Clutch Players

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Clutch Players

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:26 am

A recent discussion on a local radio station had me thinking. Who do you think have been the greatest Titan clutch players and why?
titanmike
Senior

Re: Clutch Players

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Going back a while, Dennis Boyd from the Vitale era. I recall many heroic moments at clutch time for the point guard, including buzzer beater shots that toppled top-ten ranked Arizona and Marquette.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Going back a while, Dennis Boyd from the Vitale era. I recall many heroic moments at clutch time for the point guard, including buzzer beater shots that toppled top-ten ranked Arizona and Marquette.

Rogo beat me to it. Boyd hit the game winning shot three times during the 21-game winning streak in 1977, including against #8 Arizona and #6 Marquette. He was the steady hand in many others.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:52 pm

I love the performance of Derrick Hayes against St. Johms in the NCAA tourney. Plenty of pressure to perform and he did not fold. Who can forget the 2 points Danny Whye scored against UCLA in the NCAA Tourney with almost no shot clock remaining. Those teams of of 1998 and 1999 provided great memories. EJ Harrelson scoring only 2 against Michigan State at Cobo but the winning points in OT. The NIT team of Willie Green and Phillips winning 5 on the road to to to MSG for the NIT in 2001. Players performing under great pressure and providing their fans and team mates that shinning moment. PRICELESS!!
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 pm

I didn't see it, but certainly one of the biggest shots in Titan history was Tom Villemure's corner jumper to beat the buzzer and #4 Indiana, 81-79, in overtime in December, 1960.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 pm

My time at UofD was the Harding Era. Not much to cheer about, other than the win over Marquette. That game was a team effort. Enough glory to spread around.

But in that time, I always knew that when push came to shove the ball was going to Cookie Marsh. A Detroit legend, a top recruit, a clutch performer.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:51 pm

I agree with SHjoe completely that the 2001 NIT team, led by Willie and Phillips provided some of the greatest memories in program history. The Titans won road games at Dayton, UConn and Bradley to advance to Madison Square Garden and a semifinal matchup with Memphis State. The Tigers proved too much for us that night but we played the consolation game vs Alabama two nights later. Five tournament games in one season is the most ever for us, I believe.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:11 pm

In a close game at crunch time, you always wanted the ball in Rashad Phillips’ hands. He would never turn the ball over and was money in the bank at the free throw line
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Albert Blakely
During his senior year this under the radar player (Sicko's first as HC) made 2 or 3 game winners at the buzzer. For me though his most memorable shot was not one of the game winners but his only miss. He let the ball fly and it went down and came back out. We lost. He shrugged his shoulders and the look on his face said "what else could I do?" That expression told me he was the player we wanted to take the last shot. He could handle the pressure.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Tony Tolbert was a clutch scorer for sure.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:18 pm

tony had two great seasons as a birdsong get and was perry's go too guy his senior year. i loved watching him play. now that you mention him, i remember blakely. tough.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball