Toledo

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Toledo

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Interestingly, LaGrand is listed as a forward, and Brandon and Moore are both listed as guard/forward. Moore maybe, but Brandon no.

I like LaGrand up top because he's good on the zone D that Coach uses. And he drives. I imagine that with him and AD in the backcourt LaGrand can drive and score or if the defenses collapse he can dish back to a trailing AD who can pop from 15 feet. Against Toledo, no one on the team was hitting the short-range jumpers, just the threes. We know AD can hit those 15-footers. (Titans his 46% of their three-pointers versus just 32 percent of two-pointers.)

And it shows how much we miss Maxwell and Pink as other ball handlers.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 pm

udballer wrote:Well said, JDetroitTitan.

Nobody is saying he is a poor player, simply calling out the ballhandling for what it appeared to be. I was in Calihan and noticed exactly what you noted... which was why I made my initial comment. He was excessively dribbing between his legs and regularly fumbling it before getting back under control. He didn't pay for it because he was doing this with nobody pressuring him. Made me think that he may have some issues when facing pressure. His handles were perfectly fine to contribute to the team... just not what I'd expect from someone charged with getting the ball up court successfully.

That said, that is simply something he'd need to improve on (in my opinion) if he's charged with running the point. I don't think it was a TV vs. Calihan thing. If you were paying attention to the game, you'd have noticed even though it didn't show itself in the stat line.

To me, the Sophomore class does look better than expected at this point. Looking forward to seeing them continue to develop. There were a lot of positive takeaways from what I saw watching them perform without AD on Saturday. I just wish all of the positives would have resulted in a victory. Unfortunately, we had about a 4 minute stretch midway through the second half that sealed our fate against a more talented Toledo squad.

I agree, his ball handling was shaky at times, however, i think that is a sign of someone needing more repetition and practice. Legrand has good size and he's a decent athlete. I think he has a lot of upside, I am looking forward to watching him develop.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 pm

udballer wrote:I didn't see any reason that we should not be playing Brandon 32+ minutes per game moving forward. He's a sophomore, plays big and always brings energy.

I agree, If he isnt in foul trouble he should be playing. I wonder why he doesnt play more? He is missing assignments or not following instructions?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:21 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
udballer wrote:I didn't see any reason that we should not be playing Brandon 32+ minutes per game moving forward. He's a sophomore, plays big and always brings energy.

I agree, If he isnt in foul trouble he should be playing. I wonder why he doesnt play more? He is missing assignments or not following instructions?

It might be that he has a taciturn nature, but I don't see much in the way of enthusiasm from him. He does something spectacular and the announcers are all ga-ga and he just kind of shrugs it off. I'd like to see him a little more animated but that just might not be his nature.

But I agree, he should be playing a lot more time. I hope that when we approach HL time (and that is upon us soon) Coach has a seven- or eight-man rotation with five guys getting 30 or minutes per game and a couple of "Vinnie Johnsons."
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:13 am

We are a much better team when Chris Brandon plays well. To date, he has been inconsistent with brilliant games at NC State and Clemson plus Toledo offset by games where he missed countless defensive assignments; e.g., the Ohio game a few weeks ago. This causes him to lose playing time. The day before the Toledo game, after practice, Earl Cureton took him aside and talked to him about the importance of playing his role well. Defense, rebound, blocks. If he can carry forward this type of play into most of the upcoming games, then we will be a much tougher team in the HL.
ptctitan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball