Conference Record: 10-8

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Conference Record: 10-8

Postby titandave » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:05 pm

We currently stand at 4-5 in conference play. Assuming we continue to play smart with great effort; we have a good shot at finishing 10-8.

W Oakland (home)
L Wright State (away)
L Northern Kentucky (away)
W Youngstown State (home)
W Cleveland State (home)
W Green Bay (home)
W Milwaukee (home)
L UIC (away)
W IUPUI (away)
titandave
Senior

Re: Conference Record: 10-8

Postby titanmac » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:12 pm

the important thing is we continue to improve, continue to bang on the boards, continue to hang onto the ball, continue to stay out of foul trouble and to keep moving the ball. we'll get our share and will be ready to the extent we keep doing those things...
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:54 pm

I love seeing the balanced team wide contributions. I’m scared to know What Davis’ shooting percentage is?!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:30 pm

yeah. he'll be fine. shooter gotta shoot. some nights its even scarier to watch him handle the ball.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:26 am

Did winning the NCAA appeal make us eligible for post-season play?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:59 am

The-Dude wrote:I love seeing the balanced team wide contributions. I’m scared to know What Davis’ shooting percentage is?!

The thing is that no one but AD could have made the 3 pointer with 13 seconds left; and, up until recently, AD would not have passed the final shot to anyone. And, if you saw his reaction to LeGrand's winning shot, you'd know that he cares a lot more about winning than his shooting percentage.

NC Titan wrote:Did winning the NCAA appeal make us eligible for post-season play?

It is my understanding that we did not win the appeal in the sense that the NCAA recalculated our APR; rather, the NCAA has waived the automatic ban on post season eligibility against us. Therefore, we are eligible to play in the HL tournament and any other post season tourney to which we qualify.

As to the title of this thread. We have shown this year that we can compete with and lose to any team in the HL. But let's take things one game at a time. Win Friday and then worry about the next game. When the dust settles, our W-L record in the HL will speak for itself.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:32 am

ptctitan wrote:
The-Dude wrote:I love seeing the balanced team wide contributions. I’m scared to know What Davis’ shooting percentage is?!

The thing is that no one but AD could have made the 3 pointer with 13 seconds left; and, up until recently, AD would not have passed the final shot to anyone. And, if you saw his reaction to LeGrand's winning shot, you'd know that he cares a lot more about winning than his shooting percentage.

And if you watch that play you can see that after the pass AD slides in to screen a defender to give LaGrand a clean look.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:15 pm

i'm encouraged by what i am seeing...i really think tho, that next year will be our year. there are times when we have a freshman and four sophomores on the court.
titanmac
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Not exactly because Miller has played a huge role in the last two wins including feeding Brandon on Thursday
for a bunch of easy scores, and Miller is gone next year.
EarlTheTwirl
Sophmore

Postby titandave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Our ball control is definitely improving; in our last in the last two games, we had 31 assists and 20 turnovers (1.55 ratio).

I'm guessing Coach Davis expects something along the lines of the following:

Centers and Forwards: 1-to-1 (assist to turnover)
    Wing Forwards and Shooting Guards: 2-to-1
    Point Guards: 3-to-1

titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:51 pm

miller is gone. bo will be back. you don't know who the transfers will be. but another year playing together in coach's system is more important to the young men here than who might be available. i have always been a miller supporter and continue to be. i love watching him play. i am not of the view he is the heart and soul of the team or that he is irreplaceable. continuity for winning from year to year is never about one person, or two for that matter. its about developing the next men up. having said all that, sam hoffman is a big strong guy who will have a future in coach's scheme. i am now convinced coach can and will always get the most out of his players and develop plays to maximize their skill set. for the first time in a long time there seems to be hope for the immediate future of the program.
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:42 pm

ps. if vowels is smart he will have a list of viable candidates in his back pocket to replace davis should the need arise for any reason? just good management....
titanmac
Senior

Postby titandave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm

titanmac wrote:miller is gone. bo will be back. you don't know who the transfers will be. but another year playing together in coach's system is more important to the young men here than who might be available. i have always been a miller supporter and continue to be. i love watching him play. i am not of the view he is the heart and soul of the team or that he is irreplaceable. continuity for winning from year to year is never about one person, or two for that matter. its about developing the next men up. having said all that, sam hoffman is a big strong guy who will have a future in coach's scheme. i am now convinced coach can and will always get the most out of his players and develop plays to maximize their skill set. for the first time in a long time there seems to be hope for the immediate future of the program.

Bo definitely has the size and athleticism to be effective in the paint. That being said; he needs to continue to develop his technical skills and play consistently at a high level.
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:04 pm

agreed.
titanmac
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:39 pm

titanmac wrote:ps. if vowels is smart he will have a list of viable candidates in his back pocket to replace davis should the need arise for any reason? just good management....

I’m not sure how this ended up in this thread but I find this very remote. I don’t think Davis is in a position to
find another job right now and even if he left for whatever reason, I can’t see Vowels putting a “what if” list
of back-up candidates at this time. You look when something happens or when imminent but I don’t see that
happening right now.
EarlTheTwirl
Sophmore

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:15 pm

good managers are always looking, always talking, always thinking of the program, of the future. always have a strategy in place. there are dozens of reasons for davis to have to leave, only one of which includes finding a new job.its the difference between reacting to events or proactively asserting your agenda.
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 pm

Don't want Davis to leave, don't expect him to, don't see him getting another job until he proves himself at Detroit Mercy. But, as Mac says, any good manager always has a contingency.

Might that be anyone on the bench?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:50 pm

me either. seems to be the right guy for the job.
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball