Marquell Fraser commit

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Marquell Fraser commit

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Detroit coach Mike Davis has landed Idaho grad transfer Marquell Fraser.

Some details

Grad transfer from Idaho, Marquell Fraser is a 6'3" sg originally from Hamilton, Ontario. He also played at Idaho in 2018-19, but was injured after a few games and redshirted. Before that, he played at Midland College, and before that, VCU.

He averaged 7.1 points and 3.9 rebounds per game last season

https://govandals.com/sports/mens-baske ... raser/5002

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ser-1.html
HSScout1
Senior

Re: Marquell Fraser commit

Postby Notsosmart » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:55 pm

I got excited until I went to their web page.

He's a backup guard that shot 11% from the 3 and 63 from the free show line on a team that went 8-24, 4-16 in the Big Sky Only played 19 minutes a game. I'm really hoping he is a great defender. Why else would we bring in another 6-3 kid
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 pm

One of his bios says he was the #2 overall recruit in Canada the year he graduated (another source ranked him #3 in Ontario). According to one recruiting site I found, he was offered by VCU, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Iowa and James Madison. His height was also listed as 6-5 back then, must have been in Canadian inches. Out of high school he was designated a 3-star recruit and classified as a point guard.

Played at VCU his first year of college ball, minor minutes.

Nice stats as a sophomore at Midland College, a JC in Charlotte, NC. Led the team at 17.1 points per game, earning first team all-conference honors; led the team with 6.8 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game; shot 57.3 percent from the floor on the year.

On paper, kind of seems like what we thought we were getting with Maxwell this past season before all his injury issues.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Any transfer from a league above the HL is a plus. St. Perry had his success when Derrick Hayes and Dez Ferguson came aboard. IMO he could be a pleasant surprise. He's had a FG % of 43 . Coach will fix his FT approach
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm

More background stuff, this from when Fraser signed with VCU in the early period. Note there is a bit of a Houston connection:

“Fraser is a 6’5″, 195 pound, hard-nosed, combo guard who prides himself on tough defense and his play-making ability with great size and ball skills. He played at Mountain Mission School in Grundy, VA and Southwest Christian Academy in Houston, TX before deciding to go back home for his senior season in Canada. He was one of the more under the radar guards on the AAU circuit this summer despite playing at a very high level for UPLAY Canada AAU under Coach Dwayne Washington. He helped lead his team to the 17U Silver Bracket Championship at the 2015 Adidas Championships in Las Vegas, NV this past July. Fraser is also heavily involved in Canada’s Junior National Men’s Basketball program under Coach Roy Rana. Over the course of the recruiting process Fraser had major interest from Georgia Tech, Memphis, Iowa, DePaul, Bradley, Minnesota, James Madison, UNLV, Xavier, Utah, Toledo, Middle Tennesee, Northern Arizona, Oregon State, Indiana State, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, USC, California, Miami, and Northwestern among others. Fraser officially visited Bradley and James Madison.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 am

Marquell gonna bowl over those Horizon guards like Lebron James!
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:48 pm

According to a source in the Program: Fraser "can handle the ball and he's really really tough." We can use some toughness on and off the court. And plans are for some serious height (x2) plus a PG to come along with several more players this recruiting period. Fraser is considered a combo guard.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 pm

1975SHjoe wrote:Any transfer from a league above the HL is a plus. St. Perry had his success when Derrick Hayes and Dez Ferguson came aboard. IMO he could be a pleasant surprise. He's had a FG % of 43 . Coach will fix his FT approach

I don't think the Big Sky is above the Horizon (well, OK, technically the sky is above the horizon, but not in terms of conferences).
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Notsosmart wrote:I got excited until I went to their web page.

He's a backup guard that shot 11% from the 3 and 63 from the free show line on a team that went 8-24, 4-16 in the Big Sky Only played 19 minutes a game. I'm really hoping he is a great defender. Why else would we bring in another 6-3 kid

His rep is as a defender and ball handler. I don't mind that he's not a three point shooter--we've got those. We needed a big guard who can play "d" and handle the ball, and he seems to fit that bill. In 2019, before being injured after the 8th game of the year, he was averaging 9.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.1 assists. He's not a particularly good free throw shooter (66% last year) but he gets to the line with some frequency. I think he can help us.

We still need a big.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Commissioner wrote:
1975SHjoe wrote:Any transfer from a league above the HL is a plus. St. Perry had his success when Derrick Hayes and Dez Ferguson came aboard. IMO he could be a pleasant surprise. He's had a FG % of 43 . Coach will fix his FT approach

I don't think the Big Sky is above the Horizon (well, OK, technically the sky is above the horizon, but not in terms of conferences).

I was thinking the same but you beat me to it. I'm happy we got Fraser and I think he'll do well in his year with the Titans, but I'd not compare the Big Sky to anything Perry got with Des or Derrick. Mizzou and Iowa State are P5 schools, and Derrick was averaging 8-10 per game at Iowa State as a frosh. Perry pulled in a couple studs.
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:06 am

udballer wrote:
Commissioner wrote:

I was thinking the same but you beat me to it. I'm happy we got Fraser and I think he'll do well in his year with the Titans, but I'd not compare the Big Sky to anything Perry got with Des or Derrick. Mizzou and Iowa State are P5 schools, and Derrick was averaging 8-10 per game at Iowa State as a frosh. Perry pulled in a couple studs.

I hate to break it to everyone but I looked up are rpi conference ranking and Big Sky 18 and the HL is 23 . Also Summit League is rank 22. Yes they have passed us up.

Since 2018 are conference ranking has dropped from being in the top two thirds (close to the half or better for longer than two decades) to the bottom third of conferences this is a big part of why we lose the recruiting battle. You can defiantly see a trend of quality players for recruiting to conference ranking through the years.That is why this is a big win for us.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball