New Commit - Taurean Thompson

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

New Commit - Taurean Thompson

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 am

6'11" 235 lbs. Transferring to us from Seton Hall. Was a 4-star recruit coming out of high school. First enrolled at Syracuse. Transferred to Seton Hall after 1 year there. The Hall received a lower level NCAA sanction for tampering when he transferred there. Only played in one game last year. Was Big East All-Academic team in 2019.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1278146744098918400
ptctitan
Senior

Re: New Commit - Taurean Thompson

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 am

He is ranked 90 overall and 18 for his position. I got my UDM gear yesterday form the vintage store online and I didn't know that was just foreshadowing for this. :shock:
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am

This is a stupendous and colossal signing. We now have the man that Duke’s Coach K called one of the most feared opponents he’s ever faced in college hoops. Here he is slayin’ the Blue Devils:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkooRbSkxA
The-Dude
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 am

Welcome Taurean, go Titans!
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:11 am

Welcome to Titan Territory, Taurean.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:53 am

i assume he's sitting out this year? these days seems like a dangerous assumption?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 am

titanmac wrote:i assume he's sitting out this year? these days seems like a dangerous assumption?

Grad transfer. Eligible immediately.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 am

We will petition the NCAA for a waiver for him to have 2 years of eligibility because he only played in one game last year at Seton Hall.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 pm

This is a truly significant addition! With Thompson we are an elite Horizon League team and perhaps more. This is a skilled, upper level post player who should dominate our league. With additional length provided by Kuol and Waterman we are no longer weak inside the paint. We have post players, 3 point shooters, tough drivers that can take it to rack, and the Rodman dimension and energy that Brandon provides. We also have a superstar in Antoine. Our roster is rounding into form. Can't wait!!!!!
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:30 pm

I’m glad that TT joined the team, but are you suggesting that a guy who played only a couple minutes last year in one game for Seton Hall is skilled enough to dominate in the 5 position in the HL? I mean, he COULD do that, but I don’t think it’s a safe assumption by any stretch.
Last edited by Tacitus651 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Yes, that's a lot of optimism, shg. I'm thrilled that we finally got a good big man; we've had the likes of Youssafeh Kane and Isiah Jones have cups of coffee here over the last 10 years but no one the caliber of Taurean until now. At the same time, this was an 8 win team a year ago with a lot of needs. Who are those tough drivers you're talking about? Are they actually here yet?

I tend to take the cautious approach that tacitus suggests and hope that we exceed expectations.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I’m glad that TT joined the team, but are you suggesting that a guy who played only a couple minutes last year in one game for Seton Hall is skilled enough to dominate in the 5 position in the HL? I mean, he COULD do that, but I don’t think it’s a safe assumption by any stretch.

I think the enthusiasm does not come from his stint at Seton Hall but is due to his Frosh year at Syracuse where he was a starter and played very well. Coach K considered him on of their toughest opponents. There is great reason to assume he will dominate.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball