Ticket Office

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Ticket Office

Postby dtowntitan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 pm

I have to say that I am pretty disappointed with the Ticket office..... So I have been bringing a group of about 20 or so people to one game a year, roughly 10 CYO players and 10 parents, all of which have some potential interest in a private school education. We typically come, I give them a quick tour of campus, tell them a little about my time here as a student, and then we enjoy a game together, as a wrap up to our basketball season..... So in years past, when Brandon Longmeir and Greg Haapala were still around they would simply comp us the tickets, and even one year gave all of the players a jersey from the gift shop. The last few years, I have had to pay $5 per ticket. So I send the e-mail this year, and the response is that for group tickets the cost is $12 per person. I was expecting to pay the $5 per person, and given that we have had <1000 fans at all of our home games this season I would have expected them to be a little more interested in 1. getting fans in the seats, and 2. getting people on campus that might later spend thousands on education, or become fans themselves. As an alum it was pretty disappointing to say the least.
dtowntitan
Senior

Re: Ticket Office

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Too bad. But when the team is playing this well and has a record as good as this, you can’t expect the school to just give away tickets. Also, how do they know you won’t turn around and sell the tickets for big bucks on the secondary market?
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 pm

The DetroitTitans.com website says general admission tickets for children 13 and under is $6; for groups of 10 or more including adults, general admission is $5. Needless to say, always specify you want general admission or the box office will try and sell you more expensive and clearly unnecessary reserved seats (regular price $15, discounted to $12 for groups). That said, I have long advocated that the Athletic Department should be making a full-throttle effort to get groups like CYO teams, Boy Scouts, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Gesu Elementary, PAL, etc., to Calihan at no charge. I would recommend you make your concerns known directly to the Athletic Director, perhaps there is still time to make amends for another game late this season if not next year.

As an aside, for Titan WBB the University does have at least two games this season where a large promotion effort is made to promote youth attendance, and there is no admission charge. One was “Field Trip Day” held on December 5 (attendance 4,574) the other is “National Girls & Women in Sports Day” (scheduled for February 8). Wish we could do something similar every year on the MBB side, think such a promotion would work best for a Saturday matinee game.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 pm

You also might want to contact the admissions office. Perhaps they will sponsor your visit.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:44 pm

NC Titan wrote:You also might want to contact the admissions office. Perhaps they will sponsor your visit.

FWIW, just last week I spoke to an acquaintance who works in graduate admissions at the University, and we chatted a bit about attendance at basketball games. She said that she used to be provided with an ample supply of tickets or passes that she could hand out to prospective students and their families, but that is no longer the case. Again, I think we are being penny wise and pound foolish in being tight-fisted with MBB tickets. I’ve heard the other side of the argument (essentially that when you give out free tickets it devalues the ones purchased by paying customers like me) but I disagree. Let’s face it, the majority of our basketball revenue comes from the multitude of road buy games we’ve booked, for the home dates we need to be pulling out all the stops to at least fill up the bleacher sections. For games at Calihan, I’m not advocating letting everyone in for free for every game, but for targeted dates and situations I would advocate for a policy of more liberally giving out comp tickets to youth groups, community organizations, prospective students, veterans and first responders, etc. Benefits include: a better game-day atmosphere; extra revenue from parking, concessions, gift shop sales, etc.; establishing good will and potentially creating longer term fans for the program.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:33 am

Agreed. The whole AD sucks when it comes this stuff. Prices for games are too high all things considered. Offer tickets for a dollar but they have to sit up top. 5 bucks for bleachers to fill them up. They used to have a 100 dollar Titan Club membership as well. All these things are nickel and dimes that add up. Instead they cater to the big fish and forget about the little ones.

Concessions are seriously lacking also. No thought or enjoyment from the menu or lack thereof. Same for marketing and game day events. Hard to bring a family with two little ones without a theme of some sorts. Some sort of entertainment.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 am

prices are fine. i have no idea what you guys are talking about. the discounted 6 dollar tickets are about reasonable as you can get.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball