Appeal

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Appeal

Postby Commissioner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:19 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
titanmike wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I just don’t see the NCAA nudging on this one. They’ve been more lenient in recent years with individual players and waivers to accommodate student athletes, but not so much with appeals and waivers from schools themselves.

You can say that the penalties punish kids who had nothing to do with the violations or APR in this case, but I think the rules were designed rightly or wrongly with that in mind. Ultimately, we hired a bad coach who himself was in the spotlight by allegedly verbally abusing a player, and so from the outside looking in it appears we let a man create a toxic environment where young men couldn’t get their college degrees. JJJ and JB enrolling at LIU helps our case, but I’ll be shocked if we win.

Of what I know or have been told however only one of the kids who BA brought in, struggled academically. Those kids who could of gotten degrees, JJJ and JB both had excellent GPA's.

Jalen Gibson was also Bakari's and he would still be on the books.

Gibson was recruited by Ray. He was dismissed from the team along with Paris Bass after spring term 2016 (I assume both failed academically).
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Incorrect, Jalen was Ray's and was dismissed by Bacari. In answer to UP.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am

Noting really new to report, but Vowels addressed the APR ban appeal issue as item #1 in remarks at Thursday’s Titan Roundball Luncheon. He said we’re still waiting to hear from the NCAA, thought we had a strong case, sounded hopeful, did not offer a timeframe for when the matter might be fully adjudicated.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Noting really new to report, but Vowels addressed the APR ban appeal issue as item #1 in remarks at Thursday’s Titan Roundball Luncheon. He said we’re still waiting to hear from the NCAA, thought we had a strong case, sounded hopeful, did not offer a timeframe for when the matter might be fully adjudicated.

Does it matter?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Commissioner wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Noting really new to report, but Vowels addressed the APR ban appeal issue as item #1 in remarks at Thursday’s Titan Roundball Luncheon. He said we’re still waiting to hear from the NCAA, thought we had a strong case, sounded hopeful, did not offer a timeframe for when the matter might be fully adjudicated.

Does it matter?

I realize you’re be facetious, but I think it does matter. For one, it would probably help enormously with recruiting. I could see a lot of recruits feeling uneasy about a team that has a current postseason ban and worried that the APR might dip back down again. Sure, most of us could explain why that is unlikely to happen and the odd circumstances that led to the current ban, but I think it’d be much easier for recruiting to just have the issue go away.

Does it matter to the extent that we might actually make a postseason appearance should the ban be lifted? Here, I think your facetiousness is warranted. I see no scenario where this team wins a HL tournament or HL regular season title, unfortunately.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Does it matter to the extent that we might actually make a postseason appearance should the ban be lifted? Here, I think your facetiousness is warranted. I see no scenario where this team wins a HL tournament or HL regular season title, unfortunately.

Not if we continue to play like we just did in the State of Ohio. The objective is to be playing most games in March like we did against UC-Irvine just 12 days ago. It's up to the players to make the effort they showed vs UCI at every game from Saturday forward. Then, a waiver of the postseason ban would be important.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 am

I'm not sold that the effort was the difference between UCI and the rest of our games. We shot abnormally well vs. UCI, especially from deep. We need to figure out how to win games even when we don't go 15-32 from three point land. Judging from the rest of the games we've played, odds are better that we shoot 30% from deep than reproduce that. Hopefully the 3-point shooting stabilizes somewhere in the mid-30% range as the season goes on and we start playing some games in Calihan. Basically, we beat UCI by 12 while making 6 more 3's than we normally do... which makes sense.

We really need to find a way to shoot the ball better. I don't know that we have the horses to turn this team into a dominant defensive squad. If we know that we'll be giving up a decent amount of points each time we see a solid offensive team... we need to find scoring, quick.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:22 pm

This team can play some ferocious defense, but at the cost of sitting most of the best scorers. When this team's best scorers on the floor, but they are not good defenders.

Of the top four scorers -- AD, Miller, Calipari, Isiani -- only AD plays top defense.

The strong defensive squad includes AD, Moore, Boe, Brandon. The last three on the list are low on the scoring averages.

Only one player on the team has more assists than turnovers: Brandon.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 am

From the Green Bay Press Gazette, appears things are still in a state of limbo:

“While the top two teams automatically earn a double bye into the semifinals of the league tournament, there is a chance getting the No. 3 seed will offer a significant bonus.  

“Detroit was ruled ineligible for postseason play in May after scoring below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Rate during the previous four years, but it remains to be seen if that will happen.  

“‘We are still awaiting decision on our appeal,’ said P.J. Gradowski, the director of athletic communications for Detroit.”

Full story:

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/st ... 723871002/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:57 am

Rogobob77 wrote:From the Green Bay Press Gazette, appears things are still in a state of limbo:

“While the top two teams automatically earn a double bye into the semifinals of the league tournament, there is a chance getting the No. 3 seed will offer a significant bonus.  

“Detroit was ruled ineligible for postseason play in May after scoring below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Rate during the previous four years, but it remains to be seen if that will happen.  

“‘We are still awaiting decision on our appeal,’ said P.J. Gradowski, the director of athletic communications for Detroit.”

Full story:

JJ Sr is still taking this program as his hostage. I am shock that they have his stuff up in Cali hall. His son and his son best friend didn't enroll for one year ruining are APR rating. No reason he could of gone to LUI and been redshirted. I believe this mean we will still be under violation next year too because we have a rating of 826 (2017-2018), 960 (2016-2017), 900 (2015-2016) and ??? (2019-2020) (we lost Curry and Hamrick so we can't have 1000). I don't know how many scholarship athletes' we had each year because that does have a factor in the average (I am assuming each year is the same but I don't think that is the case.)
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:From the Green Bay Press Gazette, appears things are still in a state of limbo:

Full story:

JJ Sr is still taking this program as his hostage. I am shock that they have his stuff up in Cali hall. His son and his son best friend didn't enroll for one year ruining are APR rating. No reason he could of gone to LUI and been redshirted. I believe this mean we will still be under violation next year too because we have a rating of 826 (2017-2018), 960 (2016-2017), 900 (2015-2016) and ??? (2019-2020) (we lost Curry and Hamrick so we can't have 1000). I don't know how many scholarship athletes' we had each year because that does have a factor in the average (I am assuming each year is the same but I don't think that is the case.)

I'm not an APR expert by any means, but I don't think the Curry and Hamrick situations are detrimental to our rating. I believe Curry remained enrolled at Detroit Mercy, finished his degree, and recently entered the transfer portal as a grad student. Hamrick transferred to Portland St. where presumably he will end up finishing his degree. The Jackson and Ballantyne situations hurt us because they both discontinued their attendance for a full year.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:36 pm

i'm wondering about the timing of the quote from pj? the article doesn't mention if its recent? the writer may be picking up on the detroit news report? you would think the league office would be up to date on the status? 'course, it is crone after all?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:18 pm

FFS, the HL tourney starts in 20 days and we still know nothing. Tony Paul just posted a story before the OU game saying the same thing, that we have not officially heard from the NCAA. I have to assume that’s true at this point and that the NCAA will never even dignify our appeal with an answer.

Does anyone have a link to the audio of coach Davis saying we won the appeal? I think it was right before the new year?
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:FFS, the HL tourney starts in 20 days and we still know nothing. Tony Paul just posted a story before the OU game saying the same thing, that we have not officially heard from the NCAA. I have to assume that’s true at this point and that the NCAA will never even dignify our appeal with an answer.

Does anyone have a link to the audio of coach Davis saying we won the appeal? I think it was right before the new year?

I think the audio you are looking for is the postgame radio interview following the SIUE victory. For some reason, that audio file is no longer available on the web page with the other post game items (box score, video highlights, narrative recap) for that game. Vamoosh!
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Its time for the Athletic Director to clear the air. If the ban is lifted then post it on the UDM website, notify Tony Paul, and send an email to all season ticket holders. Its way past time to settle this matter once and for all. I am tired of it!!
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 pm

1975SHjoe wrote:Its time for the Athletic Director to clear the air. If the ban is lifted then post it on the UDM website, notify Tony Paul, and send an email to all season ticket holders. Its way past time to settle this matter once and for all. I am tired of it!!

If the appeal is still pending, frankly, it wouldn't hurt to announce that either.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Per Tony Paul, the appeal has been DENIED

https://twitter.com/TonyPaul1984/status ... 49665?s=19
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:18 pm

HSScout1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Wow. Just when you think it could not get worse.

I would like to ask all of you who care about this program to boycott all UDM athletic events and withhold any support until Robert Vowels is terminated. I just don’t see how we have any other choice at this point.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:43 pm

From the school's athletic website:

DETROIT (2/25/2020) -- University of Detroit Mercy learned this week that its appeal to the NCAA regarding this year's postseason ban for men's basketball was not granted. The postseason ineligibility was due to the team's Academic Performance Rate (APR) from 2014-15 through 2017-18 academic years of 920. A 930 cumulative score is required for postseason competition.

Thus, Detroit Mercy's men's basketball team will not be able to participate in the 2020 Horizon League Championship.

This postseason ban is only for the 2019-20 postseason. Since learning of this decision in the spring of 2019, Director of Athletics Robert C. Vowels, Jr. has taken numerous steps to improve the men's basketball APR score. The NCAA has also accepted Detroit Mercy's APR improvement plan and has granted relief from further penalties beginning with the 2020-2021 season.

That APR covers McCallum's final two seasons and BA's two seasons.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball