Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby UDDRUMMER » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Here is the link to Tony Paul's article for tomorrow night's game against Oakland. Good read, seems a bit off on the APR ban.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 615193002/
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Overall, not a bad article. Positive, upbeat, totally from the Detroit Mercy perspective -- not a single quote from Kampe in the article. And any time I read something as cheerful as "At 2-7 in the league, Oakland is tied for last place" a smile crosses my face.

I hadn't heard before that Coach was going to red-shirt Brandon and Moore, but I guess losing Curry (who was ahead of Brandon in the rotation) and Hamrick (ahead of Moore) he had no options.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:42 pm

NC Titan wrote:Overall, not a bad article. Positive, upbeat, totally from the Detroit Mercy perspective -- not a single quote from Kampe in the article. And any time I read something as cheerful as "At 2-7 in the league, Oakland is tied for last place" a smile crosses my face.

I hadn't heard before that Coach was going to red-shirt Brandon and Moore, but I guess losing Curry (who was ahead of Brandon in the rotation) and Hamrick (ahead of Moore) he had no options.

With the graduate transfer rule now in place and widely utilized, not sure it makes sense to redshirt anyone outside of a major project player. If a recruit develops in the first four years with a mid-major school (including one sitting out), he’s often off to some higher-level program in year-five. No need to be a farm club for other programs.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3484
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Overall, not a bad article. Positive, upbeat, totally from the Detroit Mercy perspective -- not a single quote from Kampe in the article. And any time I read something as cheerful as "At 2-7 in the league, Oakland is tied for last place" a smile crosses my face.

I hadn't heard before that Coach was going to red-shirt Brandon and Moore, but I guess losing Curry (who was ahead of Brandon in the rotation) and Hamrick (ahead of Moore) he had no options.

With the graduate transfer rule now in place and widely utilized, not sure it makes sense to redshirt anyone outside of a major project player. If a recruit develops in the first four years with a mid-major school (including one sitting out), he’s often off to some higher-level program in year-five. No need to be a farm club for other programs.


I suspect that part of the red-shirt plan was so that we don't have so many players graduate all at once. Right now we often have four sophs and a freshman on the floor, and that spells trouble if all the sophs graduate together. Spreading the graduation is a bit of risk management.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Overall, not a bad article. Positive, upbeat, totally from the Detroit Mercy perspective -- not a single quote from Kampe in the article. And any time I read something as cheerful as "At 2-7 in the league, Oakland is tied for last place" a smile crosses my face.

I hadn't heard before that Coach was going to red-shirt Brandon and Moore, but I guess losing Curry (who was ahead of Brandon in the rotation) and Hamrick (ahead of Moore) he had no options.

With the graduate transfer rule now in place and widely utilized, not sure it makes sense to redshirt anyone outside of a major project player. If a recruit develops in the first four years with a mid-major school (including one sitting out), he’s often off to some higher-level program in year-five. No need to be a farm club for other programs.


I suspect that part of the red-shirt plan was so that we don't have so many players graduate all at once. Right now we often have four sophs and a freshman on the floor, and that spells trouble if all the sophs graduate together. Spreading the graduation is a bit of risk management.

We have six sophomores on this year’s roster. It could get even more unbalanced if we add a couple of JC big men for next year's team, perhaps more than half the squad would then be juniors. But players come and go unexpectedly, and my guess it will all sort out in the direction of roster balance in a couple of recruiting cycles.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3484
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby udballer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:25 pm

This should not be an issue if the Coach can recruit the way we think he can. Sophomores graduate and you should have a senior (4-year starter type) and multiple good players as freshmen and sophomores. Plus, nothing says we can't continue to bring in transfers and grad transfers. If the recruiting is good, that should be more than enough to win the Horizon League.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby dennycrane » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 am

There's scant evidence of it thus far, baller. People said AD would draw other talent. Hasn't worked out that way after one recruiting cycle.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Tony Paul Article UD/OU

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:21 am

I don't disagree, Denny. However, when I was worried about the recruiting I was notified that the APR ban kept the big names away. As the ban is either already lifted or should end following this season, I'm awaiting a big recruiting haul.

We will have to see how it shakes out. :D
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm


Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests