Titans vs. Milwaukee (February 22)

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Titans vs. Milwaukee (February 22)

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Thought I would start a thread for Sunday’s home game versus Milwaukee. Here’s the preview from DetroitTitans.com:

https://detroittitans.com/news/2020/2/2 ... unday.aspx

It’s Senior Day, but just one Titan in that category, Justin Miller. He was on concussion protocol Friday, hope he is cleared to play tomorrow.

Only one week left in the regular season. Who knows, perhaps Detroit Mercy fans will soon hear something definitive about the Titans’ status to participate in the 2020 conference tournament.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Titans vs. Milwaukee (February 22)

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Down 17 at one point, Titans now trail 52-51.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Titans vs. Milwaukee (February 22j

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Titans up 60-54 on a Davis three, he now has 20.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Titans vs. Milwaukee (February 22j

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Titans win 79-73. After being down 17 in the first half, led by as many as 14 in the second half, a 31 point swing.

Nice effort by Bo, 11 rebounds.

Calipari hit some big threes when the momentum changed.

Two big free throws by Gorman to seal the deal.

Moore had 18 and ran the point at times.

Nice effort by Davis, 27 points.

Miller out due to concussion, not in uniform for Senior Day.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titandave » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Nice 'come from behind' victory today. :D

Overall, we did a decent job shooting the basketball and we won battle on the boards by a sizable margin. Although we miss Miller in the line-up it was nice to see Boe back in action; in 22 minutes he had 11 rebounds.

As I mentioned in a previous post .... I believe the six sophomores on the roster represent a good foundation for the future.
titandave
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:44 pm

I agree TitanDave. We need a few more recruits but I believe next year can be the year this year should have been. I’m sure that the suspension didn’t help.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby Titan JJ » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Great come from behind victory. Coach said we can get 6 new recruits next year after we are off suspension.
Titan JJ
Junior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Rogobob77
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:46 am

Like everyone, I am always happy to see a W.

However, after seeing Antoine's 6 turnovers, I checked NCAA stats on teamrankings.com. He has the 4th most turnovers in Div I. There is a good chance that he will have over 130 turnovers in one season. Will that be a Titans record? I sure don't remember anyone turning the ball over almost 4.5 times per game in the past.

Although I was only able to see the Notre Dame game in person this year, Watching our games ESPN+ hasn't left me with the same optimism that I keep reading about on the forum.

There are only 10 teams in DI basketball that shoot the ball worse than we do and 342 that shoot it better.

Our defense isn't much better. We rank in the 6 percentile in defensive efficiency. (94% of the teams are better than we are.) That is mostly against the Horizon League that everyone keeps trashing. We are better than IUPUI, however.

Thank god for our free throw shooting! We actually have a chance to be the best in DI at that. I am sad that for all of the years that I anguished over our teams missing free throw shots at the end of games, now when we can make them, we rarely need them in the clutch. (Today excepted)

I think we will need all 7 of those additions Coach is talking about to be spot on to be in the top third of the Horizon next year. The odds of 7 very good picks is pretty small.

I don't know what to say about our team. All I know is that having a virtually one dimensional offense and a totally ineffective defense is not the recipe for success. It really doesn't matter what name we use to identify the school when the Men's and Women's teams have a combined 10 wins with only one week left in the season. I would think that our energy should not be focused on why we belong in a better league. It should be solely focused on getting better at Basketball.

I haven't posted much this year, so this will be my last contribution until next Fall. I will have a rejuvenated outlook by then.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:30 am

StJoeUofD wrote:Like everyone, I am always happy to see a W.

However, after seeing Antoine's 6 turnovers, I checked NCAA stats on teamrankings.com. He has the 4th most turnovers in Div I. There is a good chance that he will have over 130 turnovers in one season. Will that be a Titans record? I sure don't remember anyone turning the ball over almost 4.5 times per game in the past.

Although I was only able to see the Notre Dame game in person this year, Watching our games ESPN+ hasn't left me with the same optimism that I keep reading about on the forum.

There are only 10 teams in DI basketball that shoot the ball worse than we do and 342 that shoot it better.

Our defense isn't much better. We rank in the 6 percentile in defensive efficiency. (94% of the teams are better than we are.) That is mostly against the Horizon League that everyone keeps trashing. We are better than IUPUI, however.

Thank god for our free throw shooting! We actually have a chance to be the best in DI at that. I am sad that for all of the years that I anguished over our teams missing free throw shots at the end of games, now when we can make them, we rarely need them in the clutch. (Today excepted)

I think we will need all 7 of those additions Coach is talking about to be spot on to be in the top third of the Horizon next year. The odds of 7 very good picks is pretty small.

I don't know what to say about our team. All I know is that having a virtually one dimensional offense and a totally ineffective defense is not the recipe for success. It really doesn't matter what name we use to identify the school when the Men's and Women's teams have a combined 10 wins with only one week left in the season. I would think that our energy should not be focused on why we belong in a better league. It should be solely focused on getting better at Basketball.

I haven't posted much this year, so this will be my last contribution until next Fall. I will have a rejuvenated outlook by then.

Excellent post and thank you for sharing @StJoeUofD. perfectly sums up how I feel.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:04 am

+1 dave. i agree completely. this is a very young team of freshmen and sophomores. the upper classmen provide some stability but the team as a whole is overmatched in experience. only miller plays with poise day in and day out. yet there are flashes of good things to come.... wait'll next year!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 am

titanmac wrote:+1 dave. i agree completely. this is a very young team of freshmen and sophomores. the upper classmen provide some stability but the team as a whole is overmatched in experience. only miller plays with poise day in and day out. yet there are flashes of good things to come.... wait'll next year!

What am I missing here, Miller plays with poise day in and day out? Help me understand.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 am

Does any one have the post game audio of coach Davis?
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Does any one have the post game audio of coach Davis?

https://detroittitans.com/documents/2020/2/23//910_am_postgame_Milwaukee.mp3
HSScout1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:41 am

Go to the school athletic website https://detroittitans.com/ and cycle to the game story. It's right there as AUDIO: 910 POSTGAME. It's the same place after every game.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:10 pm

NC Titan wrote:

Go to the school athletic website https://detroittitans.com/ and cycle to the game story. It's right there as AUDIO: 910 POSTGAME. It's the same place after every game.

Thank you.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:25 pm

don't know what games your watchin mike. he's a handful against most every big in the league. has a soft touch. boards and moves his feet exceedingly well for his size. he knows what to do with the ball when he gets it. he does more than most with the tools he has. all of that adds up to poise. is he the most talented guy in the league? of course not. probably not even close to the most talented guy on the team. but his game outshines everyone else on the team in terms of---dare i say it?---poise.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:38 pm

He's a good power forward. Unfortunate that he has been playing center. He's performed admirably, but he is playing out of position. And having met him a few times, I can say he definitely is a very nice guy.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 am

NC Titan wrote:He's a good power forward. Unfortunate that he has been playing center. He's performed admirably, but he is playing out of position. And having met him a few times, I can say he definitely is a very nice guy.

He is a good basketball player. This is the type of guy I want playing for my school. Miller and Miller Lite might be served in the Titan Club but Miller Time was on the court.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am

titanmac wrote:don't know what games your watchin mike. he's a handful against most every big in the league. has a soft touch. boards and moves his feet exceedingly well for his size. he knows what to do with the ball when he gets it. he does more than most with the tools he has. all of that adds up to poise. is he the most talented guy in the league? of course not. probably not even close to the most talented guy on the team. but his game outshines everyone else on the team in terms of---dare i say it?---poise.

Funny I was going to ask you what games you have been watching, I chose a higher road, anyway....My comments are not meant to suggest that he has not been a decent addition. Just don't know if poise is the word.
titanmike
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball