Top Titan of the Decade

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Top Titan of the Teens

Poll ended at Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Paris Bass
No votes
Kameron Chatman
No votes
Antoine Davis
No votes
Jaleel Hogan
No votes
Eli Holman
No votes
Juwan Howard, Jr.
No votes
Ray McCallum
75%
Nick Minnerath
8%
Chase Simon
No votes
Other
17%

Total votes : 12

Top Titan of the Decade

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Who was the best Titan player in the last decade (2010-19)? You can choose from the 9 Titans to be first or second team all-conference in the decade, or pick "other"--but let us know who in the comments.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Top Titan of the Decade

Postby sacredheartgreg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Top Titan of decade is easy for me.A guy who gave his all to the program for 4 years, went through some real BS but persevered and was just as good if not better of a player than the others listed. Please put Josh McFolley on that list.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:Top Titan of decade is easy for me.A guy who gave his all to the program for 4 years, went through some real BS but persevered and was just as good if not better of a player than the others listed. Please put Josh McFolley on that list.

I thought the same thing. I’d probably still say Ray. But McFolley was legit when it came to attitude, court presence, dedication. Played hard and you could tell he wanted to win every game. If we had a player like him commit every year we’d be in good shape.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 pm

I picked McCallum. Would have picked McFolley if he were there. Almost picked Bass based on talent alone, but didn't like his attitude and he didn't play long enough.
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:Top Titan of decade is easy for me.A guy who gave his all to the program for 4 years, went through some real BS but persevered and was just as good if not better of a player than the others listed. Please put Josh McFolley on that list.

+3
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Picked McCallum because he played 3 years point guard and played well. Always thought he got a little too much blame at time for being the coach's son.

For those making a case for McFolley, all I can think of is what he could have been. If he had played for Davis 4 years (same could be said for Blackshear) what players they could have been. Three coaches didn't do favors for either of them. Jason Calliste was another good player that between injuries and coaching decisions could have been so much better (and maybe stayed for his last year).
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Ray McCallum was by far the best player of the decade.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:16 am

Big Chuck wrote:
For those making a case for McFolley, all I can think of is what he could have been. If he had played for Davis 4 years (same could be said for Blackshear) what players they could have been..

+3
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 am

agree rb. easily.

sam will get all defensive but ray sr. wasn't much of an x's n o's guy. a lot of talent tho. davis would have made them all better. minerath would probably have been in the nba then. still find it hard to believe he never made it. he was the second best of the decade after ray. mo
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm

titanmac wrote:agree rb. easily.

sam will get all defensive but ray sr. wasn't much of an x's n o's guy. a lot of talent tho. davis would have made them all better. minerath would probably have been in the nba then. still find it hard to believe he never made it. he was the second best of the decade after ray. mo

Totally agree.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Along with R.B., I also feel it's Ray McCallum. Played three good years, all league recognition, no controversy or suspensions and drafted into the NBA. It's not close. Minnerath might be second choice.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:39 pm

titanmac wrote:agree rb. easily.

Davis could potentially have made those guys better. The question is could he have even gotten them to begin with? The answer to that one is still very much TBD at this point.
udballer
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Big Chuck wrote: For those making a case for McFolley, all I can think of is what he could have been. If he had played for Davis 4 years (same could be said for Blackshear) what players they could have been. Three coaches didn't do favors for either of them.

The point I was trying to make was what if they had played in one system for their entire career. Not only did they have 3 coaches, but 3 different systems.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 am

Josh McFolley was a good player who got stuck on some bad teams. I suppose "top" or "best" can mean a lot of different things to different people, but the idea that Josh McFolley was the best Titan player of the decade, in the way most people use "best" when talking about athletic heroes, strikes me as an idea that is not intended to be taken seriously.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:01 pm

We haven't had alot of great players there, Commish. McFolley offered alot in terms of defense as well. I voted for Ray, though I don't think he was anything near a superstar.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 pm

udballer wrote:We haven't had alot of great players there, Commish. McFolley offered alot in terms of defense as well. I voted for Ray, though I don't think he was anything near a superstar.

Your first sentence suggests that this is debatable. Even giving Josh extra credit for playing 4 full seasons with the Titans (interesting that none of the 9 to earn all-conference honors did), the idea that he was the best Titan of the decade (again, as people usually use that term, i.e. on-court play) is not to be taken seriously. He was a good player. One could certainly put him ahead of a one-year players like Kam Chatman, or even a very good three year player like Chase Simon, depending on how much you value longevity.

Good player. I liked Josh a lot. Some may recall that on the other board I even maintained a "McFolley Watch" thread as he crept up the ranks of all-time Titan leaders. But the "best" player of the decade? Nah.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Yet, there are potentially 2 votes for Josh already recorded on this thread... neither of which came from me. :)

Lately I've even started wondering when Josh's jersey will be retired.
udballer
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball