Page 1 of 2

Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:30 am
by NC Titan
Here is a local write-up of the NC State basketball team for this season:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/col ... 21757.html

The Titans open the season at NC State in Raleigh on Nov 10.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:04 pm
by titandave
Assuming Justin Miller is not available at the start of the season, I'm thinking we'll see something along the line of the following:

PG Davis
SG Maxwell
SF Isiana
PF Brandon
C Nguidjol

Rotation includes: Calipari, Rose, & Moore

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:35 pm
by ptctitan
titandave wrote:Assuming Justin Miller is not available at the start of the season, I'm thinking we'll see something along the line of the following:

PG Davis
SG Maxwell
SF Isiana
PF Brandon
C Nguidjol

Rotation includes: Calipari, Rose, & Moore


Thanks titandave for starting this line of thinking,

I think that unless Marquis Moore has regressed from his level of performance in the final 10 games of last season, he will be a starter. This would be the case whether or not Miller is eligible.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:57 pm
by titanmac
i like moore. he's a good player.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:47 pm
by NC Titan
Who plans to be at the NC State game?

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:01 pm
by ptctitan
NC Titan wrote:Who plans to be at the NC State game?


I will be there.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:42 am
by Rogobob77
There are plans in the works for a NC St. watch party at a local bar/restaurant, should be announced soon.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:06 pm
by titandave
titanmac wrote:i like moore. he's a good player.


I won't be surprised to see Moore as well as Brandon in the starting line up.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:22 pm
by NC Titan
NC State's Dereon Seabron, a freshman guard rated as the No. 129 player in the country and the Virginia high school 4A player of the year in 2017-18, is academically ineligible to play this season. NC State learned today that the NCAA had denied the appeal of his disqualification.

Two other Wolfpack players, senior guard Markell Johnson and junior forward DJ Funderburk, also missed NCSU's loss to Georgia Tech last night. The coach is hopeful they will be back soon. (I am hopeful they are back sometime after this weekend.)

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:13 pm
by The-Dude
This will be the true test of loyalty to see if NC Titan wears RED for this game?!

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 pm
by NC Titan
The-Dude wrote:This will be the true test of loyalty to see if NC Titan wears RED for this game?!


Huh? You're calling my loyalty into question?

Bought a brand new red Detroit sweatshirt at Homecoming. And a new red Titans tee shirt. Not to mention that I will be accompanied by my son who will also be in a red Titans tee shirt.

BTW, the Titan players will be in blue.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:12 pm
by 1975SHjoe
Vegas line is 18 to 19 1/2 and O/U 160

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 pm
by MooseGuy1
Wow! Not an unexpected result and no one can say that Coach is giving us a schedule of cupcakes. Brutal early schedule with Gonzaga during the HL season. Who knows? Maybe this is the way to build a team. If it doesn't destroy the Titans' confidence it could make us stronger down the stretch. I like Mike.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm
by NC Titan
The game was frustrating. Titan shots were not dropping. The 3-point percentage was like 20%, and the gods were even not with us at the foul line.

Positive points:

AD scored 28 points despite his long-range shots and his free throws not falling.
Detroit Mercy out-rebounded NC State.
Boe looked about a thousand times better than last year.
Brandon had some high-light reel moments, but needed more consistency. Sometimes he disappeared. Awesome potential.
Miller scored nine points even though he never really looked comfortable.
Calipari, Rose and Gorman all got into the game, so sometimes the Titans went with three walk-ons on the court: AD and Rose and Calipari or AD and Gorman and Calipari.

On the other hand, very few assists and way too many turnovers. Not saying the Titans could have won, but a few bounces the other way and they would have been in it. NC State played man defense all game. Pink stayed behind with a concussion, and Maxwell has a cast on his right wrist.

On to Clemson!! We'll see what happens next week with a pressure game under their belt.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:28 pm
by ptctitan
We have warriors on the boards. We need another outside shooter to step up. We got most of the shots we wanted; but did not convert them. This team, right now. is much better than any game we played last year. NC State ran 4 different guys at Antoine. Generally, he found the open man. We had some early trouble with the press because the guys were not recognizing it.

Also, we were tight in the first half because it was our first game. So, there is room for much improvement. But the foundation is there.

FYI. Davis got the T for saying, "That was a terrible call, ref." One guy behind me in the crowd yelled to the ref, "if your skin is that thin, it's going to be a long season for you, ref."

Oh. And nctitan wore red.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:35 pm
by uofdfan1983
fyi, NCTitan: I think you are still referring to AD as a walk-on but in fact, he asked his dad for a scholarship this year, and he is indeed on scholarship now.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:55 am
by 1975SHjoe
Our 3 point accuracy was lacking as we went 5 for 25. AD 2-10, Willy 1-5 ,and Brad 0-4. I am optimistic that we will shot 40% + at Clemson. FT 12-20 should also improve.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm
by titandave
1975SHjoe wrote:Our 3 point accuracy was lacking as we went 5 for 25. AD 2-10, Willy 1-5 ,and Brad 0-4. I am optimistic that we will shot 40% + at Clemson. FT 12-20 should also improve.

Totally agree; we'll see an improvement in our 3 point and FT shooting percentages. In terms of 3 point shooting; I believe 40% accuracy for AD, Willy, and Brad is a reasonable expectation.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:07 am
by Living in Carolina
Actually 35% from 3 would be reasonable goal for the group with the new distance this year. With the shorter distance last year the highest team average in Div 1 was 42%. a 35% would have made the game more competitive and the biggest differential would be if they could shoot free throws consistently near 80% as a team. Not getting the foul calls is only amplified as a problem when you can't hit the free throw when they do get called. Overall for a first game against a team that had already played a competitive top game and is likely to be a top 50 program this year it was not as bad a performance as it might have been. Defense needs the most work after the shooting practice going forward. Clemson will be a good test to see improvement and the atmosphere should not be a shock as Clemson is still focused on football at this time of year.

Re: Titans vs. NC State

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:05 pm
by Commissioner
Living in Carolina wrote:Actually 35% from 3 would be reasonable goal for the group with the new distance this year. With the shorter distance last year the highest team average in Div 1 was 42%. a 35% would have made the game more competitive and the biggest differential would be if they could shoot free throws consistently near 80% as a team. Not getting the foul calls is only amplified as a problem when you can't hit the free throw when they do get called. Overall for a first game against a team that had already played a competitive top game and is likely to be a top 50 program this year it was not as bad a performance as it might have been. Defense needs the most work after the shooting practice going forward. Clemson will be a good test to see improvement and the atmosphere should not be a shock as Clemson is still focused on football at this time of year.

And this time, I really mean it!