MY PLEDGE

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

MY PLEDGE

Postby joe btzfxyk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm

FELLOW BLOGGERS, AD ROBERT VOWELS, AND COACH DAVIS:
Brian Boyle here, class of '62. Yes I go all the way back to the Dave DeBusschere, Charlie North, Tom Morgan era - our first and perhaps biggest and best front line. I think I saw every home game and even a couple on the road during those years. The games I couldn't get to I listened to on the radio. After I graduated, I started a family and had other priorities. However, when Vitale came on board, Denny Flynn rallied most of us latent followers to again become active. I joined up. Maybe some of you remember me from those days? I've been as frustrated as most of you are about our BB complacency and watching former League members move on to bigger conferences while we remain a charter ember in a conference that keeps regressing in overall basketball quality.
But there is hope. There are rumblings from the highest levels of the University that a new BB commitment is in the works, but they need our help. I think some of those rumors have been cited on this board. There is going to be a push to elevate the BB program to a very competitive level with the understanding , if successful, it will attract more new students. The hiring of Coach Davis was the first step in that direction. Now they believe that under Davis it is possible to increase attendance at the games, and also increase funding by playing Power 5 & 6 teams on the road as Davis did at Texas Southern. I know, words are cheap and we all would like to see results before we increase our financial support for the program. Therefore, I am making a PLEDGE to the Athletic Department contingent on their results before I kick in any more funding.
HERE IS MY PLEDGE TO ATHLETIC DIRECTOR VOWELS:
Last BB year (2018-2019) the mens' basketball team averaged 1,841 in paid attendance for all your home games. For the 2019-2020 season and for the next 4 seasons beyond that, I will increase my financial contribution to the Athletic Department by the same percentage you increase paid attendance to the mens' basketball games up to a maximum of 15% per season. If you increase attendance at least 15% per year for five years, with the power of compounding, your paid attendance would be close to 3,700. At $10.00 a ticket, and after subtracting the 1,841 base you started with, you would gross an additional $18,600 per year at a minimum. In addition, after the same 5 years, a $1,000 suporter would be contributing just over $2,000. Now if we could get just ten $1,000 contributors to do the same that would add another $10,000 to your gross. So now you would be at about $28,600. Increase ticket prices another 20% to $12.00 along the way and sell more concessions, etc., it could add up to an increase of close to $50,000 in the fifth year and each year thereafter.
RECRUITING: I think you have already hired the right Coach. Now it is up to him to produce the players he needs to WIN the Horizon League Tournament and advance to the NCAA Tourney (More revenue to the University), but you MUST GIVE HIM ALL THE SUPPORT HE NEEDS TO RECRUIT. It is WINNING that will put people in the seats and provide invaluable exposure and recognition for the University and increase overall student applications.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above proposal. Brian Boyle, Sarasota, FL btzfxyk@aol.com
joe btzfxyk

Re: MY PLEDGE

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:24 pm

BRIAN,
I thank you for your past contributions and admire that you are considering an increase.

Your numbers are wrong, $18K per game increase, not season. So the results are much larger than you project. In addition, you did not assume any increase in enrollment due to the successful BB program. That is where the real money is.

Your plea is that we have to do something to make the program able to succeed. Then you outline a plan to increase donations five years in the future. We need the funds now. As a successful individual you know that you have to spend (invest) money to be successful. We need money to invest now in order to reap the rewards in the future. You think as I do that Davis is a coach to lead us out of the doldrums of past years. Then let's give him the tools to succeed now. I am not a big donor to Men's BB, but do support the department. There is not a lot of assets available to improve the facilities now. We can compete in the HL, but that is not what we want to do. We want to dominate so we have options for the future.

May I suggest another option for you and hopefully others. Move up the donations at your current rate. For example. If you give $5,000 per year, consider giving three years this year ($15,000). Then make the pledge to INCREASE the donation in the future based on the increased attendance. So if we increase the max next year write the check for an ADDITIONAL $750. Year 2 and ADDITIONAL $887.50 etc. That give the incentive you want while addressing the immediate need. I don't know your situation, maybe you can't do 3 year, consider 2 years. Maybe you can do 5 years now. The same goes for the others out there. Coach is not asking for anything extravagant, just the basics. He has shown imagination in making doing a lot with little funds. Let's give him a chance.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Brian,

Last season, the 1841 average home attendance figure represented a 48% increase over the same figure in the previous season. And our 2044 average attendance per Horizon League home game represented a 55% increase in attendance over the same figure in 2017-18. Our 4 non-conference home games averaged 1384.

So, why don't you start by increasing your donation to men's BB this year by at least 50%? Under your theory, wouldn't the program deserve to start with the 2017-18 average home attendance as the base? And wouldn't AD Vowels merit your pledge this year for increasing home attendance in one year by a factor equal to three years of your proposal? Just asking.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby joe btzfxyk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:06 pm

AD VOWELS, BIG CHUCK, & PCTitan,

I too fully appreciate the need to give Coach Davis what he needs to bring he needs to bring high quality recruits to the program and I firmly believe it is imperative that the U should do so as soon as possible. If they can finance the projects he needs thru new donor funding, that is the way to go. If not, then the Athletic Dept. should either borrow some of the recently raised funds which have undoubtedly have been budgeted for other long term capital improvements. Either way, they should treat the MBB program like a solid business venture and make those accountable for any red ink, but reward them when the produce positive cash flow.

This appeal is directed to those long time Titan Club and Cal Club contributors whose donations have remained static over the years either out of loyalty to the university, or because of personal financial constraints. Or maybe, like me, they are waiting to see positive accomplishments, not just mediocre performances. Those of us that have been around awhile have seen years of modest successes, several of deep lows and many, many years of mediocrity. During these years all our initial league opponents have moved on to stronger conferences and increased their revenue through their upgraded basketball programs.

Big Chuck is correct in that adding an average of 15% more paid attendees per game at $10.00 each, over each of the next five years would have to be multiplied by an estimated 14 home games to arrive at the annual increase in revenue by the end of the 5th year. At the end of that year (2023-24), the increased revenue at $10.00 per game would be 1,860 additional attendees x $10.00 x 14 games, or $260,000 in gross income for that year. Then increase ticket prices to $11.00-$12.00 (still very reasonable for a winning Division I basketball program in a major metropolitan area). This would increase the additional gross annual attendance revenue close to $300,000 per year. Add 3 revenue producing road games against Power 5 or 6 schools, and just 10 like donors to this pledge who would be doubling their donation by the 5th year, and trips to the NCAA Tournament and its corresponding $180,000 per game revenue, could add $500,000-$600,000+- to the Athletic Department coffers per year. Not to mention the added local, regional and national publicity which would help increase student enrollment and continued growth of the entire University.

PIE in The SKY?? Not really!!! But all this depends on Coach Davis bringing in high quality recruits. He feels he can do that and thereby produce the needed winning program if the University will upgrade its related capital buildings (Callahan Hall) and equipment.

Our ultimate goal should be to win the Horizon League regular season championship and then win the HL Tournament to get to the NCAA Tourney, and win the NCAA 'Tournament. Former Horizon League teams from Butler and Loyola recently knocked on the door of doing just that. WHY NOT US?? As Coach Davis said in his first Press Conference,[b] "Whatever is possible in College Basketball can be accomplished right here">[/b]

[b]Our goal should be to [u]WIN THE BIG DANCE[/b], as Vitale calls it. With strong major deciders, President Garibaldi,, AD Vowels, and Coach Davis all having the same objective, we have the best chance we ever had to WIN IT ALL.

Please consider an upfront donation or a pledge to the Program. If you can't do so now how about a pledge similar to mine adding to your donation if the U can increase attendance each of the next five years. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Brian F Boyle
Sarasota, FL
Class '62
btzfxyk@aol.com
joe btzfxyk

Postby ptctitan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Brian,

That's a great post. I'm for whatever gets more people to help the team to the best of their abilities. We have a window of opportunity to make things better. I would hope more people would donate or increase donations now to the men's BB team so that we can build a solid infrastructure that can also benefit the other sports. As our flagship sport, men's BB can help drive new student applications higher if it becomes a solid contending program year in and year out. It can help the entire university succeed - not just build a walled-off fiefdom in sports.

I have experienced many of the frustrations of the past when it came to improving the facilities at Calihan Hall for all sports. Too often, the central administration would not or could not support capital improvements to the facilities. It's time to take advantage of changing attitudes at the school and step up. And, if someone wants to index future gifts to certain performance milestones, fine. Just start with something now. That's how I feel. So, I support your pledge and have stepped up my giving to try and help us succeed.
ptctitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball