Thank You Mr. Vowels

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Thank You Mr. Vowels

Postby The-Dude » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:26 am

I just wanna say THANK YOUs to our AD Mr. Vowels for turning our basketball program around, heading the wrong way. I was especially captivated by the romantic story of how Coach Davis was acquired, that there was a courting process for several months. We can speculate to how this last minute hire really went down. Vowells had the task of elevating our basketball program into the limelight and out of the shadows of our fencing program. Instead, this happened.

I have spent some time chilling in my porch chair, with my Samsung device, some fried pickles, cheese straws, and cheerwine Tryin for real hard to figure out how to get us out of this mess. It ain’t easy but I gotta a plan. It’s a real plan with digits and numbers and a couple of pink slips. You’all want my money but no can do no more cause I got to see results. It’s a damn cryin shame.
The-Dude
Senior

Re: Thank You Mr. Vowels

Postby cedar1973 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:39 pm

When I was UD the fencing team won an NCAA championship. Mr. Vowels what have you done.
It is time for you to leave before you drag us further down the hole of no return.
Again thanks for all you have done to destroy a great program
cedar1973
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:25 am

Actually, Cedar, we've had 4 ineffective athletic directors spanning the past 4 decades. One of those was even scandalous, as you're probably aware. Detroit lowered it's expectations in MBB twice, in 1981 and again in '94. The second of those two decisions was what killed our program, deciding to compete with the public Mid Con refugees instead of keeping pace with our traditional Catholic rivals who all wanted better for themselves. Look at Dayton today, 26-2 and in line to win the A-10 and get a very high seed. Look at Duquesne today, 18-9 in a good league, their second good year in a row. Loyola has appeared in the Final Four after leaving the HL. Xavier?, Butler?
Need I go on?

Over the years, other bad publics have gravitated to the Horizon and each time, U of D didn't care. We put up with it. Now, it's come to what it's come to. The "hole of no return"? That's about right.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:20 pm

sigh. wish i could disagree. although i thought "that woman" had it together....at least until she didn't? shot herself in the foot...
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 pm

titanmac wrote:sigh. wish i could disagree. although i thought "that woman" had it together....at least until she didn't? shot herself in the foot...

Had it together or inherited something she could coast with? Vowels inherited a mess and had to make moves and set this ship in the right direction. He's not perfect but he's an easy target for critics as are most AD's.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Dick Vitale wrote:
titanmac wrote:sigh. wish i could disagree. although i thought "that woman" had it together....at least until she didn't? shot herself in the foot...

Had it together or inherited something she could coast with? Vowels inherited a mess and had to make moves and set this ship in the right direction. He's not perfect but he's an easy target for critics as are most AD's.

You are wrong on everything you state here. My favorite line is “He’s not perfect...”. You think??

Earlier post by Denny offers an interesting perspective...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:18 am

We continue to fail to recruit the Land of Fire and Ice.
The Founder of the infamous JACK a** AWARD. Be respectful and polite or you could be next!
Thelurker
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:19 am

The men's BB team's overall record for the past 41 years is 576-663 for a .464 winning percentage.

When you exclude Perry Watson's 15 year tenure from this record, the combined records of the other 7 coaches is 315-465 for a .404 winning percentage.

We were just as bad on the court in the 1980s with only one winning season in that decade and Vowels was not the AD back then.

To me, this suggests that the major reason for this poor on-court performance is not the identity of the current AD. Thus, I tend to start with dennycrane's analysis, but then ask why were we unable to move out the HL? The main answer, IMO, is facilities; and, the AD is not in charge of facility named Calihan Hall. If you let your infrastructure rot due to lack of capital and other schools like those mentioned by dennycrane invest capital in their facilities, their ascendancy and our decline become easily understandable.

On HGTV, they would do a total gut job on the interior of our mid-century modern classic arena called Calihan Hall. At the very least, we should upgrade our sports medicine, weight room, nutrition, and other facilties so we can attract better players.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:35 am

ptctitan wrote:The men's BB team's overall record for the past 41 years is 576-663 for a .464 winning percentage.

When you exclude Perry Watson's 15 year tenure from this record, the combined records of the other 7 coaches is 315-465 for a .404 winning percentage.

We were just as bad on the court in the 1980s with only one winning season in that decade and Vowels was not the AD back then.

To me, this suggests that the major reason for this poor on-court performance is not the identity of the current AD. Thus, I tend to start with dennycrane's analysis, but then ask why were we unable to move out the HL? The main answer, IMO, is facilities; and, the AD is not in charge of facility named Calihan Hall. If you let your infrastructure rot due to lack of capital and other schools like those mentioned by dennycrane invest capital in their facilities, their ascendancy and our decline become easily understandable.

On HGTV, they would do a total gut job on the interior of our mid-century modern classic arena called Calihan Hall. At the very least, we should upgrade our sports medicine, weight room, nutrition, and other facilties so we can attract better players.

I applaud Robert and the leadership for bringing in Coach Davis. I agree facilities are an issue, but have great facilities been a help to a team like Oakland? Not in basketball that's for sure, but compare the overall records between the era's in all sports. Incidentally in the 80's many were calling for the AD's head and then he managed to hit it big in the early 90's with Perry. The handling of the hire of Coach Davis was not very transparent and nor has the APR issue. In particular with the APR issue, questions need to be asked and questions need to be answered. Fans and Donors do deserve some answers. The impact to the future of the program is at stake in my opinion. Loss of donor money etc.

Clear , concise updates over the last several months would of been appropriate in areas that could be commented on and when not able to comment a clear and concise reason should have been offered.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:15 am

The-Dude wrote:
Dick Vitale wrote:

You are wrong on everything you state here. My favorite line is “He’s not perfect...”. You think??

How is he wrong on everything he stated The-Dude??
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:35 am

+1 Titan Mike
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:39 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:
The-Dude wrote:
Dick Vitale wrote:ad it together or inherited something she could coast with? Vowels inherited a mess and had to make moves and set this ship in the right direction. He's not perfect but he's an easy target for critics as are most AD's.

How is he wrong on everything he stated The-Dude??

He was just being weird...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:04 pm

The-Dude wrote:

Ok.
The-Dude what do you think of the OU possible having APR problems in the next couple of years and their AD and coach?
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:34 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
The-Dude wrote:

Ok.
The-Dude what do you think of the OU possible having APR problems in the next couple of years and their AD and coach?

On several previous posts, you mention how much success OU has had compared to us. Now you’re dragging them down to our level? Unlike you, Let the record show that I’ve been consistent on OU. Get it together Dude...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:36 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
The-Dude wrote:

Ok.

Nice deflection technique trying to derail this thread. The issue here is not OU. It’s that our AD should consider resigning.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 pm

The-Dude wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:
The-Dude wrote:

Ok.

Nice deflection technique trying to derail this thread. The issue here is not OU. It’s that our AD should consider resigning.

Interesting comment The-Dude you kind of sound like nososmart
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Junior Detroit Titan, you’ll be much happier with a new AD and a new direction for this program. Do you support a change?
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:36 pm

titanmike wrote:I applaud Robert and the leadership for bringing in Coach Davis. I agree facilities are an issue, but have great facilities been a help to a team like Oakland? Not in basketball that's for sure, but compare the overall records between the era's in all sports. Incidentally in the 80's many were calling for the AD's head and then he managed to hit it big in the early 90's with Perry. The handling of the hire of Coach Davis was not very transparent and nor has the APR issue. In particular with the APR issue, questions need to be asked and questions need to be answered. Fans and Donors do deserve some answers. The impact to the future of the program is at stake in my opinion. Loss of donor money etc.

Clear , concise updates over the last several months would of been appropriate in areas that could be commented on and when not able to comment a clear and concise reason should have been offered.

Oakland does not have great facilities. It does have newer facilities, a newer campus, 20,000 undergrads enrolled, and about 7,000 students living on and near its campus. Its O'rena is 22 years old. That was Calihan Hall in 1976.

IMO, our facilities are so old that a great coach alone is no longer enough to attract better talent to play here. We are long past the time when we can duplicate the Perry Watson miracle here. The PSL has changed significantly. Top HS talent often leaves Michigan altogether to play for academies.

I agree that we need better communication from the university - including AD Vowels. But a 40-year losing record indicates a more systemic problem than just a tight-lipped AD. I want to win and solve the issues that are preventing us from winning. The tight lipped AD has hired a good coach and a good staff. They believe that they can recruit more players of higher talent levels here if certain improvements are made. Let's make those improvements. Our non-communicative AD is not a barrier to making these improvements.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 pm

The-Dude wrote:Junior Detroit Titan, you’ll be much happier with a new AD and a new direction for this program. Do you support a change?

OU are so funny with your childish insults. I love the hire of Davis and the University putting effort in on updating the facilities. So why would I want to change direction.

Also I am done talking to childish OU fan boys
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:51 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
The-Dude wrote:Junior Detroit Titan, you’ll be much happier with a new AD and a new direction for this program. Do you support a change?

OU are so funny with your childish insults. I love the hire of Davis and the University putting effort in on updating the facilities. So why would I want to change direction.

Also I am done talking to childish OU fan boys

My apology if I insulted you and I’m happy to take any criticism. You’re missing the point. This thread is not about facilities or Coach Davis, it’s about our AD.

Btw, you’re so opposed with OU that your Auto Correct automatically kicks in with the typos :D !!
The-Dude
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball