaps that is a quite understandable position to take. So I wouldn’t look for additions like Grand Canyon or New Mexico State, rumored in the past. Probably the best fit for a 12th member would be Robert Morris. They’ve just built a very nice new basketball facility, and their Pittsburgh location puts them on the periphery of the league’s footprint. I don’t think anyone is leaving anytime soon, and the conference probably doesn’t feel an urgency to make it an even dozen.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:29 am

I agree we shouldn’t add a school just to get to 12. Never know what the future holds. Could be some D2 schools in the region that transition to D1. Maybe at some point one of the MAC schools will drop football and need a new home. Glad the league is staying compact.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Underwhelming to say the least. But in our HL sports, we have to win.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:55 pm

yippee
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Tony Paul’s article in the Detroit News

“Purdue-Fort Wayne latest to join Horizon League; it brings much-needed baseball team”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 932175001/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanarama » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 pm

Is that sarcasm I'm reading, Mac ?? :)
No MERCY in Detroit.
titanarama
Senior

Postby DetroitRocket » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:21 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Like the one article said, it’s a horizontal move for PFW. I’ve accepted some time ago that HL is only marginally better than Summit. I’m indifferent about PFW joining. If anything, I’m happy for their student athletes. We have these kids travel way too much and miss way too many classes. PFW athletes shouldn’t need to fly to the Dakotas to play games when they could take a bus to places like Chicago, Indy or Detroit. If it were up to me we’d realign all of these mid major conferences by geography.

This move seems to solidify that the Horizon is looking to stay geographically compact. In these increasingly cost-conscious times for higher ed, perhaps that is a quite understandable position to take. So I wouldn’t look for additions like Grand Canyon or New Mexico State, rumored in the past. Probably the best fit for a 12th member would be Robert Morris. They’ve just built a very nice new basketball facility, and their Pittsburgh location puts them on the periphery of the league’s footprint. I don’t think anyone is leaving anytime soon, and the conference probably doesn’t feel an urgency to make it an even dozen.

Not sure about Robert Morris. They play football and ice hockey. They have a new arena, but it seats only 4,000.
DetroitRocket
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Pretty good analysis in this Green Bay article:

https://phearthephoenix.wordpress.com/2 ... on-league/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby DetroitRocket » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Pretty good analysis in this Green Bay article:

https://phearthephoenix.wordpress.com/2 ... on-league/

What is the academic fit LeCrone is talking about? Some schools have robust PhD programs while others are basically masters institutions who do almost no research. What are the other "fit" prerequisites?
DetroitRocket
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:19 am

DetroitRocket wrote: What are the other "fit" prerequisites?

Being on or close to I-69? :mrgreen:
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:10 am

Being a rockbottom academic school with a directional name that means nothing to the average basketball fan?
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:03 pm

I would rather we go to a conf with small private schools, the one Canisius is in for instance.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:I would rather we go to a conf with small private schools, the one Canisius is in for instance.

We’d be a perfect institutional fit for the MAAC, Canisius’ league, but that is a New York state based conference and it would likely double the travel budget. (FWIW, the Titans currently are an associate member of the MAAC for men’s Lacrosse.)

I think Detroit Mercy’s best chance of leaving the Horizon would be if there was an implosion in the MVC splitting the public and private schools. Midwestern private schools like Loyola, Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Valparaiso, Detroit Mercy, Bellarmine, and Belmont could join forces — the MCC 2.0.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Resurget Cineribus wrote:I would rather we go to a conf with small private schools, the one Canisius is in for instance.

We’d be a perfect institutional fit for the MAAC, Canisius’ league, but that is a New York state based conference and it would likely double the travel budget. (FWIW, the Titans currently are an associate member of the MAAC for men’s Lacrosse.)

I think Detroit Mercy’s best chance of leaving the Horizon would be if there was an implosion in the MVC splitting the public and private schools. Midwestern private schools like Loyola, Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Valparaiso, Detroit Mercy, Bellarmine, and Belmont could join forces — the MCC 2.0.

If the main / only roadblock to leaving the Horizon and joining the MAAC is the increase in travel costs, the alumni and friends who want the move should find out the cost, band together and pledge the funds.

(BTW, what is the MAAC league ranking? Is it really a step up, or just a step out of the HL?)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball