Calihan Coney’s

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Calihan Coney’s

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:30 pm

Detroit Mercy recently entered into a partnership agreement with National Coney Island that will have the Michigan-based chain provide food at various University events. They catered a segment of today’s Titan Winter Blast pre-game event and will also have a presence at Homecoming in September. The company will be providing food in the Titan Club room prior to a couple basketball games this season. Not sure of all the specifics, but I believe the larger plan is for National Coney Island hot dogs to be available in the concession stands at Calihan Hall events in the near future.

National Coney Island has been in business since 1965 and currently owns and operates 20 restaurants in Southeastern Michigan. The corporate headquarters are located in Roseville, Michigan.

Perhaps not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I think this will be a mutually beneficial partnership and it will be nice to have an added bit of local flavor with Detroit-style Coney Island hot dogs available to fans when they come down to Calihan Hall for a game.

Another local connection at today’s Titan Winter Blast was liquid refreshment (craft beer) from the Eastern Market Brewing Company. Next month EMBC will be launching a new tap room on Livernois a couple miles north of campus called “The Ferndale Project.” I spoke with their brewmaster today while he was on campus and he seemed excited to be partnering with the University. The Ferndale Project will be occupying the same building that previously housed Axle Brewery’s Livernois Tap.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Calihan Coney’s

Postby titanmac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 am

.fun!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 am

Refreshing addition to the TC menu today were the coneys. I'm pleased to hear of this partnership, rogobob.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:07 am

I have been suggesting the coney thing for years, as have others. Great to see. How about this idea, bring back an on campus bar and make it a craft brewery on a college campus. EMB at U of D.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:29 pm

titanmike wrote:I have been suggesting the coney thing for years, as have others. Great to see. How about this idea, bring back an on campus bar and make it a craft brewery on a college campus. EMB at U of D.

Let's bind it in with the Chemistry program and make it an academic experience. Schoolcraft with their culinary arts has already lead the way on and it would be great to add that practical education to our superior programs.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Detroit Mercy recently entered into a partnership agreement with National Coney Island that will have the Michigan-based chain provide food at various University events. They catered a segment of today’s Titan Winter Blast pre-game event and will also have a presence at Homecoming in September. The company will be providing food in the Titan Club room prior to a couple basketball games this season. Not sure of all the specifics, but I believe the larger plan is for National Coney Island hot dogs to be available in the concession stands at Calihan Hall events in the near future.

National Coney Island has been in business since 1965 and currently owns and operates 20 restaurants in Southeastern Michigan. The corporate headquarters are located in Roseville, Michigan.

Perhaps not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I think this will be a mutually beneficial partnership and it will be nice to have an added bit of local flavor with Detroit-style Coney Island hot dogs available to fans when they come down to Calihan Hall for a game.

Another local connection at today’s Titan Winter Blast was liquid refreshment (craft beer) from the Eastern Market Brewing Company. Next month EMBC will be launching a new tap room on Livernois a couple miles north of campus called “The Ferndale Project.” I spoke with their brewmaster today while he was on campus and he seemed excited to be partnering with the University. The Ferndale Project will be occupying the same building that previously housed Axle Brewery’s Livernois Tap.

AMEN to National Coney. LONG OVERDUE AND SO GREATLY APPRECIATED. Excellent local relationship. I vaguely heard there was some kind of tie-in with their owner, founder or CFO - perhaps a grad?

Having EMBC was icing on the cake to a glorious day. Once they get their menu up for lunch and dinner this is going to make for some great post-game celebrations.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:33 am

Coneys were a great addition to the winter blast.

Had a few EMBC Elephant Juice NE IPAs, they when down as smooth as LeGrand's buzzer beater shot. Rogo, is it possible to feature the brewery in the Titan Club for a night?
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:12 am

Dick Vitale wrote:
titanmike wrote:I have been suggesting the coney thing for years, as have others. Great to see. How about this idea, bring back an on campus bar and make it a craft brewery on a college campus. EMB at U of D.

Let's bind it in with the Chemistry program and make it an academic experience. Schoolcraft with their culinary arts has already lead the way on and it would be great to add that practical education to our superior programs.

I agree, you could add a brewmaster program to the school.
titanmike
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:22 pm

titanmike wrote:
Dick Vitale wrote:

Hey TMike, would you go back to school for a second MBA?
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:34 pm

The-Dude wrote:
titanmike wrote:

Hey TMike, would you go back to school for a second MBA?

Master
Brewer
Administration
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 pm

UDDRUMMER wrote:Coneys were a great addition to the winter blast.

Had a few EMBC Elephant Juice NE IPAs, they when down as smooth as LeGrand's buzzer beater shot. Rogo, is it possible to feature the brewery in the Titan Club for a night?

I'm sure that can be explored. They do have an offering on their current beer menu called "Homecourt." It's described as "with over 4 lbs/barrel of hops of MI Chinook, NZ Moutere, AU Vic Secret, and US Cashmere, this NEDIPA packs notes of crystallized orange peel, ruby red grapefruit, and creamy rose boba tea." Homecourt Stats: 7.7% alcohol by volume; 60 IBU. Maybe once the new place on Livernois opens up, we can lobby for them to name an amber beer "Titan Red" as a nod to our fan base.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Dude

hmm, maybe, then again I might just skip class and go get beer at the brewery...…...
titanmike
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball