2020 Commit - Joey Liedel

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2020 Commit - Joey Liedel

Postby HSScout1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:34 pm

titanmac wrote:was just trying to find erie mason against harper woods next saturday? not on the schedule i saw?

The game is at 3:20pm today at Ferndale HS.
Our other commit plays for Cass Tech Mon at 8pm

https://twitter.com/scoopIPS/status/121 ... 19968?s=09
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:
titanmac wrote:was just trying to find erie mason against harper woods next saturday? not on the schedule i saw?

TM: disappointing, something must have fallen through. Here are the games:

https://ipsbasketball.com/12_27_30_24th ... assic_boys

That's the 2018 schedule that you were looking at
HSScout1
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Joey Liedel had 39 points
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:19 pm

holy moly.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Hope for the future!
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:14 am

1975SHjoe wrote:Hope for the future!

Can he run up and down the floor and pass and catch the ball? We seem to specialize in unathletic types.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:57 pm

Haven't seen you yet this year, up, but we've met before in the TC. Hope things are well. I'll be sending you a private message if you're receptive to it.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:10 pm

dennycrane wrote:Haven't seen you yet this year, up, but we've met before in the TC. Hope things are well. I'll be sending you a private message if you're receptive to it.

You can PM me or tell me in person. I will be at the games this weekend.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:16 am

Joey Liedel had another 39 point outing recently. There is a photo and article at this link from the Monroe News:

https://www.monroenews.com/sports/20200 ... ts-in-lcaa
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 am

Scored 54 points last night. Article said "he refused to lose" hopefully he brings that mentality to current crop here. They could sure use it.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 am

Scored 54 points last night. Article said "he refused to lose" hopefully he brings that mentality to current crop here. They could sure use it.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:59 am

sacredheartgreg wrote:Scored 54 points last night. Article said "he refused to lose" hopefully he brings that mentality to current crop here. They could sure use it.

Led team to a 70-67 win in double overtime. Points scored represent a career high and school record. Scored 13 of his team’s 14 points in the OT period. Also had six boards and five assists for the night. Looking forward to seeing him in a Titan uniform.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Just watched one of Liedel's video montages carefully and at the Class C level he plays at, he has the tools and the mindset to be more than a shooter. He has decent ballhandling skills and maybe even PG skills -- he can break an ankle and change directions and he's a basketball player before he's just a shooter. Hard to tell how quick he really is watching him at this level, but he will be at least someone who can handle the ball in pressure situations and take some load off of our PG. He loves to drive inside and although very right-handed, he will also attack from the left side. Very important: his long-range shot release is from an average spot, meaning he will have to be open to shoot. But he has a quick release and you can tell he's played a lot of backyard ball because he doesn't have to be in a certain spot playing catch-and-release to show a silky stroke. I certainly see him as much more complete player than Calipari is and either a solid backup to AD or someone who can be an offensive 2nd option when the defense focuses on AD, assuming we can defensively have 2 short & skinny guys out there at the same time.

I have no idea if he will be able to defend at the Div. I level. The problem with playing Class C is that it's hard to project how effective his games/his moves will be at the Div I level -- it's such an upgrade from the level he plays at now. But at least he is a ballplayer, not just a shooter. Big difference and at 5-11 being just a shooter is not going to translate to the next level.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Good insight Tom and thanks to you and Rogo for the update on him. Can’t wait to see him in a Titan uniform.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 am

Went to the game last night. Highlight reel doesn’t do justice to the skill level of this kid. He is like a mix between Cassius Winston and Antione Davis. He is a general on the court, a true point guard with good court vision. I thought he was going to be a catch and shoot type of guy that has his spots but nope I was wrong. This kid is always in the mix and doesn’t stop playing. Was play Detroit Public Saftey tonight. There was one time in the game DPSA scored he wanted the ball quick on the inbound and then he bombed it down court like a QB to his receiver. He had the IQ to see the other team wasn’t running down court and he had a guy beating everyone down. He hit him in stride to make the layup.The other team mainly pressed and also left a man on top of Joey all night. He destroyed the press and could not be trapped all game. He was faster than I expected and he is taller than coach Keith LeGree by a little. His frame looks bigger then AD. It appeared that he wasn’t hot this game but still dropped a number of threes along with driving the lane putting in a floater over a 6’6”-6’8” type player. He has great court vision. One point of the game he had three guys going at him hacking and knocking the ball at half court he managed to keep control and drove it in and scored.

I will tell you if you live in the Detroit area go down and see him play it is worth the drive.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 am

Game story:

Erie Mason 71, Detroit Public Safety 53

ERIE – Joe Liedel helped Erie Mason to an early lead, scoring 13 points in the first quarter as the Eagles went into the second quarter ahead 16-14.

Mason’s defense stepped up in the second, holding Detroit Public Safety to just 6 points. Mason led 36-20 at halftime.

″(Public Safety) is very aggressive, very physical, really quick,” Mason coach Kevin Skaggs said. “We enjoy having them down here and we like going up there because it makes us better. It’s good learning how to play against a pressure team and our kids are doing a good job with that.”

Liedel finished with 29 points and 7 rebounds, Dylan Worden shot 8-for-10 from the floor and finished with 18 points, and Walker Willis added 16 points and 6 rebounds.

Mason improved to 8-2 overall.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks for the update JDetroit,

I am looking forward to him joining the Titans next season. Joey will be a great addition to the team. We need to focus on getting a big man for the roster. The Schoolcraft guy looks rough. The coaching staff developed Brandon and Moore, I think it is possible to groom a guy to fit our needs.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:39 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Went to the game last night. Highlight reel doesn’t do justice to the skill level of this kid. He is like a mix between Cassius Winston and Antione Davis. He is a general on the court, a true point guard with good court vision. I thought he was going to be a catch and shoot type of guy that has his spots but nope I was wrong. This kid is always in the mix and doesn’t stop playing. Was play Detroit Public Saftey tonight. There was one time in the game DPSA scored he wanted the ball quick on the inbound and then he bombed it down court like a QB to his receiver. He had the IQ to see the other team wasn’t running down court and he had a guy beating everyone down. He hit him in stride to make the layup.The other team mainly pressed and also left a man on top of Joey all night. He destroyed the press and could not be trapped all game. He was faster than I expected and he is taller than coach Keith LeGree by a little. His frame looks bigger then AD. It appeared that he wasn’t hot this game but still dropped a number of threes along with driving the lane putting in a floater over a 6’6”-6’8” type player. He has great court vision. One point of the game he had three guys going at him hacking and knocking the ball at half court he managed to keep control and drove it in and scored.

I will tell you if you live in the Detroit area go down and see him play it is worth the drive.

I was also at the game. Great to see Coach Legree there watching our recruit. I agree with all the astute comments of JDetroitTitan. He is a skilled player regardless of the class of his High School. He is an ball player. We got a basketball Jones coming to our school, Joey Basketball. Excellent recruit coaches! Cant wait to see our back court next year.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 pm

What've we been missing all season? Two things: A legitimate second scoring option and a paint player who can be a rim protector/rebounder/scoring option. Looks like Liedel might solve the first need, free up AD for what he does best. Now if Coach can sign a big man......
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:21 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bsUtUnWGl7Y

high praise from joe's coach
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball