Wayne State to transition to DI

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Wayne State to transition to DI

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:13 pm

Detroit Free Press - - - - Sports
View comments / Facebook / Twitter

Detroit - - Wayne State University will soon announce its elevation to Division I NCAA athletics. A member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (Division II) since 1975, the school is currently constructing a 70,000 square-foot arena near the intersection of Warren and Trumbull avenues with seating capacity for approximately 3,000 fans, office space and locker room areas for both WSU's men's and women's basketball teams, a concessions area and other ancillary spaces. As recently reported, Wayne State entered into a partnership with the Detroit Pistons, making Wayne State the home of the new Pistons G League affiliate. The arena is expected to be ready for the 2021-2022 basketball season. A source said the elevation to Division I will not take place until July of 2022, as Wayne State will now try to negotiate entrance into a Division I conference. An announcement from the university is expected next week.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Wayne State to transition to DI

Postby Living in Carolina » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Well a crowded basketball market becomes even tighter. A pro city market that already does not allocate regular media space to it's three MAC members despite significant alumni residency. Add a G league team and now Wayne St to split the space/airtime allocate to the "Detroit" schools and the suburbs entrant Oakland. We can expect our three to five feature reports a season to narrow to two to three. Congrats to Wayne State, but having another Div 1 location for those players looking to go to school near home or transfer back home is not likely to be a benefit. Wonder how long it will take for them to be considered for the Horizon league.
Living in Carolina
Junior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Living in Carolina wrote:Well a crowded basketball market becomes even tighter. A pro city market that already does not allocate regular media space to it's three MAC members despite significant alumni residency. Add a G league team and now Wayne St to split the space/airtime allocate to the "Detroit" schools and the suburbs entrant Oakland. We can expect our three to five feature reports a season to narrow to two to three. Congrats to Wayne State, but having another Div 1 location for those players looking to go to school near home or transfer back home is not likely to be a benefit. Wonder how long it will take for them to be considered for the Horizon league.

I have to believe UDM and OU will block Wayne from the Horizon. Wayne might end up needing to join Summit and spend a ton on travel costs. Unless they can convince MAC to take them.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:08 pm

One question is what sports they want to participate in. Do they want a conference with football?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm

I suspect that some April foolery is going on.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm

I have a paid subscription to the Free Press, cannot find a link to story on the paper’s main site or associated social media. Could be true, but given that it’s April 1, might be just a made up story.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 am

titanmike wrote:I suspect that some April foolery is going on.

Taci, Dude!!!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:40 am

Rogobob77 wrote:I have a paid subscription to the Free Press, cannot find a link to story on the paper’s main site or associated social media. Could be true, but given that it’s April 1, might be just a made up story.

Here is the link to the original PR, obviously, no mention of Div. I. Does this mean that the rumor Kampe is moving to WSU to coach Div II again is not true either?!

https://today.wayne.edu/news/2019/05/01 ... lity-31665
The-Dude
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:07 pm

I was thinking that the Wayne State opportunity is what led Roy Williams to leave UNC.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:44 pm

A big state university can do what it pleases. But I don’t see this as much of a threat.
After all these years where WSU has succeeded as a university without D1 sports all of a sudden feels it needs
it is dubious to me. If UDM had never been D1, I don’t see this as a being a priority for us at this stage of
the game either. Especially with the risk that the economics of college sports could change over time as well,
with less going to the schools, who could afford it except the Power 5. Our MAC schools all lose money on their
D1 athletics. WSU was D1 in hockey once already and got out of it as quickly as they got in it.

We have a duopoly in Michigan with U of M and MSU and it’s hard for the rest of us to garner any attention and
I don’t see a primarily commuter schools like Wayne with no D1 history succeeding. Just my opinion.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:18 am

EarlTheTwirl wrote:A big state university can do what it pleases. But I don’t see this as much of a threat.
After all these years where WSU has succeeded as a university without D1 sports all of a sudden feels it needs
it is dubious to me. If UDM had never been D1, I don’t see this as a being a priority for us at this stage of
the game either. Especially with the risk that the economics of college sports could change over time as well,
with less going to the schools, who could afford it except the Power 5. Our MAC schools all lose money on their
D1 athletics. WSU was D1 in hockey once already and got out of it as quickly as they got in it.

We have a duopoly in Michigan with U of M and MSU and it’s hard for the rest of us to garner any attention and
I don’t see a primarily commuter schools like Wayne with no D1 history succeeding. Just my opinion.

I don’t know. The truth is, facilities really matter when it comes to recruiting. And the new arena looks VERY nice. I won’t be surprised if Wayne gets some local talent that UDM normally depends on. Thinking border 2/3 star guys like McFolley and Allen.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm

What league? The Summit? Would they take a team this far East? And what about football?
Or will that remain D2?

Like I said, Wayne can likely do what it pleases, but I’m not too worried about them zooming by us
to become another University of Houston or Cincinnati.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:37 pm

EarlTheTwirl wrote:...Like I said, Wayne can likely do what it pleases, but I’m not too worried about them zooming by us

So good to see you the other day in Birmingham Earl! You’re looking great as always Man!

I hope you’re right about this one Dude...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 am

EarlTheTwirl wrote:What league? The Summit? Would they take a team this far East? And what about football?
Or will that remain D2?

Like I said, Wayne can likely do what it pleases, but I’m not too worried about them zooming by us

I absolutely think the Summit would take Wayne. They’re already flying far out west to Denver. Maybe Wayne thinks they can slum in summit a few years and then move onto something better. As far as football, I have to think that a lot of college presidents and trustees are noticing the attention given to schools like Gonzaga, Drake, hell even schools like UMBC and FGCU, and wouldn’t mind some of that national attention even if short lived in some cases. What does a D2 football program get you? No media attention and a bunch of liabilities like coaches salaries, equipment, etc.
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball