Eli Holman jersey retirement (January 25)

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Eli Holman jersey retirement (January 25)

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 pm

DETROIT (1/14/2020) -- The honoring of some great Titans on and off the court will continue during champions week as the University of Detroit Mercy Department of Athletics has announced that Eli Holman's jersey will be retired on Jan. 25.

The ceremony will take place pregame before the 1 p.m. tip against UIC.

"Eli was a standout Titan and a member of some great, championship teams that helped bring Detroit Mercy back to the top" said Director of Athletics Robert C. Vowels, Jr. "He has shown his dedication to making Titan athletics a top priority and helping our student-athletes and facilities with his generous contributions."

Holman was part of the biggest turnaround in school history as Detroit Mercy went from 7-23 in 2008-09 to 20-14 the following year and a trip to the Horizon League Championship semifinals and an eventual Horizon League Championship and NCAA Tournament bid as a senior.

He became the 34th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points as he averaged 11.5 points and 8.6 rebounds with 29 double-doubles in his three years, while shooting a school-record 61.0 percent from the field. He was also one of the best defensive players in the league as his 163 blocks in the Motor City stand second in school history.

In his first season with the Titans, he was named to the HL All-Newcomer Team after averaging 11.8 points and a team and HL best 8.9 rebounds per game with 11 double-doubles. His 2.5 blocks per game led the Horizon League and was third in school history, while his 77 total blocks were the fourth-most in a single season in the record book.

As a junior, he was selected the team's Robert Calihan co-Most Valuable Player and was an All-Horizon League Second Team honoree and a member of the All-Defensive Team as well as a CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Defensive All-America selection after topping the league in both offensive and defensive rebounds and tallying a Horizon League-best 13 double-doubles.

It all came together in his final campaign as he was the Horizon League Sixth Player of the Year and selected as one of 21 honorees on the 2012 CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Defensive All-America team. He averaged 10.8 points and 7.0 rebounds per game and led the team in field goal percentage and rebounding, while finishing second with 35 total blocks.

In the Horizon League championship run, he started the tournament with a team-high 20 points against Loyola in the first round and then had a double-double with 11 points and 10 boards against Youngstown State in the quarterfinals. In the NCAA Tournament, he ended his career as the big man he was for three years, posting another double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds against nationally-ranked Kansas.

After graduation, he went on to play in the NBA Summer League and has had an outstanding career playing overseas.

In 2016, he showed his appreciation to his alma mater by helping to finalize the Thomas and Arvie McNamara Family Student-Athlete Academic Center with the Eli Holman Study Hall with a generous gift and has made contributions to women's basketball, women's soccer and men's lacrosse.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Eli Holman jersey retirement (January 25)

Postby Titan Andrew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:It all came together in his final campaign as he was the Horizon League Sixth Player of the Year and selected as one of 21 honorees on the 2012 CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Defensive All-America team.

The bar just got really low with this one. Hall of Fame is a stretch but jersey retirement is nuts. Looking forward to attending the Ryvon Covile jersey retirement ceremony next year...
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Titan Andrew wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:It all came together in his final campaign as he was the Horizon League Sixth Player of the Year and selected as one of 21 honorees on the 2012 CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Defensive All-America team.

The bar just got really low with this one. Hall of Fame is a stretch but jersey retirement is nuts. Looking forward to attending the Ryvon Covile jersey retirement ceremony next year...

All three of the players whose jerseys are being retired have an All-America honor. Many schools have All-America selections as a criterion for honors.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 pm

I liked Eli Holman a lot during his career here, got to know him a bit, and have happily followed his success overseas since then. I do not understand the rush to retire his number, particularly on the same day as Willie Green's retirement festivities. Each of these events should stand alone, ie be held on separate days.

The Athletic Department seems to have a case of retirement fever. Is this being done to distract attention from what's going on on the basketball court? Both programs are terrible; there is very little reason for optimism in either one.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 pm

On November 8, 2019, two days before the season started, the university announced that Green and Holman plus others would be inducted into the Hall of Fame on January 24th and again honored at the January 25th basketball game.

https://detroittitans.com/news/2019/11/8/former-titan-student-athletes-titans-announce-15-member-2020-hall-of-fame-class.aspx

Plus nominations and the criteria for induction into the Hall of Fame were announced on August 27, 2019.

https://detroittitans.com/news/2019/8/27/general-hall-of-fame-nominations-now-open.aspx
ptctitan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 pm

That's good to know, pct, but it relates to the Hall of Fame. It doesn't explain the haste with which this is being done.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am

dennycrane - they're retiring Holman's jersey - not his number. At Media Day in late October, I believe that they announced they would retire the jerseys of Cureton, Green, Holman & Tullos plus Lydia Johnson's jersey. They're retiring Holman's jersey because he played well here and has been a generous donor to the Titan Athletics after he turned pro. Instead of asking why the rush on Holman, I ask why did it take so long to retire the jerseys of these other Titan greats?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 am

ptc
No one is going to get the number retired under our current policy. Jersey retired should be a real big honor. I don't think Eli's contributions as a player rise to that level. Sorry.

There are many other ways to recognize donors to the University. Giving should not be a criteria in whether a jersey isretired.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am

Big Chuck - I'm not justifying retiring his jersey - merely pointing out that the university admits in its press release that his generous donations are one of the reasons for the honor. My real question is why did we wait so long to retire the other jerseys? Originally, I misunderstood dennycrane's post as a criticism of why we were rushing all the jersey retirements this month. Then, upon review, I saw that he meant only Holman's. I can understand why the retirement of his jersey raises questions.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Titan Andrew wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote: All three of the players whose jerseys are being retired have an All-America honor. Many schools have All-America selections as a criterion for honors.

It's a pretty long stretch to call a website's Mid-Major Defensive All-America an All-America honor since it only covers a sub-set ("Mid-Majors") of D1 teams.
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm

Let's get down to brass tacks.

Eli is a talented ball player, he came to Detroit Mercy as part of the program rejuvenation under McCallum. He was a strong player and a key part of the team that went to the NCAA tournament and he has a shelf full of league awards. His professional career has been outstanding. In addition, Eli graduated and has supported the University in many ways since his playing days. He has earned having his jersey retired.

Additionally, so many voices have said "why did it take so long" to honor Cureton and Green. Well, no argument that those awards are belated, but that is no reason to make the same mistake and delay honoring Eli.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm

I'm in the camp of those scratching their heads over this jersey retirement. At least now Derrick Hayes can look forward to his jersey retirement also. He must be a shoe-in.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 am

udballer wrote:I'm in the camp of those scratching their heads over this jersey retirement. At least now Derrick Hayes can look forward to his jersey retirement also. He must be a shoe-in.

Do we bash other players because of our opinions?
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 pm

udballer wrote:I'm in the camp of those scratching their heads over this jersey retirement. At least now Derrick Hayes can look forward to his jersey retirement also. He must be a shoe-in.

The negative connotation toward Eli is really disturbing. Eli has earned his honor, let it rest. If you want someone else to have his jersey retired, work on that but without denigrating Eli, his achievements and his ongoing relationship with the U.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 pm

titanmike wrote:

Not sure I follow. Derrick Hayes is my all-time favorite Titan. Based on his accomplishments as a Titan, I see this as being a signifier that his jersey should be retired... if Eli is the current bar.

Personally, I scratch my head because I envision a much higher standard for jersey retirement. That's all. I don't see how that is denigrating Eli at all. His numbers are what they are and he was a great Titan. I also appreciate his generous donations to the program. However, I usually envision jersey retirement reserved for a very select few.

My thoughts on this one are in lockstep with Big Chuck's comments.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:

Not sure I follow. Derrick Hayes is my all-time favorite Titan. Based on his accomplishments as a Titan, I see this as being a signifier that his jersey should be retired... if Eli is the current bar.

Personally, I scratch my head because I envision a much higher standard for jersey retirement. That's all. I don't see how that is denigrating Eli at all. His numbers are what they are and he was a great Titan. I also appreciate his generous donations to the program. However, I usually envision jersey retirement reserved for a very select few.

My thoughts on this one are in lockstep with Big Chuck's comments.

I took it differently because it sounded like sarcasm to me. Maybe we can start a new topic thread that discusses criteria instead of whether former players meet the current criteria.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Sounds like a good topic to me. D Hayes deserves induction based on his performance in the NCAA Tourney vs. St. John's alone.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 pm

udballer wrote:

Jersey retirement is not for the select few. Number retirement is.

When I went to the NC State game I looked up in the rafters. One single number was retired, David Thompson. Dozens of jerseys were retired. I've lived in North Carolina for more than four decades and followed college basketball here pretty closely, and there are jerseys with names I have no recollection. There are players who made less of a contribution to the Wolfpack program than the contribution Eli made to the Titan program. Eli was a central player in the rejuvenation of the program after the PW years. He deserves the honor.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Please list the Titan jerseys that have been retired. Then, it will be an apples to apples comparison. I can probably name a dozen Titans that should have their jerseys retired if Eli has his retired. For some reason, I'm doubting that they do.

P.S. Rodney Monroe should've had his number retired at NC State. He was a beast. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 pm

udballer wrote:Please list the Titan jerseys that have been retired. Then, it will be an apples to apples comparison. I can probably name a dozen Titans that should have their jerseys retired if Eli has his retired. For some reason, I'm doubting that they do.

My memory is that there was a policy change when Ray McCallum came here and wanted Phillip's #4. They unretired the number and justified it by deciding that no more would a number be retired, but jersey's would be. There was no discussion that the standards would be less for a jersey retirement.
Big Chuck
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball