Partial Move to Novi Announced

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Partial Move to Novi Announced

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:25 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Mercy have suitable amenities for healthcare training.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep. ... 3626622001
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Re: Partial Move to Novi Announced

Postby ptctitan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:53 am

In 2003, the university sold the old Mercy campus and buildings to Wayne County Community College.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:04 am

I wouldn’t characterize adding an expansion site a fair distance from campus a “partial move” of University operations. I don’t expect this development to have any diminishing effect on facilities or enrollment numbers on the main campus. The Novi campus will hopefully attract new students who live in that area of metro Detroit who would not otherwise be inclined to make a long daily commute to McNichols and Livernois (or to the old Mercy College campus you reference) to pursue studies. It’s pretty common nowadays for universities to have satellite campuses, and if done wisely I think expanding the Detroit Mercy footprint can be beneficial financially and otherwise. I will be interested in hearing more details, e.g., acquisition costs (I get the sense they got the property on the cheap), funding sources, programs offered, etc.

In a thread in the general section of this message board, there is discussion of the long list of colleges that have recently added satellite campuses in the city of Detroit, UDM’s own backyard:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3363
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:34 am

I agree with Rogo. Characterizing this as a partial "move" is the same as saying that UofM is moving to downtown Detroit because it opened the University of Michigan Detroit Center. I rather see the Novi satellite campus as a reflection of the University's brand value in Health Services education and a response to increased demand. Just like a bank opening additional branches, or a retailer opening additional stores.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 am

Here’s a five-minute walk-thru video of the building as well as the surrounding parking lot. Since it was used as a college teaching facility with an emphasis on health care programs until just recently, it looks like there will be very little need to modify the space in any major way. All the labs, classrooms, offices, break rooms, etc., appear to come with furnishings. Very modern, well maintained, rather sterile IMO, about what you would expect for a building in suburban Novi:

www.detroitnews.com/videos/news/local/m ... 899768002/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:29 am

I don't recall any of the articles talking price of the transaction, but I suspect it beats the price of building a new facility on campus.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Sources say $6,150,000
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:39 pm

theroundsquare wrote:Sources say $6,150,000

That is a great price for a property that is ready to move into. They need space now for the health programs. This fits the bill. Building would take two years and this looks like they could move into next semester it they wanted to.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:40 am

Is there a Macaroni Grill near by?!
The-Dude
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball