Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:18 pm

ptctitan wrote:Things are different at this time.

The coaching staff together with the Athletic Department is submitting to the university a specific plan to move the men's BB program up to a consistently higher level of performance. This will require a significant commitment of financial resources. "Better" conferences will need to see this type of commitment before they would even consider us. This effort has a good chance of being approved and announced later this year. The announcement would contain the specific improvements that would be made and the amount of money needed to make each one of them. Already, donors have pledged about $100K for specific improvements that are being made right now. These are more than just cosmetic changes to a locker room.

I would hope that every poster here who has been complaining about nothing being done would support this effort. There are many different ways to show support that are consistent with your own personal or family situations. It could be as simple as buying season tickets again. Or attending more games. Or actually yelling and cheering for the Titans when you attend more games. Or writing a letter of support when the plan is announced. Or buying a Titan Club membership even though the cost is higher than it was 7 years ago. Or making a donation to fund the plan. A greater width and depth of support will attract more big money from alumni, corporations, and other potential partners. More importantly, a better men's BB program will attract more new student applications and help place the entire university on a more sound financial foundation.

We have an opportunity right now to try and succeed. Hopefully, when it is announced formally, you will support it.

A friend of mine called today to tell me he recently received two pieces of mail from the University. On Saturday, it was a solicitation to join the Titan Club and buy MBB season tickets. Today he got an invitation for the Fall Festival Homecoming. (I received the same mailings, assume many other folks that post here did as well.) My friend said he doesn’t recall getting anything from Detroit Mercy in some time, despite making contributions to the basketball program several years ago. Appears the school has expanded their mailing list in an attempt to engage more alumni and raise additional revenue. In the big scheme of things this may seem like small potatoes, but perhaps it’s a sign that things are starting to turn around.

I read that President Garibaldi was scheduled to address faculty and staff today, with remarks outlining the 2019-24 strategic plan for Detroit Mercy. I assume that we will all hear more about the plan and what specific improvements are in store for the Titan athletic program in the near future.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Commissioner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 am

ptctitan wrote:Things are different at this time.

The coaching staff together with the Athletic Department is submitting to the university a specific plan to move the men's BB program up to a consistently higher level of performance. This will require a significant commitment of financial resources. "Better" conferences will need to see this type of commitment before they would even consider us. This effort has a good chance of being approved and announced later this year. The announcement would contain the specific improvements that would be made and the amount of money needed to make each one of them. Already, donors have pledged about $100K for specific improvements that are being made right now. These are more than just cosmetic changes to a locker room.

I would hope that every poster here who has been complaining about nothing being done would support this effort. There are many different ways to show support that are consistent with your own personal or family situations. It could be as simple as buying season tickets again. Or attending more games. Or actually yelling and cheering for the Titans when you attend more games. Or writing a letter of support when the plan is announced. Or buying a Titan Club membership even though the cost is higher than it was 7 years ago. Or making a donation to fund the plan. A greater width and depth of support will attract more big money from alumni, corporations, and other potential partners. More importantly, a better men's BB program will attract more new student applications and help place the entire university on a more sound financial foundation.

We have an opportunity right now to try and succeed. Hopefully, when it is announced formally, you will support it.

+1
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby dennycrane » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:48 pm

When you say, pct, that a plan is being developed "to move the men's BB program up to a consistently higher level of performance", does that mean joining a better league? Because, in the spring of 2017, when asked how "married" the school is to the Horizon League, Mr Vowels responded "very married". I realize we have a different, and better, coach than we had then. But, we appear to be having some difficulty getting impact players at the same time. You have certain insights. What is the 3-5 year outlook, in your opinion?
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm

dennycrane wrote:When you say, pct, that a plan is being developed "to move the men's BB program up to a consistently higher level of performance", does that mean joining a better league? Because, in the spring of 2017, when asked how "married" the school is to the Horizon League, Mr Vowels responded "very married". I realize we have a different, and better, coach than we had then. But, we appear to be having some difficulty getting impact players at the same time. You have certain insights. What is the 3-5 year outlook, in your opinion?

Generally speaking, when someone asks you in public “how married are you,” the best response is always “very married.”
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby ptctitan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 pm

dennycrane wrote:When you say, pct, that a plan is being developed "to move the men's BB program up to a consistently higher level of performance", does that mean joining a better league? Because, in the spring of 2017, when asked how "married" the school is to the Horizon League, Mr Vowels responded "very married". I realize we have a different, and better, coach than we had then. But, we appear to be having some difficulty getting impact players at the same time. You have certain insights. What is the 3-5 year outlook, in your opinion?


The coaches believe that they can build a men's BB team that will appear regularly in the NCAA tournament and win multiple games in each tournament appearance. They have identified and prioritized a list of improvements that will enable them to reach this goal in the near future. If we, as a group, to the best of our abilities and individual resources, join this plan, it will not matter what league we play in. See rogobob's post above.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Big Chuck » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:36 pm

ptctitan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:When you say, pct, that a plan is being developed "to move the men's BB program up to a consistently higher level of performance", does that mean joining a better league? Because, in the spring of 2017, when asked how "married" the school is to the Horizon League, Mr Vowels responded "very married". I realize we have a different, and better, coach than we had then. But, we appear to be having some difficulty getting impact players at the same time. You have certain insights. What is the 3-5 year outlook, in your opinion?


The coaches believe that they can build a men's BB team that will appear regularly in the NCAA tournament and win multiple games in each tournament appearance. They have identified and prioritized a list of improvements that will enable them to reach this goal in the near future. If we, as a group, to the best of our abilities and individual resources, join this plan, it will not matter what league we play in. See rogobob's post above.


Which league we play in certainly will not make a difference in the 3-5 year time frame. Just win baby win! we have to have the facility improvements to attract the talent. That is a far bigger anchor than if we were in the Missouri Valley or similar conference. Open your wallets.....
Big Chuck
Senior
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby ptctitan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Big Chuck wrote:Which league we play in certainly will not make a difference in the 3-5 year time frame. Just win baby win! we have to have the facility improvements to attract the talent. That is a far bigger anchor than if we were in the Missouri Valley or similar conference. Open your wallets.....


Exactly!
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby dennycrane » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 pm

I'm afraid it does matter what league we play in, in regards to getting all these future bids you gentlemen envision us getting. The Horizon is very clearly a one bid league each year and it's gotten weaker in the past 5 years. There is no alternate team selected if our outstanding team, assuming we have one, gets upset in the conference tournament. If your leading scorer gets the flu in the first week of March, good chance you miss the NCAAs. If your superb point guard sprains his ankle in the final regular season game, good chance you miss the NCAAs. In short, a lot can happen on the way to the Dance.

It's not that way in the A-10 or perhaps the MVC. The A-10 has been averaging 3 teams per year recently getting in. The MVC is not as prolific with Wichita gone but some years they get two. It's as simple as that.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 pm

dennycrane wrote:I'm afraid it does matter what league we play in, in regards to getting all these future bids you gentlemen envision us getting. The Horizon is very clearly a one bid league each year and it's gotten weaker in the past 5 years. There is no alternate team selected if our outstanding team, assuming we have one, gets upset in the conference tournament. If your leading scorer gets the flu in the first week of March, good chance you miss the NCAAs. If your superb point guard sprains his ankle in the final regular season game, good chance you miss the NCAAs. In short, a lot can happen on the way to the Dance.

It's not that way in the A-10 or perhaps the MVC. The A-10 has been averaging 3 teams per year recently getting in. The MVC is not as prolific with Wichita gone but some years they get two. It's as simple as that.

The MVC has not received an at-large invite the last three years (Wichita St. has been gone for the last two). Post-Shockers, most college basketball analysts consider it to be a one-bid league going forward. Last season, the two best MVC teams ranked #78 and #133 in RPI, far outside at-large range.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby ptctitan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:50 am

dennycrane wrote:I'm afraid it does matter what league we play in, in regards to getting all these future bids you gentlemen envision us getting. The Horizon is very clearly a one bid league each year and it's gotten weaker in the past 5 years. There is no alternate team selected if our outstanding team, assuming we have one, gets upset in the conference tournament. If your leading scorer gets the flu in the first week of March, good chance you miss the NCAAs. If your superb point guard sprains his ankle in the final regular season game, good chance you miss the NCAAs. In short, a lot can happen on the way to the Dance.

It's not that way in the A-10 or perhaps the MVC. The A-10 has been averaging 3 teams per year recently getting in. The MVC is not as prolific with Wichita gone but some years they get two. It's as simple as that.


Who said anything about needing an at-large bid in most years?

So, you think we should do nothing and wait until we are asked into a "better conference" because 20 years ago, we beat St. John's in the NCAA? How about we first show that we can contend for the HL championship on a regular basis? You do realize, don't you, that starting with the 2004-05 season, we have only recorded 4 winning regular season records in the HL? And three of those occurred when Ray Jr was our point guard. Our conference record over that same time period is 109-149. Yep, currently, we are a really attractive potential addition for the A-10. :P

The league is not the problem. I'll be blunt here. The problem has been the university's view of athletics and the belief of too many alumni and fans that somehow a magic wand can be waived over this program and our former glory will be restored. Too many are like the guy in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kXIGvB1uU

What's different now is that under Garibaldi and the trustees, the view of athletics has changed for the better. Now, we need the alumni and fans to push them even farther and faster in the right direction. We clean up our own mess first. Then, we can become a more attractive candidate for a multi-bid league. Until then, we strive to become a regular contender in the HL.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Commissioner » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:44 pm

First, I'm all in favor of trying to get into a better conference. For me, the A10 would be the goal. And as I've argued here many times, and as PTC says, to do that we've got to have something to offer. Right now, we don't have much.

That said, here's a serious question. Who would rather be:

DePaul: Plays in P6 Conference. Gets automatic home games each year with Marquette, Xavier, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Creighton, Butler,...; since joining Big East, has had two winning seasons in 14 years; has more than 4 conference wins only twice in the past 11 years; has averaged 11.6 overall wins per season; has not played in the NCAA, and played in 1 NIT (in year 2 of the 14); has never been nationally ranked;
or
Murray State: plays in "1 bid" Ohio Valley Conference; in the same 14 year period, has had just 1 losing season (16-17), and no losing seasons in conference play; has averaged 23 wins per year; has 5 NCAA appearances and 2 NIT appearances; has been nationally ranked in two seasons.

Who would you rather be:
Duquesne: Plays in highly respectable, mulit-bid A10, guaranteeing home games (most years) with such old Titan rivals as Dayton, St. Louis, St. Bonaventure, and La Salle; in last 20 years (since UD's last NCAA win, and a nice round number) has just 5 winning records, 3 winning records in conference play, averaging 12.7 wins per year; 0 NCAA appearances, 1 NIT, never nationally ranked
or
Iona: Plays in one-bid MAAC; in last 20 years has had 15 winning records (the last 12 in a row), 15 winning seasons in conference play, averaging 18.4 wins per year; 9 NCAA appearances and 2 NITs; never nationally ranked.

Personally I would prefer to be DePaul or Duquesne, because it offers a much higher upside. But it certainly is worth thinking about. In many ways, it has to be more fun to be a Murray State or Iona fan than a DePaul or Duquesne fan. And of course, Murray State is frequently discussed as a possible MVC candidate, while Iona would probably be a solid A10 candidate if they wanted it.

I'm not saying settle for less. I think being in the position of any 4 of those schools would be better than where we are and offer still more upside. I'm just suggesting it's worth thinking about where we want to be and how to get there.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby titanmike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:14 pm

ptctitan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:I'm afraid it does matter what league we play in, in regards to getting all these future bids you gentlemen envision us getting. The Horizon is very clearly a one bid league each year and it's gotten weaker in the past 5 years. There is no alternate team selected if our outstanding team, assuming we have one, gets upset in the conference tournament. If your leading scorer gets the flu in the first week of March, good chance you miss the NCAAs. If your superb point guard sprains his ankle in the final regular season game, good chance you miss the NCAAs. In short, a lot can happen on the way to the Dance.

It's not that way in the A-10 or perhaps the MVC. The A-10 has been averaging 3 teams per year recently getting in. The MVC is not as prolific with Wichita gone but some years they get two. It's as simple as that.


Who said anything about needing an at-large bid in most years?

So, you think we should do nothing and wait until we are asked into a "better conference" because 20 years ago, we beat St. John's in the NCAA? How about we first show that we can contend for the HL championship on a regular basis? You do realize, don't you, that starting with the 2004-05 season, we have only recorded 4 winning regular season records in the HL? And three of those occurred when Ray Jr was our point guard. Our conference record over that same time period is 109-149. Yep, currently, we are a really attractive potential addition for the A-10. :P

The league is not the problem. I'll be blunt here. The problem has been the university's view of athletics and the belief of too many alumni and fans that somehow a magic wand can be waived over this program and our former glory will be restored. Too many are like the guy in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kXIGvB1uU

What's different now is that under Garibaldi and the trustees, the view of athletics has changed for the better. Now, we need the alumni and fans to push them even farther and faster in the right direction. We clean up our own mess first. Then, we can become a more attractive candidate for a multi-bid league. Until then, we strive to become a regular contender in the HL.


While I agree that Garibaldi and the trustees have stepped it up a bit I would argue we have been let down by feasibility studies. Studies thath suggested going back to the old name would be beneficial. Would of probably infused some cash.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:42 pm

I’m less and less convinced that athletics, especially MBB, can ever really break out to the next level without the name change back to UD. I’m not suggesting that we couldn’t have a good year or two in hoops, make the NCAA a couple times and maybe even win a game. We have an amazing coach that has pretty much won everywhere he’s been, and AD is the kind of player a mid major program gets maybe once or twice per generation. But, eventually becoming a program like Gonzaga or even Dayton? Honestly, I just don’t see it happening. The rebrand has totally failed and I don’t think that you can market and promote a college athletics program effectively when the alumni, community, and even current students interchangeably refer to the school and team in numerous ways. And that’s not even taking into account that we might reasonably assume many prospective recruits are turned off by having Mercy in the name.

Rogo has has an older thread about different media entities and how they refer to us. I’m sure some people are thinking if we just WIN then everything will just work out. We’d be the college basketball equivalent of that restaurant that has decent food but a really bad name that no one can ever get right.

I think U of Detroit would have been incredibly marketable to MBB players, the public, and prospective students in general. I know part of the argument was that Mercy in the name appropriately identifies our catholic heritage and mission. Maybe that’s true, but you don’t need catholic language in your name to honor your catholicity. Is Dayton any less “Catholic” because their name isn’t University of Dayton Marianists? No. They’re a very respected catholic institution and probably known as one of the best when it comes to a religious mission. I just don’t see “Detroit Mercy” ever catching on with fans external to the university when our current student body rejects the name 30 years after the merger.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Commissioner » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I’m less and less convinced that athletics, especially MBB, can ever really break out to the next level without the name change back to UD. I’m not suggesting that we couldn’t have a good year or two in hoops, make the NCAA a couple times and maybe even win a game. We have an amazing coach that has pretty much won everywhere he’s been, and AD is the kind of player a mid major program gets maybe once or twice per generation. But, eventually becoming a program like Gonzaga or even Dayton? Honestly, I just don’t see it happening. The rebrand has totally failed and I don’t think that you can market and promote a college athletics program effectively when the alumni, community, and even current students interchangeably refer to the school and team in numerous ways. And that’s not even taking into account that we might reasonably assume many prospective recruits are turned off by having Mercy in the name.

Rogo has has an older thread about different media entities and how they refer to us. I’m sure some people are thinking if we just WIN then everything will just work out. We’d be the college basketball equivalent of that restaurant that has decent food but a really bad name that no one can ever get right.

I think U of Detroit would have been incredibly marketable to MBB players, the public, and prospective students in general. I know part of the argument was that Mercy in the name appropriately identifies our catholic heritage and mission. Maybe that’s true, but you don’t need catholic language in your name to honor your catholicity. Is Dayton any less “Catholic” because their name isn’t University of Dayton Marianists? No. They’re a very respected catholic institution and probably known as one of the best when it comes to a religious mission. I just don’t see “Detroit Mercy” ever catching on with fans external to the university when our current student body rejects the name 30 years after the merger.

The funny thing is, it was never "Detroit Jesuit," (like, say, Wheeling Jesuit). So even though the Sisters are owed a great debt, why should it be "Detroit Mercy?"
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby ptctitan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Do you want a team that will win the HL's automatic bid on a regular basis or are you more comfortable with a lower performing team because that permits you to bitch continually about the same issues over and over again?

We are who we are; and, we play where we play. Neither fact prevents us from building a much better flagship men's program that will become a destination to be considered by more and more of the better players. Despite the many opinions here, the coaching staff believes that they can make "it" happen here in the HL and with the name Detroit Mercy.

Do you want this to happen?
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:17 pm

ptctitan wrote:Do you want a team that will win the HL's automatic bid on a regular basis or are you more comfortable with a lower performing team because that permits you to bitch continually about the same issues over and over again?

We are who we are; and, we play where we play. Neither fact prevents us from building a much better flagship men's program that will become a destination to be considered by more and more of the better players. Despite the many opinions here, the coaching staff believes that they can make "it" happen here in the HL and with the name Detroit Mercy.

Do you want this to happen?


(1) I would actually be content with a team that won the HL on average every 4 years or so and didn’t have post season bans. Some people bitch about the rebrand, some bitch about the quality of the conference. What’s the difference? It’s an online message board meant to discuss anything.

(2) We are who we are, but I’m simply stating my opinion that who we are is incredibly burdensome to market. That’s my opinion, you don’t have to like it or accept it. I was replying to a post made by Mike directly above. As to the argument that the coaching staff believes it can happen here, to play devil’s advocate, don’t they kind of have to say that? Do you really think Davis would make public comments about the challenges that come with the name when it comes to scheduling or recruiting? I don’t believe so. Most college coaches don’t get involved or speak publicly about things they simply can’t change. They say token positive messages to appease people.

(3) Yes, I want this to happen but I guess I’m much less encouraged than you and some others that it will. Doesn’t make me any less of a fan than you, just a different point of view. Being passionate about something doesn’t necessarily mean you defend or support it without any criticism.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby titanmike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:33 pm

ptctitan wrote:Do you want a team that will win the HL's automatic bid on a regular basis or are you more comfortable with a lower performing team because that permits you to bitch continually about the same issues over and over again?

We are who we are; and, we play where we play. Neither fact prevents us from building a much better flagship men's program that will become a destination to be considered by more and more of the better players. Despite the many opinions here, the coaching staff believes that they can make "it" happen here in the HL and with the name Detroit Mercy.

Do you want this to happen?


I think your assuming that myself or others who respond with this opinion don't do squat financially or otherwise? I think those that you would want to address are the very same people who agree that this is one issue that is a road block. They just don't post on a messageboard, they withhold funds.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I’m less and less convinced that athletics, especially MBB, can ever really break out to the next level without the name change back to UD. I’m not suggesting that we couldn’t have a good year or two in hoops, make the NCAA a couple times and maybe even win a game. We have an amazing coach that has pretty much won everywhere he’s been, and AD is the kind of player a mid major program gets maybe once or twice per generation. But, eventually becoming a program like Gonzaga or even Dayton? Honestly, I just don’t see it happening. The rebrand has totally failed and I don’t think that you can market and promote a college athletics program effectively when the alumni, community, and even current students interchangeably refer to the school and team in numerous ways. And that’s not even taking into account that we might reasonably assume many prospective recruits are turned off by having Mercy in the name.

Rogo has has an older thread about different media entities and how they refer to us. I’m sure some people are thinking if we just WIN then everything will just work out. We’d be the college basketball equivalent of that restaurant that has decent food but a really bad name that no one can ever get right.

I think U of Detroit would have been incredibly marketable to MBB players, the public, and prospective students in general. I know part of the argument was that Mercy in the name appropriately identifies our catholic heritage and mission. Maybe that’s true, but you don’t need catholic language in your name to honor your catholicity. Is Dayton any less “Catholic” because their name isn’t University of Dayton Marianists? No. They’re a very respected catholic institution and probably known as one of the best when it comes to a religious mission. I just don’t see “Detroit Mercy” ever catching on with fans external to the university when our current student body rejects the name 30 years after the merger.

A year ago I did a survey of 19 national media outlets and found that 8 (42%) used "Detroit Mercy," and 11 (58%) "Detroit” in referring to the Titan program. I am almost done with this year’s survey but can say right now in September 2019 (more than two years after the major rebrand rollout) it’s almost (if not exactly) the same breakdown. In the recent Horizon podcast, league commissioner LeCrone is interviewed and refers to the school multiple times as “Detroit.” Smart people and institutions are usually able to admit when something isn’t working and are willing to go back to the drawing board to fix things, but I don’t see that happening with branding anytime soon.

FWIW, circa 1993, I asked then AD Brad Kinsman what motivated the decision to brand Titan athletics as “Detroit.” He responded saying the “Detroit Mercy” brand was significantly detrimental to recruiting and out of conference scheduling.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby ptctitan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Do you want a team that will win the HL's automatic bid on a regular basis or are you more comfortable with a lower performing team because that permits you to bitch continually about the same issues over and over again?

We are who we are; and, we play where we play. Neither fact prevents us from building a much better flagship men's program that will become a destination to be considered by more and more of the better players. Despite the many opinions here, the coaching staff believes that they can make "it" happen here in the HL and with the name Detroit Mercy.

Do you want this to happen?


(1) I would actually be content with a team that won the HL on average every 4 years or so and didn’t have post season bans. Some people bitch about the rebrand, some bitch about the quality of the conference. What’s the difference? It’s an online message board meant to discuss anything.

(2) We are who we are, but I’m simply stating my opinion that who we are is incredibly burdensome to market. That’s my opinion, you don’t have to like it or accept it. I was replying to a post made by Mike directly above. As to the argument that the coaching staff believes it can happen here, to play devil’s advocate, don’t they kind of have to say that? Do you really think Davis would make public comments about the challenges that come with the name when it comes to scheduling or recruiting? I don’t believe so. Most college coaches don’t get involved or speak publicly about things they simply can’t change. They say token positive messages to appease people.

(3) Yes, I want this to happen but I guess I’m much less encouraged than you and some others that it will. Doesn’t make me any less of a fan than you, just a different point of view. Being passionate about something doesn’t necessarily mean you defend or support it without any criticism.


Not accusing anyone of being a better or worse fan than someone else. I'm just pointing out that we have a chance right now to take some serious steps in the right direction because the university (for various reasons) is not hostile to us making this effort. I think we should make a concerted effort to upgrade the basketball program now and deal with the name and conference later. This window of opportunity may not remain open forever.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Purdue Fort Wayne to join Horizon League

Postby ptctitan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:52 pm

titanmike wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Do you want a team that will win the HL's automatic bid on a regular basis or are you more comfortable with a lower performing team because that permits you to bitch continually about the same issues over and over again?

We are who we are; and, we play where we play. Neither fact prevents us from building a much better flagship men's program that will become a destination to be considered by more and more of the better players. Despite the many opinions here, the coaching staff believes that they can make "it" happen here in the HL and with the name Detroit Mercy.

Do you want this to happen?


I think your assuming that myself or others who respond with this opinion don't do squat financially or otherwise? I think those that you would want to address are the very same people who agree that this is one issue that is a road block. They just don't post on a messageboard, they withhold funds.


No. I'm asking what is more important. A winning program or the school's name. A winning program or the conference in which we play. I don't like the name; and, I would prefer to be in a conference with schools with whom we have much more in common than these larger state government supported universities.

However, as I have thought through these issues, my number 1 priority has become a consistently winning flagship men's basketball team. The conference in which we play and the awkward name on the jerseys is less important to me than the W-L record. Therefore, I will support to the best of my ability the planned fundraising effort to improve the men's BB team. And I will continue to make my checks payable to "University of Detroit."
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests