Page 1 of 1

Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:06 pm
by Commissioner
Wyoming

When: Tuesday, November 19, 9:00 p.m. EST
Where: Laramie, Wyo.
TV: Mountain West Network
Radio: 910 AM Superstation

America Needs More Cowboys:

After getting hammered by a pair of ACC teams, the Titans road swing continues against the Wyoming Cowboys on Tuesday. This will be the 4th meeting ever between the two schools. The Titans beat Wyoming in the 1976 Motor City Invitational, and again in the non-conference season in the fall of 2001. Wyoming won the return game the following year. (Those two teams were both 20-win clubs coached by current UIC head coach Steve McClain; the 2001-02 Cowboys made the NCAA tournament).

The Cowboys have labored to a 1-3 start in which they've had real difficulty in scoring points. Through four games the Cowboys are averaging just 50.5 points, after reaching 63 in their last game, a 20 point home loss to Oregon State. This is a combination of both tempo and efficiency (Ken Pomeroy ranks them 330th in the country in both categories). The only player who has been a threat on offense is redshirt sophomore Hunter Maldonado, a 6-7, all-positions kid who is averaging 18.8 points. Maldonado leads the team in points, rebounds, assists, and blocks. About the only thing he doesn't do well is shoot the three--he's connected on just 2 of 15 attempts this year, and is just a 29% shooter for his career.

As you might expect, Wyoming is a poor shooting team, and a particularly poor three-point shooting team. They score a higher percentage of their points from the foul line than most teams, but that's not because they shoot a lot of free throws or shoot them especially well (they're about average in both), but because they are so inefficient in scoring from the floor.

Before the loss to Oregon State, Wyoming had defeated Idaho State at home, and then lost at South Carolina and at home to Cal State-Fullerton. Last time out, coach Allen Edwards shook up the starting line up, benching sophomore guard Greg Milton and sophomore forward Austin Mueller in favor of senior AJ Banks and soph TJ Taylor, respectively. Since Wyomong topped 55 points for the first time this year, it may have worked. On the other hand, they also gave up 17 more points than in any prior game, so perhaps not. The other starters are senior Jake Hendricks and sophomore Hunter Thompson. (Not many teams have two Hunters in the starting lineup, nor a player named for the original Gonzo journalist). Thompson is the team's biggest player at 6-10, 235 lbs., and second on the team in rebounding, but on offense he spends most his time hanging out on the perimeter and missing three point shots. He shoots about 5 threes a game, at a 22% clip, although we should note that last year he hit 37.5%, so perhaps he'll come alive on Tuesday. In fact, no Cowboy who has taken more than one three point shot this year is hitting above 33%.

I would feel real good about this game except that it comes so closely on the heels of the Clemson game. The players will make the long flight out on Monday, and with the time change it will be a very late game for their east coast metabolisms. Nevertheless, ESPN gives us a 53% chance of winning. Pomeroy flips it around, giving us just a 47% chance of winning, and predicts a 70-69 defeat. Wyoming score 70? We'll see. Really need a win.

Probable Starters:
PG: A.J. Banks, 6-2 Sr. (5.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg)
SG: Jake Hendrix, 6-5 Sr. (6.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.5 apg)
SF: Hunter Maldonado, 6-7 RS Soph. (18.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 apg)
SF: TJ Taylor, 6-6 Soph. (4.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg)
F: Hunter Thompson, 6-10 Soph. (5.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg)

Key Reserves:
G: Greg Milton, 6-3 Soph. (3.0 ppg)
G: Kenny Foster, 6-5 Fr. (4.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg)
F: Austin Mueller, 6-6 RS Soph. (1.3 ppg, 2.5 rpg)

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:18 am
by 1975SHjoe
Vegas agrees as to a close game. Wyoming is -1 and the O/U is 138

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 am
by titanmac
would be nice to pick up a road win. maybe isiani gets untracked and we cruise. our defense wasn't rotten the last game. our ball handling was. davis needs to take care of the ball.

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 pm
by Resurget Cineribus
Calipari hits his first 3 as a Titan, we hold a 22 - 18 lead now after a 8 - 0 run to start the game.
Go Titans!!

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:42 pm
by Resurget Cineribus
Brad hits his second 3 and we’re back up by 3 in this now see-saw game.

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 pm
by titanmac
down by 2 after a kinda sloppy first half offensively. we can shoot better than that. if we do we win.

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 pm
by Rogobob77
Game is being streamed live, free of charge, on the Mountain West Digital Network:

gowyo.com/sports/2017/9/1/mountain-west-digital-network.aspx

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:39 pm
by Tacitus651
Rogobob77 wrote:Game is being streamed live, free of charge, on the Mountain West Digital Network:

gowyo.com/sports/2017/9/1/mountain-west-digital-network.aspx


Still way overpriced if you’re a Detroit Mercy fan.

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 am
by titandave
To underscore the obvious, we had a poor night shooting the basketball; FG 28% and 3PT 27%. Two players that really missed the mark; AD (5-23) and Miller (0-10).

Not making excuses, however, I can't help but think that fatigue played a factor. Sunday's game on the east coast, long trip to Laramie, and playing at 7,165 feet altitude.

Re: Wyoming Preview

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm
by titanmac
a pretty good first half and then a collapse would seem to indicate your right dave?