Notre Dame

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Notre Dame

Postby Commissioner » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Notre Dame

When: Tuesday, Dec. 10, 7:00 p.m.
Where: Purcell Pavillion, South Bend, IN. Did you know that the Purcell Pavillion--capacity 9149--holds more people than voted for Pete Buttigieg in his 2015 election as Mayor?
TV: ACC Network
Radio: AM 910

The last time Notre Dame lost to Detroit was in the fall of 1992, when George H.W. Bush was president. The last time South Bend elected a Republican as mayor was in the fall of 1967, when Lyndon Johnson was president. Being the Democratic Mayor of South Bend just isn't that hard.

Neither is beating the Titans to a pulp this year. Our guys have struggled to a 1-7 mark, with the average margin of defeat being 19.7 points, and only Saturday's 55-51 loss to Eastern Michigan being within single digits, although we were close to Ohio U. late. There's no way to sugar coat this: the Titans have looked, for the most part, really awful. The defense played well against EMU on Saturday, but that was after giving up 91 and 92 points in the two preceding games, and 74 or more in every other game, including what was an impressive win over UC-Irvine. The Titans have played a tough schedule with good opponents, but Wyoming, EMU, and OU just aren't Gonzaga, Michigan and Ohio State, and while Clemson and NC State are ACC teams, they're not Duke and UNC.

That said, it's the offense that really looks a mess. The guys seem not to know what to do. So we dribble and pass around the perimeter for about 20 seconds, and then give it to Antoine and let him get the best shot he can. At the start of the year, one national columnist rated Detroit one of the 15 best shooting teams in the country. And why not? We have AD, the freshman record holder for threes; Willy, who hit 40% from three in his limited action last year; Maxwell, a high percentage, high efficiency player at Abilene Christian; and all through the off-season, the word was how these guys were shooters, shooters, shooters. But Davis is shooting 25.8% from three. Willy is at 34.1%. Justin Miller is shooting 26%-- he averaged 46% over 3 years at Louisiana. Is it the lack of open looks? Or are we just missing too many? If you believe that players will eventually approach their career averages, maybe we're due for some more good shootin'.

Notre Dame this year is young, good but hardly great. They enter Tuesday's game at 6-3, but how much do we learn when Notre Dame beats Robert Morris (RPI Rank 322), Howard (349), Marshall (301), Presbyterian (341), and Farleigh Dickinson (242)? Nor do we learn a ton from their losses-- to UNC (RPI rank 36) and Maryland (4). They can beat bad teams, and lose to teams that clearly NCAA bound. They do have two games that can tell us a little. Their only decent win is over Detroit's next opponent, Toledo (147) whom they beat by two in overtime almost 3 weeks ago. And their third loss was in their last game, to Boston College (105), whom they lost to by one point, but at home. So they beat bad teams, lose to real good ones, play teams in the low 100s close. Sadly, we're in that first group, unless we can turn it around.

Notre Dame's best player is 6-9 senior forward John Mooney, who leads the nation in rebounding at 13.5 per game, and leads the Irish in scoring at 14.9 points per game. Mooney is joined up front by 6-11 senior Juwan Durham, a solid rebounder and excellent shot blocker who will pick up several points a game, mainly on put backs. With Durham and Mooney inside, plus 6-10 soph Nate Laszewski off the bench, this doesn't look like the match-up that will get the Titans' inside game on track. With that kind of size, the Irish can afford three guards on the floor, and that's what they start. Senior Temple Gibbs is second on the team in scoring, while sophomore Prentiss Hubb leads the team in assists. 6-6 senior guard Rex Pfleuger rounds out the starting lineup. Two big sophomores back up the starting guards: 6-6 Dane Goodwin and 6-4 Robbie Carmody. It's been a pretty tight 8-man rotation this year for the Irish.

The Irish are a good passing team, and they don't turn it over much (they're 4th best in the country in turnover percentage, and even playing a lot of patsies, that's impressive). They don't have a lot of three point shooting, but may not need it if they can toss it in to the big guys.

The Titans are 12-41 all-time against the Irish. This is going to be a tough game, but how sweet a win would be. So let's keep the spirits up and go Titans!

Probable Starters
PG - Prentiss Hubb, 6-3 Soph. (10.1 ppg, 3.9 apg, 33.3% 3PtFG)
SG - Temple Gibbs, 6-3 Sr. (11.8 ppg, 3.6 apg, 37.3% 3PtFG)
SG - Rex Pfleuger, 6-6 Sr. (6.4 ppg, 3.2 apg)
PF - John Mooney, 6-9 Sr. (14.9 ppg, 13.5 rpg)
C - Juwan Durham, 6-11 Sr. (8.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.6 bpg)

Key Bench
PG - Robbie Carmody, 6-4 Soph. (5.4 ppg)
SG- Dane Goodwin, 6-6 Soph. (9.6 ppg, 36.7% 3PtFG)
PF - Nate Laszewski, 6-10 Soph. (7.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Notre Dame

Postby professorjackson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:04 pm

duplicate post deleted
Last edited by professorjackson on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David J. Jackson, Class of '91
professorjackson
Senior

Postby professorjackson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Pointlessly political post. Titan basketball should be a refuge from politics.
David J. Jackson, Class of '91
professorjackson
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Get Mooney and Durham into foul trouble and play hard and fast. We can win this thing.

https://youtu.be/z9boCCK7M8c
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Well. We're shooting a bit better today. Unfortunately, NDs shooting percentage resembles mine when I play my 8 year old on his Nerf hoop.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Notre Dame has 28 team assists with 10 minutes to go. Wish I was watching this. The passing must be a thing of beauty.
udballer
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:44 pm

The passing wasn't exactly a thing of beauty. It looked more like the pre-game shoot around with NDs 3 point shots going in half of the time.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:45 am

As someone who attended both of these institutions I’m embarrassed. The quality of play of the Titans was flat out embarrassing. The team played virtually no defense whatsoever. At one point near the end of the game, LeGrand literally just stood next to Goodwin and let him shoot an uncontested 3. Just stood there. Like they were buddies hanging out in a gym. The Titans weren’t even putting hands in faces half the time. I watch a lot of college basketball and this has to be one of the worst defensive efforts I have ever seen in my life.

Then there’s my other alma mater and the utter circus that was this game atmosphere. First of all, the student section was nearly empty. The band was missing at least 1/3 the normal amount of people that usually attend games. The poms team made it to the game but outside of them I think I counted maybe 40 students? Yeesh. It was the all very hokey “taco tuesday” and even free tacos couldn’t get students in the seats. Then the leprechaun handed out tacos to the crowd and people seemed to accept them as if they were laundromat coupons. The worst part of all was the CONSTANT dance cam plays during timeouts. The video board shows footage of the current MBB team ridiculously dancing in a gym trying to get the crowd psyched up for dancing. Obviously they filmed this before ND basketball imploded, but seeing that video of these guys dancing like that considering the state of the program is simply cringeworthy. Then comes the actual dance cam and what feels like an hour of watching 5-12 year olds dance like their lives depend on it. Stats or video highlights from the game so far? Nope, just kids dancing all night to the most annoying songs you’ve even heard. I apologize to those of you who traveled far and had to witness this spectacle. The conference games are nowhere near this bad, but we display these stupid antics in an effort to get families to come to cheap noncon games. We had the atmosphere of a single A baseball game tonight. A few of the upper bowl sections were completely empty. This is supposed to be an ACC basketball program?

Anyway, I’m just depressed. I don’t see either of these teams making an NCAA tournament in the next few years considering the level of play, incoming recruits, coaching, overall quality of the programs. Just awful all around.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:18 am

So much for "They don't have a lot of three point shooting."
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:37 am

What a difference 53 years make. After watching the Titans get mopped up on the ND floor, I remembered back to 1966 as a young boy from Hudson Lake, Indiana, only 18 miles from the campus of Notre Dame, I saw my first University of Detroit basketball game. I drove down from Six Mile and Livernois with my roommate, Dennis Goedken, and a couple of girls that don't even remember. My Grandfather was a laundry delivery guy at the University of Notre Dame and he lived only three blocks from campus on Edddy Street. I proudly introduced these new friends to my Grandmother who had made us a lovely dinner of chicken and noodles, my favorite. We walked to the Notre Dame Fieldhouse to cheer on our new team. Unlike tonight, the Titans won on a last minute shot 74-73. We celebrated loudly walking back to my car. The ride home was a bit lonely since everyone slept except me, the driver.

Tonight I returned to see a totally different event. Although I came all the way from Italy (a visit home for the holidays), the scene had totally changed. The house where my Grandparents lived was torn down and replace by some apartment buildings. The campus area has grown and expanded in a way that I could never have imagined. It has become a village just for the ND people. I didn't drive back to Detroit tonight, but I have visited Detroit often over the years. It saddens me to say that the campus area in Detroit is probably about the same as when I first set foot on it. We lost some buildings and gained some buildings. The area around the campus is about the same -- some good stuff added and some bad stuff still there. We did not keep up with the times, our sports teams are much worse, but I have to admit that I still love old U of D.

The Jesuit education I received has allowed me to do all of the things in life I dreamed about as a poor kid from a poor town in Indiana. Life hasn't been perfect, but it is certainly better than I hoped for. If I had stayed in Hudson Lake and never stepped foot on the campus of U of D I would have had a much less satisfying life. So I am irritated that the team didn't make a good showing, but I am hopeful that a bunch of kids from backgrounds like mine will have an opportunity to see things and do things that they never dreamed about when they were 17 years old. For this reason alone, I will always love my Titans, cheer for them when they win, bitch at them when they lose and threaten to rip the head off of anyone who has something bad to say about the school the made my life what it has been.

Go Titans! This is just a warm-up for the conference schedule. We will learn to let the guy who hits 50% of his threes to shoot more, we will understand that man to man defense means that you need to be close enough to smell the body odor of the guy you are guarding and when you take the ball into the paint it is often just a way to give your shooters a chance to get open. I am still hopeful, but remember, I am also a Cubs fan who for over 50 years waited patiently. I have been trained to always have hope. Although a UD-ND game was my first UD basketball game, this UDM-ND game won't be my last UDM game.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 am

NC Titan wrote:So much for "They don't have a lot of three point shooting."

You're not supposed to remember the previews! :-)

In my defense, they entered the night ranked 262nd in three point FG percentage (30.7%), despite their soft schedule.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:47 am

Congratulations AD hitting the 1000 point mark. Tough to watch, the defense could not contest the 3 point shots. Brad Calipari had a good game (12 pts) , I'd like to see him get more involved in the offense. Against EMU Brad was open in the corner and the team just couldn't get the ball to him. We have to work on the defense, the Titans got beat down low on missed assignments a few times last night.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Digger Phelps and Bill Walton provided the color commentary for the ND UCLA game today on abc. We were mentioned 6 times, in the context that ND just recently set school records in assists or 3 pointers in a game, or that Calipari’s son plays for us. Referred to as:

Twice: Detroit
Twice: Detroit Mercer
Once: Detroit Mercy
Once: “Detroit Mercy, Oh Mercy!”
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball