Oh, no - It’s official.

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Oh, no - It’s official.

Postby ptctitan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm

ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:07 am

This is another example of the university’s inability to adapt to change. I see no reason at all to abandon sports like golf where contact is minimal and competition individual. It may well be a financial decision but, if so, its poorly conceived and execution isn’t even considered. I am again disappointed in the University’s acceptance of its responsibilities as a modern institution of higher learning. I continue to fear for its survival in an age where adaptation to change is an essential element of effective management. Its not about the potential of the University as a Michigan Jesuit Institution as much as its about the poor management decisions that continue to haunt the campus into the 21st century, as if time stands still. :oops: :oops:
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Your point is well taken, mac, in regards to golf and essentially the same arguments apply to men's and women's cross country, very little contact and individual competition. Now, when it comes to the question of who is the competition in these sports, that is beyond the reach of the University to determine.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 pm

I a bit confused by these two posts. The Horizon League cancels sports and you criticize Detroit Mercy. I seriously doubt that the University could have altered the decision by the entire league.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:37 am

NC Titan wrote:I a bit confused by these two posts. The Horizon League cancels sports and you criticize Detroit Mercy. I seriously doubt that the University could have altered the decision by the entire league.

Agreed. An 11-1 vote in favor of "postponing" to Spring the HL's fall sports would not have changed the fact that the HL would have "postponed" maybe to Spring 2021 all of its fall sports. The wisdom of this league decision for all Fall sports can be questioned. But our university is not the only member of the HL that voted in favor of this decision. I don't agree with the league's decision; but I'm not going to place sole blame for it upon U of D. Our school has issues going forward. In fact, the nation's entire university system has major issues going forward. Our reaction to COVID-19 has exposed the financially weak links in many sectors of our economy.

IMO, the weakest links among universities are the State sponsored mid-sized universities such as the majority of those who are members of the HL. It costs a lot of money to operate so many of these campuses as full-service universities. In Michigan, older schools like EMU, CMU, and WMU were already facing financial issues before COVID because the State's population is no longer growing sufficiently to produce enough enrollment when they are in competition with newer facilities at Grand Valley, Ferris, and Oakland. In the HL, Wright State has been experiencing similar financial issues for the past several years.

In the short term, tax revenues in every State are going to decline (or not rise fast enough) to support all of these campuses to the extent needed to keep them competitive as institutions (not just in sports). By having remained in the HL and having aligned ourselves with 10 mid-sized State-run universities, we have exposed our sports programs to their problems when our much smaller size may enable us better to weather the coming financial reckoning than these bloated organizations. Before COVID, we also saw that Michigan cut out or tried to cut out the tuition grant program for its residents to attend private universities. The State did this because its revenues are no longer growing fast enough to support its own university system.

Metro Detroit has already seen proof of the coming restructuring because many suburban school districts have closed and consolidated into fewer locations the schools that were built for the transient population booms in their specific areas. The long-term problem with the HL is not merely that the league's power rating has weakened in men's BB. Rather, the more important long-term problem is the doughnut hole in higher education for these mid-sized, publicly subsidized university campuses that increasingly will be unable to operate as standalones without more government subsidies. Their problems are different than ours. And this is why we have always needed to be in a conference with members that are more closely aligned with the concerns of small private schools rather than the issues facing the mid-sized State subsidized campuses. We will always be outvoted 10-2 at a minimum when the State-run HL members have to choose between their own interests and the interests of all 12 HL members.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 am

just remember we have the illustrious "has my paycheck come yet?" commissioner crone, who has single handedly recreated the summit conference over the course of who knows how many years, crafting the agenda for the conference.... So i suppose we shouldn't be surprised....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby professorjackson » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:21 am

This board has had some remarkably ill-informed, stupid and cruel posts in the past, but the suggestion that faculty take a 50% or greater pay cut for doing MORE work to transform their in-person classes to hybrid, remote, or on-line classes and deliver them to students is without a doubt the most ill-informed, stupid and cruel thing ever posted here.
David J. Jackson, Class of '91
professorjackson
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:38 am

My big complaint here is that the NCAA and the universities have not exercised much, if any, critical thinking about the virus data and the death data that has been available to the public all along on the CDC website. I could understand this way of thinking in March and April when we did not know much about the virus other than its various RNA sequences. Now, we know how the virus actually affects real people. And, thanks to the NFL, we also know that the typical false positive rate in PCR testing of 2.3% could mean that as many as 30% of all positive test results might be false positives. This is a logical explanation for such high rates of asymptomatic cases among the people tested during the May-August testing surge. Prime example in Detroit is Matthew Stafford.

I understand the fear that existed back in May-June. But the data is clear. There is no significant health risk to the typical college student. There may be heightened risks to some professors, administrators and staff members. Yet, the universities have added work loads to their teaching faculty and made irrevocable decisions that have hurt their cash flows. I am concerned greatly about the long-term unforeseen consequences to the university system from these very short-term decisions seemingly made without full critical thinking. Epidemiology is not science. It is the application of statistics to disease outbreaks with wide margins of error. Once you break the system, it's more difficult to reconstitute it.

As to sports, we don't need to play any NCAA games in bubbles. We may need to restrict fan attendance; but no irrevocable decisions should be made right now. The NCAA has until late September before it may need to push back the start of the basketball season. By then, we'll have real data from those conferences that have not cancelled fall sports including football.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:39 pm

I agree with you, pct, that the upcoming season of NCAA basketball need not be played in a bubble. It's very possible that It may not be played at all. Coach Calipari, however, a few weeks ago suggested that the games should be played in a bubble, pretty much confirming what we suspected all along, that he struggles with the meaning of the term "student-athlete". He does seem to get the athlete part quite well, overseeing one of the principal one-and-done programs in the entire country.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:27 am

dennycrane wrote:I agree with you, pct, that the upcoming season of NCAA basketball need not be played in a bubble. It's very possible that It may not be played at all. Coach Calipari, however, a few weeks ago suggested that the games should be played in a bubble, pretty much confirming what we suspected all along, that he struggles with the meaning of the term "student-athlete". He does seem to get the athlete part quite well, overseeing one of the principal one-and-done programs in the entire country.

Men's BB will be played because the NCAA and its member schools cannot afford to lose another $375 million of tournament rights money.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

NCAA has authorized the D-1 season to begin on November 25th. Teams must play a minimum of 13 games in order to be eligible for the tournament.

A team can play a maximum of 27 regular season games if they also participate in a multi-team event aka MTE. We were scheduled to play in a 3-game multi-team event versus, Kentucky, Richmond, and Hartford from November 10th-21st. If you don't play in a MTE, then you can play a maximum of 25 regular season games.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1306371378891886594

All games must be against other Division 1 teams. There cannot be any exhibition games or closed scrimmages played before November 25th.

Beginning next Monday, September 21st, teams can practice 8 hours per week until 42 days before their first scheduled game, when they can practice 20 hours per week. NCAA also prohibits any countable events on Election Day in this year and all future years.

Since the Horizon League now has 12 members, there could be a 22 game conference schedule for the 2020-21 regular season. This means that there would be room for just 2 or 3 non-conference games plus a 2 or 3 game MTE.
ptctitan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball