Pope’s Poll: Preseason Predictions for 2019-20

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Postby The Pope » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:46 am

Forty-two Catholic colleges and universities compete in NCAA Division I basketball — here’s a divinely inspired Papal prognostication of how they will fare in the 2019-20 season.

The Saintly Sixteen (primed for post-season play):

1. Gonzaga
2. Seton Hall
3. Villanova
4. St. Mary's
5. Marquette
6. Xavier
7. Notre Dame
8. Georgetown
9. Dayton
10. Creighton
11. Providence
12. St. Bonaventure
13. Loyola-Marymount
14. Loyola (IL)
15. Iona
16. St. John's

Projected in Purgatory: Duquesne, San Francisco and Santa Clara. 

Headed for Hoops Hell: Boston College, Canisius, DePaul, Detroit Mercy, Fairfield, Fordham, Holy Cross, LaSalle, Loyola (MD), Manhattan, Mt. St. Mary's, Niagara, Portland, Sacred Heart, St. Francis (PA), St. Francis (NY), St. Joseph's, St. Louis, St. Peter's, San Diego, Seattle and Siena. 

"Francis’ Flop" (forecast as worst Catholic team in America): Incarnate Word.

Lining up in Limbo (Catholic colleges somewhere in the process of transitioning to D-I): Bellarmine, Merrimack, and St. Thomas (MN).
Last edited by The Pope on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Pope
Senior

Re: Pope’s Poll: Preseason Predictions for 2019-20

Postby kevinudm » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:05 pm

Merrimack is a private Augustinian college in Massachusetts. They're starting their D1 transition this year and compete in the Northeast Conference.

Bellarmine is D2 this year and doesn't start its transition until 2020/21. St. Thomas is D3 this year and has applied for an NCAA waiver to start its D1 transition in 2021/22; its future status is unclear.

I'm not sure how you define "limbo" (i.e., schools that have announced an intent to move to D1, or schools that have already started D1 competition but are not eligible for post-season play until they have completed a four year transition). But Merrimack probably belongs somewhere on your list.
kevinudm
Freshman

Postby The Pope » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:49 am

kevinudm wrote:Merrimack is a private Augustinian college in Massachusetts. They're starting their D1 transition this year and compete in the Northeast Conference.

Bellarmine is D2 this year and doesn't start its transition until 2020/21. St. Thomas is D3 this year and has applied for an NCAA waiver to start its D1 transition in 2021/22; its future status is unclear.

I'm not sure how you define "limbo" (i.e., schools that have announced an intent to move to D1, or schools that have already started D1 competition but are not eligible for post-season play until they have completed a four year transition). But Merrimack probably belongs somewhere on your list.

The Pope thanks you for that information, the memo from the Augustinians on their D-1 plans must have gotten lost in all the paperwork clutter on my desk. I’ve amended the Purgatory roster in the original posting to add Merrimack.
The Pope
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 am

The Pope wrote:
kevinudm wrote:Merrimack is a private Augustinian college in Massachusetts. They're starting their D1 transition this year and compete in the Northeast Conference.

The Pope thanks you for that information, the memo from the Augustinians on their D-1 plans must have gotten lost in all the paperwork clutter on my desk. I’ve amended the Purgatory roster in the original posting to add Merrimack.

Blasphemy!!
titanmike
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball