quiet here.

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: quiet here.

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:04 pm

udballer wrote:
Big Chuck wrote:From the remarks at the luncheon yesterday, we need a ball handler to take the pressure of AD. Josh and DK may be missed for that aspect of their game as much as the shooting. Someone has to step up in that area. The ball handling load is too much for AD alone. We can't ask him to do everything. The ability to constantly hound him has resulted in a huge number of turnovers. No surprise based on our team makeup at the moment.

Good point, Chuck. We are absolutely lacking in that area as well. AD is too good with the ball in his hands to be turning in games with 9 & 10 turnovers. That is indicative of him being the only person to fill that role and the opposition to be able to key on him without fear of doing so.

I was watch the Kent state game two night ago again. That is my take away. AD is doing way to much on the court and it is wearing him down. A lot of our gamest his season in the first half we are in it, than get shout down in the second half. AD is going to have to learn to save himself until the end of games for us to have a chance. To me that means he needs to get the rest of the team their shots. I don't see anyone on the court that can really create a shot besides AD (somewhat Miller when he isn't being undersized). That means AD will need to learn how to use the space to free up his teammates for their shoots. AD is much better shooter but that is not his role this year for the main reason that he is the best ball handler by miles on the court. By getting his team involved offensively will help to wear out the defense and force it to have different focal points instead of seeing the OU effect (after we played OU everyone knows how to defend are offense. Keep throwing different defenders on AD and let AD wear himself down so his shooting % goes down by the end of the game. Also this keep other players fresh on the other team).

Honestly if we can get this offense running we are much better than people think. But it is going to be a lot of work on AD part to be able to have that court vision (basketball IQ) along with the voice of a leader on that court. You are not going to be able to learn this through drills. It is going to be a lot of studying the game through watch game film. Than being able to correlate that information to the court during a game. Not an easy task.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:15 pm

good thoughts jd.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Obviously, there are a lot of things that need improving. I am pretty darn certain that our coaches came to similar conclusions even before the season began. Despite AD continuing to carry the load, his assists per game are up 50% over last season. In addition to watching tape, you have to learn by playing. Also, the other 4 players have to be in the right spots called for by the offense and be ready to catch and shoot. There have been many instances (not all) in which AD's passes have been muffed by the receiver or the receiver is not in position to make a play when he has received the pass. That said, vs UC-Irvine, we did achieve that secondary scoring from Miller, Calipari, and Isiani. That enabled us to win with AD only taking 17 shots.

I agree with JD Titan that our offense is the cause of many of our troubles because our failure to run it properly and the high level of turnovers enable the other team to score before we can set our defense. All of these things are correctable.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Assuming Maxwell is able to play at some point this season... and showcases a better scoring ability than he has to this point in his career... and takes ball handling pressure off of AD when he plays,... who do we think will fill those roles next year?

Just thinking out loud. Are we expecting that stuff to come from a true frosh or will we need another transfer?
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:33 am

udballer wrote:Assuming Maxwell is able to play at some point this season... and showcases a better scoring ability than he has to this point in his career... and takes ball handling pressure off of AD when he plays,... who do we think will fill those roles next year?

Just thinking out loud. Are we expecting that stuff to come from a true frosh or will we need another transfer?

On the current roster, Rose, Pink, and LeGrande come to mind. Obviously, LeGreair from Cass Tech thinks he can be that guy because he signed with us. Given the two frosh we signed last month, I think the staff will try to recruit a big and another rebounder with the remaining two open scholarships.

Re: Maxwell. His offense efficiency rating last season was identical to Zion Williamson's. He was the third option on a good team. I would not necessarily measure his potential contributions based solely upon his career numbers. Of course, this year, the unknown will be how quickly his play recovers from the injury.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:21 pm

All due respect to APBR metrics, I tend to be old school in that regard. By old school metrics, 9ppg at Abilene Christian is not the same as 23ppg at Duke. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:08 pm

udballer wrote:All due respect to APBR metrics, I tend to be old school in that regard. By old school metrics, 9ppg at Abilene Christian is not the same as 23ppg at Duke. :)

I agree. Teams win on points, not on metrics.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball