Northeastern Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Northeastern Preview

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:01 am

ptctitan wrote:I'm glad he said those things publicly. Let's see how the players respond from this point forward.

When this is the most positive thing that ptc can post, we're in trouble. :?
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:12 am

udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote:I'm glad he said those things publicly. Let's see how the players respond from this point forward.

When this is the most positive thing that ptc can post, we're in trouble. :?

Haha. Exactly. I came here hoping to hear ptc give a positive spin. Something like how if you break down the numbers we actually played good basketball during minutes 8-10 and 19-20 of the first half. Or, if the Egypt recruit gets cleared to play next week we are back in business because we just need that one big man to unlock our potential.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:16 am

udballer - why would you be confused by my comment? We did not play a very good game last night. When the Titan who most resembled an Ethiopian famine refugee showed the most energy in a winnable game, I think the players have merited a come-to-Coach meeting today. No different than when Izzo got in Aaron Henry's face last season. I think we all know that this team can play better because they showed it against UC-Irvine. And, if they give a good account of themselves on the floor as they did vs Toledo, then the loss can be understood. Davis praised them after the Toledo game only to see them follow up with last night.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am

Best thing about the game last night was talking to Doug Anderson
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 pm

At this point it's tough to see more than 7-8 wins on the year. I think we'll win Saturday, and then lose to Gonzaga at year end. So that's 2 non-conference wins. After that... well, we can probably split with IUPUI, Cleveland State, and Milwaukee, so that's 5 wins. And we are probably good for one or two upsets, a la UC-Irvine. So I'd have to predict between 5 and 7 wins on the season, or, expanding the parameters a bit, somewhere between 3 and 9 wins.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:53 pm

ptctitan wrote:udballer - why would you be confused by my comment? We did not play a very good game last night. When the Titan who most resembled an Ethiopian famine refugee showed the most energy in a winnable game, I think the players have merited a come-to-Coach meeting today. No different than when Izzo got in Aaron Henry's face last season. I think we all know that this team can play better because they showed it against UC-Irvine. And, if they give a good account of themselves on the floor as they did vs Toledo, then the loss can be understood. Davis praised them after the Toledo game only to see them follow up with last night.

No confusion here. I figured if there was something positive out there, you'd have found it. Being that your post was what it was... I think we might be in trouble.

The only thing I'd disagree with in your latest post was the statement that seems to say AD brought the most energy. I think because AD is (easily) the best player on our team he gets alot of free passes. Free passes from both the fans and the coach.

Personally, I didn't see much out of anybody on the team in terms of energy yesterday, AD included. If the built in excuse for that is an ailment then once again he should probably not be playing until he's ready. He came out strong at the beginning of both halves, but outside of those 5-6 minutes of game time he wasn't able to do much out there. Would've been better to sit him as soon as he tired, if that was the problem.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 pm

udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote:udballer - why would you be confused by my comment? We did not play a very good game last night. When the Titan who most resembled an Ethiopian famine refugee showed the most energy in a winnable game, I think the players have merited a come-to-Coach meeting today. No different than when Izzo got in Aaron Henry's face last season. I think we all know that this team can play better because they showed it against UC-Irvine. And, if they give a good account of themselves on the floor as they did vs Toledo, then the loss can be understood. Davis praised them after the Toledo game only to see them follow up with last night.

No confusion here. I figured if there was something positive out there, you'd have found it. Being that your post was what it was... I think we might be in trouble.

The only thing I'd disagree with in your latest post was the statement that seems to say AD brought the most energy. I think because AD is (easily) the best player on our team he gets alot of free passes. Free passes from both the fans and the coach.

Personally, I didn't see much out of anybody on the team in terms of energy yesterday, AD included. If the built in excuse for that is an ailment then once again he should probably not be playing until he's ready. He came out strong at the beginning of both halves, but outside of those 5-6 minutes of game time he wasn't able to do much out there. Would've been better to sit him as soon as he tired, if that was the problem.

If you asked anyone I sat around, if they were giving Antoine a pass, I can assure you they were not.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Good to hear. I take it they weren't making comments like "AD is the only one hustling" then. I respect that. It's good to be a realist and try to look at the team without bias. In my eyes, we have a poor team. AD is without doubt our best player but he is far from flawless. I'm not sure that his NBA draft stock will ever be higher than it was 7 games into last year.

That is probably good news from Titan fan perspective as he'll most likely spend 4 years here. That said, we'll be wasting him if we don't get some additional talent in here. If the tournament ban is indeed over, the cuffs are now absolutely off and the expectations on Davis in recruiting should be at an all time high this offseason.
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm

udballer wrote:The only thing I'd disagree with in your latest post was the statement that seems to say AD brought the most energy. I think because AD is (easily) the best player on our team he gets alot of free passes. Free passes from both the fans and the coach.

Antoine did bring the most energy - compared to his teammates. But that's not sayin' much about the others - with the exception of Willy who did make a good effort most of the time. That's not the same thing as saying that Antoine played a particularly good game.

But this is now past history and the events and effort cannot be changed. What can be changed is tomorrow's effort and quality of play. Time for these guys to step up and prove their coach to have been overly pessimistic in his postgame assessment of their play. Now that we have the postseason waiver, there is no excuse for a continued lack of effort and a continued lack of improved play.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:56 pm

I didn't see much for effort out of Antoine. Maybe that was due to the illness or maybe not. I saw alot of forced shots, but I didn't confuse that with superb effort.
udballer
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Got to say I have more respect for our coach after listening to that.

It's a must listen if you haven't listened to it yet!

Too often were just hearing excuses (ahem WBB) out of coaches but he is right on the money and it's got to sting a little that his son is on that team and his other son is assisting as a coach.

Here's to hoping that is the bottom point of the season for the Titans and things will improve. Doesn't sound like he thinks it can be fixed by him and it might be a "no Buddy's" season.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:18 pm

I think we'll see some players lose minutes the rest of this season.

I think we'll see some disgruntled players transfer at the end of the season.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:11 pm

dennycrane wrote:Dave, have you been watching the past several games or just tonight? Legrand is playing 17 minutes PER GAME and has 5 field goals for the season. In one recent game his line was 27 minutes and 2 points. He did have a nice game last Saturday with 7 assists however.

I'm not saying that LeGrand is going to 'light it up' at the offensive end. However, he handles the ball well and he's displayed an ability to drive to the bucket.

His 5 field goals came from 13 attempts (39%) and he's 6 of 7 from the F-Throw line.
titandave
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball