2012-13 Titan squad

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2012-13 Titan squad

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 am

Coach Ray tweeted that he held a team meeting last night. Anyone know who was invited / atteneded?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Re: 2012-13 Titan squad

Postby detroittitans » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 am

Thought I would bump this up.
Looks like most players are here for the schools second session. Great. It appears Lippert is not here, which means he is probably finishing up his junior college requirements. Does anyone else know more about stuff?
detroittitans
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Minnerath is cleared to play 5 on 5! That has to be a great feeling for him. This puts him back on the court running with everyone else for the first time since his injury. This also leaves plenty of time to get back in game shape, especially for someone with his work ethic (if he was ever out of game shape).

And Mark Braden intends on being on campus in last August. Too bad he couldn't be working out with the team this summer (even as a walk-on), but he is a walk-on and school is VERY expensive. The other walk on, Tome Ivezaj, is running with the team, but I don't know if he participates in those 2 hour a week practices they are allowed to do now.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby bballing » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:43 pm

That is great news about Nick, though I think he probably is in top shape already but just hasn't had contact. I read he even won the Doyle award for hardest / most dedicated player again this year, for his rehab! gotta love the guy.
My gut is this is going to be a fun and exciting team to watch. Share the ball, and even pass it occasionally :D
From what I read on tweets, hear, the chemistry is looking good and can nowhere but up. crossing fingers on that and no injuries!
bballing
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm

It's going to be interesting watching this team gel. It's definitely Ray's team, for the first time. No high expectations to accommodate -- Eli and Chase both deserved their time in the spotlight in 2012-13; this year there is no one in that same position. Everyone will be watching Nick, but coming back from injury there will not be the same pressures there were last year on Chase and Eli. And -- God willing -- no one will have to make up for absent talent at the start of the season. That really threw the Titans off last year, and they didn't recover until February.

Leadership from Nick (quiet) and Ray (not-quiet :) ), Doug as Mr. Excitement, Calliste as the Assassin, Bruinsma as the Dark Intensity off the bench. And lots of bench, especially if the walk-ons are any good. Hopefully the new guys will fit in and Coach Ray will help them see their roles.

The two juniors need to hold down the middle. Lots of tall talent in the HL this season, so they will need to combine to be a defensive presence. Plenty of other scoring options.

This could be quite a year.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:09 pm

+1 NC. This is shaping up to be a great year to be a Titan.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:41 pm

right you are ole buddy. the key is the two new guys in the middle. i rarely have high expectations for newcomers. it just takes awhile....even when their highly touted. even worse, senior's system has a high degree of difficulty. we will compete commensurate with their ability to learn their roles, run the floor, fill the lane, board and dish...scoring when they can---hopefully on the break. it should be fun no matter what.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 am

it takes awhile for the typical young guys coming in to learn any system. nevertheless senior uses man presses, zone traps, double teams and precision passing to set up fast breaks and scoring opportunities in transition. in years past the players have had difficulty in talking themselves through the switches on defense and in transitioning to effective half court movement when the fast break opportunities were taken away. we didn't start winning last year jusr because eli came back, although he certainly had an impact. we also got better because, chase, dougie and lowe learned their roles and played better defense and offense in the half court. Perry, on the other hand, relied on using the clock and ball movement in the half court and man to man defense primarily--predictable and conservative but effective when well played.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby player#3 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:45 pm

I think we are going to be good in the middle, between the two big juco's we have and Ray to find them and Nick to spread the defense and hit some threes, it will give them some easy buckets in the middle. We also have Doug to mix it up with some dunks in there. It will be a good year for us. I think this years leadership will come from Ray and Nick. Both will be vocal leaders, but it will be the first time in the last three that we really have a team's team. I can't wait for the season to begin and watch the team play. I really to expect this years team to be communicating on defense, play selfless ball, pass, and win.
player#3
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm not exactly sure why, but I am getting that good chemistry vibe some of you are getting. It seems like these guys are working hard, and we don't have the "distractions" of previous teams. Its possible someone is causing trouble, but I haven't heard, read, or seen anything about it - and it would be Coach's first team without those distractions.

Minnerath, from today:
Good wrkout with the squad, gota get my game legs bak so I can hit a dam shot in transition lmao...

My guy @RayMac3 aint cutin me no slak for missin shots on my first day bak....I LIKE IT

https://twitter.com/nickminnerath

Let's just hope X and Blake are off campus already. :roll:
Last edited by ExcitedTitan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:20 pm

x was a great player. had a great future. too bad.
titanmac
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:29 pm

titanmac wrote:x was a great player. had a great future. too bad.

Great? Very good, but not great. I wish he was as good as he thought he was.

On a side note, not that someone else would have definitely made those shots, but how many buzzer beaters did X take himself and miss? I recall 2, but I think it was 3 or 4. I recall one at Calihan where he did not give up the rock when he had other guys wide open and closer.

Whatever positives X brought, his negatives greatly outweighed them. His poison of team chemistry alone keeps him from being a great player.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:10 pm

noone else was calling for the ball. he needed and probably needs a little work. but had all the skills. probably the most talented player on the team at the time. if he couldn't be coached it has nothing to do with his raw athleticism which was prodigious.
titanmac
Senior

Postby DPistons » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:16 pm

I'll be on the titan bandwagon that this team has good chemistry. Not to suck up to excited or chitwood, but Keeling, Blake, were extremely bad for this team. Half of you love Eli, but he was a huge distraction, and Simon was a talented ball hog who did not share the ball and tried to do to much. Even if this team was not as talented (which with nick back I think it is), this will be a better basketball team. They will listen to coach and let him coach. I am expected a great year with a group of hard working basketball/student players. In addition, they will be fast, athletic and fun to watch much of the time (depending on the line-up). Show time in Detroit!

Mac, if Keeling was as talented as you say he would be playing at least in an elite team in Europe wouldn't he?
DPistons
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Keeling was very talented, didn't have the head to manage it. Taking all that into account, Thomas Kennedy was the best player on that team.

Chase, who never lost faith in his scoring ability, was the guy who when the clock was winding down took the shot because no one else would. Too many times he got the ball with five or eight seconds left and it was either take it or turn it over. Plus he was intense and played hard and always got the tough defensive assignment. He wouldn't be playing in the NBA Summer League if he was a no-talent.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:43 pm

titanmac wrote:noone else was calling for the ball. he needed and probably needs a little work. but had all the skills. probably the most talented player on the team at the time. if he couldn't be coached it has nothing to do with his raw athleticism which was prodigious.

I remember Kennedy being wide open near the baseline, asking for the ball, then shaking his head after X launched and missed a 35 footer. But I agree he had talent. He should have stuck with football. I think he would be a great football player.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby DPistons » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Who said Simon did not have talent. I said he was a ball hog. I was at almost all the games the last few years and no he was not the only one who was willing to take the last shot, he didn't let anybody else have the ball to take the last shot (most of the time). Again, he has talent, but basketball is a team sport.
DPistons
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:37 pm

i didn't say x was the best player on that team i said he was the most talented. in my view he was more talented than eli. but of course he didn't use it or, perhaps more accurately, didn't know how to use it. either way its too late now. and i still say too bad.
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
titanmac wrote:noone else was calling for the ball. he needed and probably needs a little work. but had all the skills. probably the most talented player on the team at the time. if he couldn't be coached it has nothing to do with his raw athleticism which was prodigious.

I remember Kennedy being wide open near the baseline, asking for the ball, then shaking his head after X launched and missed a 35 footer. But I agree he had talent. He should have stuck with football. I think he would be a great football player.

I agree wholeheartedly, Keeling had enough athletic abililty to play in the N.F.L. He has that classic N.F.L T.E body. I believe if he had his head screwed on straight he could've been another Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby jucofan1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Dpistons is right on this one. This will be a good team. The big juco's in the middle are not freshman, but two juniors who are highly intelligent individuals who will pick up coaches offense/defense schemes quickly. It always surprised me how few plays Detroit runs. Titan's defense is not complicated but requires teamwork and communication. I am on board about this years team and it will gel together nicely.
Between Holman, X, Kennedy, Blake, and Simon....I would probably take Kennedy. All others are/were selfish players, and I will be really surprised if any make it beyond Europe or internationally by next October.

But Ugochukwu Njoku is going to help Detroit in Defense/Rebounding. Nice shot blocker too. I do not know much about Akinyemi Solanke (had to look up how to spell his name :) ). Bul looking at him I would say he's goning to help :) .
jucofan1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball