UWM moving back to Klotsche Center

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

UWM moving back to Klotsche Center

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 pm

It holds 3,400, and they got a waiver from the HL. They say it is so more students can make it.
http://www.uwmpanthers.com/genrel/062612aaa.html

Their fans, for the most part, don't seem to like it.
http://uwmfreak.proboards.com/index.cgi ... hread=6147

I haven't been to the Cell or Klotsche, but I always think smaller gyms provide a better home court advantage. Maybe we should move to the Calihan basement gym. They can set up stands outside the windows.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Re: UWM moving back to Klotsche Center

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm

History repeating itself (sorta): Moving UD games to Cobo back in the '70s did not help the program long-term.

Agree with the AD that the games should be available to students; after all, the team exists for the university, not the other way around. (My son attended Georgetown and in four years never went to a game, all of which were played at the Verizon Center five or six miles away. He has no connection to the school's team.)

Perhaps UWM could have taken a page out of Loyola's book and refurbed the old gym before moving back. After all, UWM is a state school, so money shouldn't be an issue.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:03 pm

NC Titan wrote:Perhaps UWM could have taken a page out of Loyola's book and refurbed the old gym before moving back.

I don't like the new Gentile Center. The old one was a big high school style gym, but the new one feels cheap and ill-fitting. It feels temporary. Some of it is moveable so its flimsy and shakes when anyone around you moves. They put speakers right in front of the scoreboards. The corridors small, colorless, and cold. I was directed to a bathroom outside the arena and down a hall. I prefer the old one. The new one is like a high school gym where they tried to build a new arena inside of it. Oh wait . . . But I like Loyola, its location, its campus, and its people.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby candf1980 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:20 pm

The Gentile Center (either version) is still better than when they played at Northwestern's big empty barn back in the day.
candf1980
Senior

Postby titanreggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 pm

The Gentile was still a work in progress last season and it will be much nicer in the future. It needed paint and more banners to add to the arena.
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Postby titanreggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Milw bussed their students to the games at the Cell. The Klotz sucks in my humble opinion in that there is little parking at the center. I thought a new campus arena was being discussed for Milw. Hearing that added parking is in the mix, the KC will rock and give the Panthers a tremendous home court advantage. Have to ask Panther where to hang out around the area.
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 am

GoTitans
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball