deberry

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

deberry

Postby baseball59 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:55 pm

inside prep sports is reporting that deberry just signed with mott cc.
baseball59
Senior

Re: deberry

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:42 pm

baseball59 wrote:inside prep sports is reporting that deberry just signed with mott cc.

That isn't good news for us. A BCS school can easily steal him in two seasons. It appears the coaching staff might've wasted a lot of time recruiting DeBerry and Calhoun. This coaching staff must do a better job of targeting high school recruits.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 pm

I guess this means you can graduate high school but still not meet our admission requirements.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
baseball59 wrote:inside prep sports is reporting that deberry just signed with mott cc.

That isn't good news for us. A BCS school can easily steal him in two seasons.

Actually, it may be about as good as it gets. He'll be nearby. He can come to games informally, see the other guys on the team. If he goes to a prep school we've got the same risk that some BCS school could try to sweep him up, and of course he could come over after just one year at Mott. Hopefully, he'll stay committed to UD. He seemed really excited about the Titans in the fall, we're going to the NCAA again next spring, :) we just got Doug Anderson from Mott. I still think Detroit is a good fit for DeBerry and we'll hope that a year from now he thinks so, too, and is ready to be admitted.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:10 am

UDTitan08 wrote:
ExcitedTitan wrote:I guess this means you can graduate high school but still not meet our admission requirements.

Was this really in doubt? He didn't meet NCAA standards so no D-I school could have him eligible this year. If he met NCAA standards he would be in a Titan uniform in the Fall.

I was just being a smarta$$ for the benefit of our Indiana posters. They were different situations.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby TJMIKTITAN » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:08 am

Posted this weekend - via twitter. Sure sounds like he still plans on coming to U of D in the future. Notice his shirt in the photo.

“Me and Cory! Love him. He's gonna play basketball for the Detroit Titans.”

http://instagr.am/p/MPdcG9mPqL/
Don't tell me how you want "Great Things" - Show me by doing some "Great Things"
TJMIKTITAN
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 am

R.B.J1 wrote:This coaching staff must do a better job of targeting high school recruits.

Criticizing is a lot easier than recruiting.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby SeniorTitan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm

If he is going to Mott then that is kinda payback for Doug Anderson. I always remember Perry Watson saying that he always placed those kinds of kids with friendly coaches. Then whenever some other school inquired about them they were always told to forget him, he is going to Detroit.
SeniorTitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:13 pm

NC Titan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:This coaching staff must do a better job of targeting high school recruits.

Do you think they did a good job targeting high school recruits when 50% of them don't end up on the roster? Check yourself, before you check me.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm surprised it that high rbj. Ida expected a lot less than 50 percent end up on the roster.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:

Do you think they did a good job targeting high school recruits when 50% of them don't end up on the roster? Check yourself, before you check me.

50% of what? Kids we recruit? Very few schools get half the kids they recruit on their roster. Maybe Duke and UNC and UCLA, but not many others. 50% of the kids they offer to? Bet few schools get half they kids they offer schollies to. 50% of the LOIs ending up on the roster? I think our number is higher than that.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 am

I'll do the math for you. Calhoun,Deberry,Wilson and Dos santos are all high school recruits, who either signed or verbally committed to play at UDM, Calhoun and Deberry won't be on the 12-13 roster. Therefore, 50% of the freshmen recruits won't be on next seasons roster.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:39 pm

So?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby retspooh » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:30 am

He could have been the next Rayvon Coville. A 4-year Center that grew-up in the system and developed into a special talent.
retspooh
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:35 am

Hopefuly he spends a year @ mott gets his grades up and has three years of elegibility!
titanmac
Senior

Postby SeniorTitan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:52 pm

That raises a question. Does a JUCO player have to go two years before transfering? It seems like they all go two years. I don't recall any leaving after only one year.
SeniorTitan
Senior

Postby Titan.RW » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:51 pm

I believe that the rule is you can go one year if you are qualified to attend a four year school after graduating high school and you must go two years if you're a non qualifier.
Titan.RW
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:10 pm

What if you go to D2? How did lowe lose his year of eligibilyty? We all thought he had three but he only had two? Whjats with the prep schools then? Do you go there senior year? How do they get your grades up there then? Did brian alexander come from JC?
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:19 pm

titanmac wrote:What if you go to D2? How did lowe lose his year of eligibilyty? We all thought he had three but he only had two? Whjats with the prep schools then? Do you go there senior year? How do they get your grades up there then? Did brian alexander come from JC?

Brian Alexander was qualified coming out of high school, he redshirted his freshman year at Wichita St, transferred to Butler C.C for his one season of Juco ball, I believehe played three seasons at UDM.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Just an aside while looking up other things. Samarco, jj and tavoris baker are all still playing pro ball!
titanmac
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball