Oh, no - It’s official.

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Oh, no - It’s official.

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:29 pm

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 453669002/

If they move beyond 10/1, we probably are looking at not having hoops this season.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Re: Oh, no - It’s official.

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/16/horizon-league-fall-sports/5453669002/

If they move beyond 10/1, we probably are looking at not having hoops this season.

How many of you guys have had a chance to see the cartoon. Two Amish guys are in a cabinet shop with their long shaggy beards and one asks the other. How come we are not getting this Covid 19 thing that is going on everywhere? His friend answers, because we do not have television or get the newspaper.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Living in Carolina » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm

If there are no classes on campus, you can't justify gathering to practicing and playing sports.
Living in Carolina
Sophmore

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:31 pm

Living in Carolina wrote:Re: Oh, no - It’s official.
by Living in Carolina » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:15 pm

If there are no classes on campus the trusties should consider turning the campus into either a retirement community or a pandemic treatment center. I would be interested to know if reducing professors pay to about 50-60% of what they presently receive is under consideration? They do not have to travel to campus and a lot less effort involved. Whit most jobs less effort means less $.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:33 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:

If there are no classes on campus the trusties should consider turning the campus into either a retirement community or a pandemic treatment center. I would be interested to know if reducing professors pay to about 50-60% of what they presently receive is under consideration? They do not have to travel to campus and a lot less effort involved. Whit most jobs less effort means less $.

Really? There is no hospital at Detroit Mercy; make this suggestion at Wayne State. And would you have those retirees move into dorm rooms for a semester or two until classes resume? Then where would they go?

And less effort? Every professor needs to rework classes for remote delivery. They still need to meet with students, even if it's remote. Plus, I haven't heard of any white collar workers who are taking pay cuts -- especially going to half pay -- because they don't have commuting expenses. By the way, are you suggesting that all the teachers in your local school district cut their pay in half if they do remote delivery?

(By the way, trusties are the trusted inmates of a prison or jail. The university is run by trustees. Very different.)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:12 pm

NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Really? There is no hospital at Detroit Mercy; make this suggestion at Wayne State. And would you have those retirees move into dorm rooms for a semester or two until classes resume? Then where would they go?

And less effort? Every professor needs to rework classes for remote delivery. They still need to meet with students, even if it's remote. Plus, I haven't heard of any white collar workers who are taking pay cuts -- especially going to half pay -- because they don't have commuting expenses. By the way, are you suggesting that all the teachers in your local school district cut their pay in half if they do remote delivery?

(By the way, trusties are the trusted inmates of a prison or jail. The university is run by trustees. Very different.)

NC Titan is right, this has actually created a lot more work for professors. It's wrecked my summer, both my vacation and research plans, as I retool all my courses and learn gobs of new technology and software. The interesting aspect, however, is that the end product is probably less valuable--if we didn't think so, we would presumably have gone to all on-line classes long ago.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:52 pm

NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

The decisions which have been made in recent history should tell us that the Trusties should be running the U. and the Trustees should be in prison. The Trusties were incarcerated for making bad decisions and our Trustees are rewarded, seems unjust
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Some university presidents and D1 coaches have announced self pay cuts, including the president of OU. It would be hard to justify charging the current tuition rate for remote instruction and keep paying both Garibaldi and Davis about $500,000 each. Especially if there is no basketball season regarding Davis. Just my opinion though, and it should be on the TrustEEs to make a suggestion about such matters.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Some university presidents and D1 coaches have announced self pay cuts, including the president of OU. It would be hard to justify charging the current tuition rate for remote instruction and keep paying both Garibaldi and Davis about $500,000 each. Especially if there is no basketball season regarding Davis. Just my opinion though, and it should be on the TrustEEs to make a suggestion about such matters.

If Ad lives in the dorms, then Coach Davis is taking a pay cut when the family passes on AD's full ride. It also saves the U money by not paying for campus visits this year. I still think there should be pay cuts for the faculty as the students are getting shorted from what they signed up for and thus they should get a discounted tuition rate.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living, UP?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Titan Jim wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living, UP?
I am retired after 52 yrs. in sales. Now I hunt and fish and look at the two Titan fan boards about two hrs. a day while I am waiting for Scout to figure out who our last recruit is.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Some university presidents and D1 coaches have announced self pay cuts, including the president of OU. It would be hard to justify charging the current tuition rate for remote instruction and keep paying both Garibaldi and Davis about $500,000 each. Especially if there is no basketball season regarding Davis. Just my opinion though, and it should be on the TrustEEs to make a suggestion about such matters.

If Ad lives in the dorms, then Coach Davis is taking a pay cut when the family passes on AD's full ride. It also saves the U money by not paying for campus visits this year. I still think there should be pay cuts for the faculty as the students are getting shorted from what they signed up for and thus they should get a discounted tuition rate.

Mike,Mike Jr. and AD all live in the same apartment building in downtown Detroit.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:27 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Mike,Mike Jr. and AD all live in the same apartment building in downtown Detroit.

I'm not sure that is a good thing but hey I raised my son and Davis is doing what he thinks is best for AD.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 am

I believe Brad Calapari also lives in a downtown Detroit apartment. Maybe everyone carpools to Calihan together and chip in for gas.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm

This looks to me like we are missing an opportunity to get the on campus students involved. It has to be difficult for students living on campus to support a team of fellow students who wish to be perceived as elite and not really a part of the student body. This might explain or contribute to the difficulty of getting students to trudge through the cold and snow to support a program that they really do not have a connection with. How does their training table work? Are they ever really a part of the University or is this team just a bunch of guys using the gym on campus.? Where is the connection?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm

This looks to me like we are missing an opportunity to get the on campus students involved. It has to be difficult for students living on campus to support a team of fellow students who wish to be perceived as elite and not really a part of the student body. This might explain or contribute to the difficulty of getting students to trudge through the cold and snow to support a program that they really do not have a connection with. How does their training table work? Are they ever really a part of the University or is this team just a bunch of guys using the gym on campus.? Where is the connection?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:06 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:This looks to me like we are missing an opportunity to get the on campus students involved. It has to be difficult for students living on campus to support a team of fellow students who wish to be perceived as elite and not really a part of the student body. This might explain or contribute to the difficulty of getting students to trudge through the cold and snow to support a program that they really do not have a connection with. How does their training table work? Are they ever really a part of the University or is this team just a bunch of guys using the gym on campus.? Where is the connection?

UP, don’t over analyze this. A consistent 25 win team and entertaining product would improve that connection. I doubt that they will ever average the 8k capacity (too many entertainment options in metro Detroit), but surely 3500 is possible.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:51 am

okay, you characters....read this thread. then do i again...if you don't laugh your senses of humor are suspect! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Wow.

I’m not liking this “new normal” much at all.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2020/8/ ... ports.aspx
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:42 am

I'm afraid it's a matter of getting used to less sports being normal, Hoopster. Stanford is a wealthy school in California and they cut 11 sports several weeks ago. As soon as today, college football may be cancelled for 2020. With the income spigot shut off, there's no telling how many so called Olympic sports may hit the cutting room floor. It has long been true that football, and to a lesser extent, men's basketball, are the lifeblood of a great many college athletic departments when it comes to financing them.

There will be resistance to the shutdown, mainly in the South and Southwest, but perhaps elsewhere. These same areas however, were slow to accept that the virus was real and in recent weeks, it has caught up to them.
dennycrane
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball