Thank You Mr. Vowels

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Thank You Mr. Vowels

Postby Thelurker » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:06 pm

I nominate JDetroitTitan and the Dude for Co-JackAss awards. JDetroitTitan for his infatuation with OU and TheDude for being very UnDude. Grow up and enjoy your awards. Btw, Vowels needs to go.
The Founder of the infamous JACK a** AWARD. Be respectful and polite or you could be next!
Thelurker
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm

ptctitan wrote:The tight lipped AD has hired a good coach and a good staff. They believe that they can recruit more players of higher talent levels here if certain improvements are made.

Wait a minute. I was promised top level recruits were being brought in by this staff. I was told the only impediments were a late start and an APR ban. Now I'm hearing that better recruiting is contingent on facility improvements? Looks like it'll be quite a while before we can grade Coach on his recruiting hauls. And, when that time finally comes, we won't be able to compare those classes against past coaches because the landscape of facilities would be completely changed.

Oh well, I hope the facility improvements are in place by next month because we need players. If Coach Ray could bring in talent, Coach Davis should absolutely be able to perform similarly.
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:41 pm

udballer wrote: If Coach Ray could bring in talent, Coach Davis should absolutely be able to perform similarly.

+1 since the ban has been lifted
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm

Coach Davis is bringing in student athletes, not just athletes. Ones who go to class.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pm

ptctitan wrote:
titanmike wrote:I applaud Robert and the leadership for bringing in Coach Davis. I agree facilities are an issue, but have great facilities been a help to a team like Oakland? Not in basketball that's for sure, but compare the overall records between the era's in all sports. Incidentally in the 80's many were calling for the AD's head and then he managed to hit it big in the early 90's with Perry. The handling of the hire of Coach Davis was not very transparent and nor has the APR issue. In particular with the APR issue, questions need to be asked and questions need to be answered. Fans and Donors do deserve some answers. The impact to the future of the program is at stake in my opinion. Loss of donor money etc.

Clear , concise updates over the last several months would of been appropriate in areas that could be commented on and when not able to comment a clear and concise reason should have been offered.

Oakland does not have great facilities. It does have newer facilities, a newer campus, 20,000 undergrads enrolled, and about 7,000 students living on and near its campus. Its O'rena is 22 years old. That was Calihan Hall in 1976.

IMO, our facilities are so old that a great coach alone is no longer enough to attract better talent to play here. We are long past the time when we can duplicate the Perry Watson miracle here. The PSL has changed significantly. Top HS talent often leaves Michigan altogether to play for academies.

I agree that we need better communication from the university - including AD Vowels. But a 40-year losing record indicates a more systemic problem than just a tight-lipped AD. I want to win and solve the issues that are preventing us from winning. The tight lipped AD has hired a good coach and a good staff. They believe that they can recruit more players of higher talent levels here if certain improvements are made. Let's make those improvements. Our non-communicative AD is not a barrier to making these improvements.

If the barrier to making improvements for some is lack of transparency then I would argue yes it is. If donor money dries up as a result than I very much see that as a hinderance. The improvements you are talking about would definitely help, but I don't think we can simply say make the improvements we win, any more than we can say if we don't we can't win.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 pm

NC Titan wrote:Coach Davis is bringing in student athletes, not just athletes. Ones who go to class.

On this we can agree, and congratulations in advance on the Spirit Award.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Just curious, how much would it cost to renovate Calihan and the other campus facilities to the quality they were in back in 2011-2013 when coach Ray McCallum took the team to the NCAA Tournament and the NIT?
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Just curious, how much would it cost to renovate Calihan and the other campus facilities to the quality they were in back in 2011-2013 when coach Ray McCallum took the team to the NCAA Tournament and the NIT?

I like the point. The only thing I feel you could argue with it is that when Ray was here the HL ranking was between 11 to 14 for most of his career and started to down turn from 14 to 18 by the time Ray left. In the last couple of years the HL ranking is between 22 and 26. The HL will reach its 2025 goal to be the doormat of division 1 NCAA basketball.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:59 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Just curious, how much would it cost to renovate Calihan and the other campus facilities to the quality they were in back in 2011-2013 when coach Ray McCallum took the team to the NCAA Tournament and the NIT?

I like the point. The only thing I feel you could argue with it is that when Ray was here the HL rating was between 11 to 14 for most of his career and started to down turn from 14 to 18 by the time Ray left.

What would the result of the decline mean? That it’s harder to get good athletes to come to a school in a crap league? I guess, but one could just as easily argue that the decline in the league should make it easier to win games or at the very least avoid single digit win seasons. Like baller mentioned above, the narrative has been that the late start and apr ban held us back. Now, all of a sudden, we need to renovate Calihan and make it look like the Staples Center or we won’t be able to get guys good enough to beat teams like Ft. Wayne? Ray also had a Calihan Hall in ruins, but he made it work. DePaul has a brand new beautiful arena but I think my rec league team could take them on. They’re so bad that their players can’t leave fast enough. Hell, one is so desperate he might come play for us in the Calihan ruins.

My impression is that we have an AD that just isn’t cut out for the job. And, I get the sense that our university President is too close to him personally to make the tough decision to let him go. Unless the trustees really put the heat on Garibaldi then Vowels might run us into D2 territory.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:52 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:

I like the point. The only thing I feel you could argue with it is that when Ray was here the HL ranking was between 11 to 14 for most of his career and started to down turn from 14 to 18 by the time Ray left. In the last couple of years the HL ranking is between 22 and 26. The HL will reach its 2025 goal to be the doormat of division 1 NCAA basketball.

That's what 30 years of John LeCrone will get you.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:12 pm

titanmike wrote:If the barrier to making improvements for some is lack of transparency then I would argue yes it is. If donor money dries up as a result than I very much see that as a hinderance. The improvements you are talking about would definitely help, but I don't think we can simply say make the improvements we win, any more than we can say if we don't we can't win.

The improvements alone would not guarantee that we win; but they would increase the chances that all sports could win more recruiting battles for better student athletes. In all sports, that would increase the chances that we would win more often. If we don't make the improvements, maybe we could have good teams every 4-5 years, but that's about it. I agree on more transparency.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:59 am

Tacitus651 wrote:...My impression is that we have an AD that just isn’t cut out for the job. And, I get the sense that our university President is too close to him personally to make the tough decision to let him go. Unless the trustees really put the heat on Garibaldi then Vowels might run us into D2 territory.

This is the best stated perspective on our reality.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 pm

ptctitan wrote:The improvements alone would not guarantee that we win; but they would increase the chances that all sports could win more recruiting battles for better student athletes. In all sports, that would increase the chances that we would win more often. If we don't make the improvements, maybe we could have good teams every 4-5 years, but that's about it. I agree on more transparency.

+1

There is no single answer. Improving the facilities alone will not guarantee a better team, but it'll help.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball