2020 AP All America players

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2020 AP All America players

Postby NC Titan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:34 am

AP All America selections:

Obi Toppin, SO, PF, Dayton (unanimous)
Myles Powell, SR, G, Seton Hall
Markus Howard, SR, G, Marquette
Luke Garza, JR, PF, Iowa
Payton Prichard, SR, G, Oregon

Three players from Catholic Universities, only two from large state schools. No one from the traditional powers (Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc.). Three seniors.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Re: 2020 AP All America players

Postby The-Dude » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks NC.

Corey Allen was named to the second team while averaging 28.9 PPG and leading the Ray McCallum coached 2019-2020 University of Detroit Titans to their third straight 20-Win season. Titans Athletic Director Chris Czarnik was quoted as saying “We are proud of Corey as we welcome him into the UD All-American Club”.

What could have been...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Especially happy that Obi Toppin did so well in his career at Dayton, NCT. For me, however, 2 of these guys are anonymous, and that's saying something because I do follow MBB very closely. I think it was a very good year for some of the Catholic teams, a so so year for many of the Power 5 teams and that rare losing season for the Tar Heels. Fifteen to twenty years ago, the Heels had a temporary coach, Bill Galbreath, I believe, and had an off year then too. Otherwise, it almost never happens.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Markus Howard led the nation in scoring this year.

All three Catholic teams made the Pope's Poll Hoops Heaven Saintly Sixteen.

As far as UNC, after Dean Smith retired at the end of the '90s Matt Doherty took over, had horrible years. He got canned and Bill Guthridge, who had been Smith's assistant forever coached for three years until Roy Williams came from Kansas. Guthridge's teams went to three NCAAs, twice to the Final Four, and he had a 74% winning percentage. (Dick Vitale was 73% at Detroit.)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:20 pm

I acknowledge the mistake, NCT. Guthridge had a stellar 3 years at the UNC helm. Most likely, I confused this with Duke's situation in '94-'95 when Coach K had serious back trouble, I believe it was, and was forced off the bench for most of the season. His program went 13-18 that year. It's rare for either of these 2 of basketball's 5 blue bloods to suffer a losing season. Roy Williams was quite candid about it though in midseason this year, saying his current Tar Heels were just not very talented. They missed Cole Anthony for an extended period however.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 pm

I was amazed at that comment by Williams. He regularly recruits McDonalds All-Americas, boatloads of five-star players, and then his team nosedives when one player is hurt. What does that say about all those great recruiting classes?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Exactly. I recall an okay Ohio State team pounding them mercilessly at home when Anthony was available, so it was a very odd year at UNC. In fact, it really didn't make any sense at all.
udballer
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball