Milwaukee thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Milwaukee thread

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Milwaukee

When: Thursday, January 16, 8:00 p.m. EST
Where: Milwaukee, WI
TV:ESPN+
Radio: AM 910

A year ago today Detroit was coming off of a 93-84 win over Milwaukee that lifted the Titans to 5-1 in Horizon League Play, in first place, a half game ahead of Northern Kentucky. At that point, all seemed to be going according to plan. The Titans had had a rough non-conference seasons, going 3-9, but they had played surprisingly well at times, most notably blowing out a good Bowling Green squad, and then opened conference play with a bang. That 5-1 start included a 21-point crushing of one of the pre-season favorites, Wright State, and a 2-0 road record.

Since then, the Titans have played the equivalent of one regular season--31 games, including 18 conference games. Our record is 6-25 overall, 4-14 in conference. Through last year's Milwaukee game, Antoine Davis had averaged 27.7 points, shooting 42.1% from three. Since then, Antoine has averaged 23.8 points per game, shooting 31.6% from three. His assists totals remained constant at 3.6 per game, but his turnovers rose from 2.8 per game to 4.0 per game. Hand injury or no, we may have to consider the possibility that Antoine is a 31 percent shooter from deep, and then his hot start last year was the aberration. I don't think that's true, but the possibility is there.

So we're right where things seemed to go off-track in the Davis rebuilding plan. It's early. I have confidence in Coach over the longer term. But the idea of a quick turnaround no longer seems realistic. Can we get back on track this weekend? I think so, but it's hardly guaranteed.

First up is Milwaukee, which is on a 3 game winning streak, including last week-ends road win over arch rival Green Bay. The Panthers are 8-9 overall, and 3-2 in conference.

The first order of business for the Titans may be to stop DeAndre Abram, the Panthers' 6-8 senior. Abram's career high in points is 31, scored against the Titans in that loss a year ago (he shot 12-19, 6-13 from three, and had 7 rebounds and 3 steals). His next highest scoring game is 28 (again shooting 12-19), scored against the Titans in another loss in February. He loves playing against the Titans.

The new guy to worry about is TeJon Lucas, late of the University of Illinois, who has taken over the point for the Panthers. Lucas is the reigning Horizon League Player of the Week, based on his 31 point, 5 rebound, 5 assist performance at Green Bay. For the season, he's averaging 15.5 points and 4.4 assists, the latter total good for 3rd in the league. Lucas has allowed Darius Roy, an underrated player, to move from the point to his more natural position at shooting guard. Roy has responded with a team best 16 ppg.

The other starters should be a pair of freshmen, C.J. Wilbourn and Courtney Brown. Wilbourn is the only Panther to start every game this year, although he is just 6th on the team in total minutes played. The Panthers like Wilbourn for his defense, and his spot has solidified as senior center Amir Allen has played his way out of the lineup and nearly out of the rotation. Brown, a big shooting guard, has started the last three games after coming off the bench through the Panthers first 14 games.

Off the bench, expect to see junior guard Josh Thomas, a juco who has started 7 games this year; senior forward Will Sessoms; and 6-10 junior forward Harrison Henderson, a transfer from USC who has been something of a disappointment to Panther fans. Sophomore Arturo Bingham will likely see the floor, but redshirt freshman Shae Mitchell has seen his playing time cut significantly and probably won't play more than a cameo role.

Milwaukee plays a mildly up-tempo game on offense and normally uses a man-to-man defense. They've been a good team on the offensive boards, but overall are at a rebounding deficit vis their opponents. The Panthers and Titans rank 9th and 10th in the league, respectively, in shooting percentage, so there should be plenty of opportunities for offensive boards. They're big on the perimeter, with the 6-8 Allen, 6-7 Brown, and 6-7 Mitchell playing out along the arc. But none of their forwards--Wilbourn, Sessoms, Allen, and Harrison--have shown the ability to score in the paint with any consistency. My sense is that the Titans will want to extend that zone until Milwaukee shows it can score inside. And, of course, we'll have to keep them off the offensive glass. The main three point shooters are Roy, Brown, and Titan-killer Abram. Bingham is a good three point shooter off the bench, and if everyone is cold they may try Mitchell, who can shoot from deep. Lucas and Thomas are both under 30 percent from deep, but they will shoot it and with our luck each will probably nail 4 or more treys on Thursday. Roy and Lucas will both gamble on defense and if we still haven't gotten our ball-handling together, they could give us some fits.

[Edited]. I rarely make specific predictions, but 'm going out on a limb here--I think Miller and AD have big nights and the Titans win with relative ease.

Probable Starters
PG: Te'Jon Lucas, 6-2 RS Jr. (15.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.4 apg, 29.9% 3PtFG)
SG: Darius Roy, 6-2 Sr. (16.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.2 spg).
SF: Courtney Brown, 6-7 Fr. (4.1 ppg, 38.6% 3PtFG).
SF: DeAndre Abram, 6-8 RS Sr. (9.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 32.9% 3PtFG)
C: C.J. Wilbourn, 6-7 Fr. (3.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg)

Reserves
G: Josh Thomas, 6-4 Jr. (10.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 23.8% 3PtFG)
G: Arturo Bingham, 6-5 Soph. (3.0 ppg, 47.6% 3PtFG)
SF: Shae Mitchell, 6-7 RS Fr. (2.5 ppg)
PF: Amir Allen, 6-8 Jr. (4.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg)
PF: Will Sessoms, 6-9 Sr. (4.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg)
C: Harrison Henderson, 6-10 RS Jr. (3.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg)
Last edited by Commissioner on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Milwaukee thread

Postby Notsosmart » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 am

Commish, It's not often that I can correct you but all ten teams make the tourney this year. 3 plays 10 -4-9. 5=8. 6-7 and then reseeded. Best seed at home. 1 and 2 go right to semi's. two games on campus gets the other two teams to indy
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 am

Notsosmart wrote:Commish, It's not often that I can correct you but all ten teams make the tourney this year. 3 plays 10 -4-9. 5=8. 6-7 and then reseeded. Best seed at home. 1 and 2 go right to semi's. two games on campus gets the other two teams to indy

True, indeed.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm

MIL is -6 according to Vegas and GB a -4 vs OAK
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Titan JJ » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Glad we hung on 90-84.
Titan JJ
Junior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 am

Much needed win. The team started down the similar slide like the Wright State game, thankfully we had enough to hang on. We have been on the losing side of so many close games, it's nice finally win one. When Davis fouled out, I thought is was over. Great play down the stretch by Moore and Rose to grind out some points in the stretch. Key 3-point play by Moore and block on the fast break block by Brandon to slow down the Milwaukee momentum. Great to see our guys overcome some adversity and get it done. One improvement was the inbound passes late in the game.

Another note, watched the game on ESPN Plus. I thought the telecast was poor. The cameras were zoom happy and I missed some of the plays. Felt like I was on a the tilt a whirl ride at one point. The overall court cam was zoomed into the plays under the hoop and was not able to see action outside of the frame. One play in particular I missed was the Moore inbound pass play towards the end of the after the called time out. I know it's not a high profile game, but a quality production would be nice.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby titanarama » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:08 am

I'll take this win with no complaints. With the way this season has been going, I thought we might never win another game. EVER... :oops:
No MERCY in Detroit.
titanarama
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 am

UDDRUMMER wrote:Much needed win. The team started down the similar slide like the Wright State game, thankfully we had enough to hang on. We have been on the losing side of so many close games, it's nice finally win one. When Davis fouled out, I thought is was over. Great play down the stretch by Moore and Rose to grind out some points in the stretch. Key 3-point play by Moore and block on the fast break block by Brandon to slow down the Milwaukee momentum. Great to see our guys overcome some adversity and get it done. One improvement was the inbound passes late in the game.

Another note, watched the game on ESPN Plus. I thought the telecast was poor. The cameras were zoom happy and I missed some of the plays. Felt like I was on a the tilt a whirl ride at one point. The overall court cam was zoomed into the plays under the hoop and was not able to see action outside of the frame. One play in particular I missed was the Moore inbound pass play towards the end of the after the called time out. I know it's not a high profile game, but a quality production would be nice.

After a Titan turnover in the open court gave Milwaukee what appeared to be an easy layup, Brandon came out of nowhere to swat it away, successfully avoiding what would have been his fifth foul. Play of the game. When he did foul out with 26 seconds remaining, I was fearing we might be headed to overtime without our best two players. Also nice to see Moore and Rose contribute so much, probably had their best games as Titans.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:32 am

Nice long report on the game from Milwaukee media source:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/c ... 483032002/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
UDDRUMMER wrote:Much needed win. The team started down the similar slide like the Wright State game, thankfully we had enough to hang on. We have been on the losing side of so many close games, it's nice finally win one. When Davis fouled out, I thought is was over. Great play down the stretch by Moore and Rose to grind out some points in the stretch. Key 3-point play by Moore and block on the fast break block by Brandon to slow down the Milwaukee momentum. Great to see our guys overcome some adversity and get it done. One improvement was the inbound passes late in the game.

After a Titan turnover in the open court gave Milwaukee what appeared to be an easy layup, Brandon came out of nowhere to swat it away, successfully avoiding what would have been his fifth foul. Play of the game. When he did foul out with 26 seconds remaining, I was fearing we might be headed to overtime without our best two players. Also nice to see Moore and Rose contribute so much, probably had their best games as Titans.

Agree with all counts. Moore and Brandon both had 40-minute games. As I said elsewhere, I think the injuries have forced Coach into a more set rotation, and I think we've seen the benefits. I was a little afraid, too, when AD fouled out because when he sat otherwise you could see the team just passing the ball around and no one willing to take a shot. But the team responded and earned the win. Lord, I love watching Brandon play. Blocks and big rebounds. My fave player.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Nice long report on the game from Milwaukee media source:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/c ... 483032002/

Maybe the first time anyone's ever mixed up Marquis Moore and Dwayne Rose.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball