Breakout predictions

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Which player do you think will have the biggest "breakout" year?

Doug Anderson
4%
Jason Calliste
21%
Evan Bruinsma
13%
Nick Minnerath
42%
P.J. Boutte
8%
Anton Wilson
4%
Juwan Howard Jr.
8%
Jermaine Lippert
No votes
Akinyemi Solanke
No votes
Ugochukwu Njoku
No votes

Total votes : 24

Breakout predictions

Postby ExcitedTitan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I guess this is kind of a most improved poll. I think Minnerath "broke out" already but he could have a much larger impact on the team than he did 2 years ago. I am not including Ray. I am also including new guys who could have a huge impact. I didn't include Dos Santos because I can only put down 10 options and I think he is playing behind too much talent right now.

I am picking Calliste. He has shown so many signs of being a great player but hasn't put it all together on a regular basis like I think he can -- provided he is healthy. If not, I think Wilson will surprise some people. Then Howard.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Re: Breakout predictions

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Nick and Ray will be the best players on the team. Because of that expectation, Nick won't have a "breakout" year.

Doug will be the most exciting player, and he and Nick could be a tremendous pair on offense, really stretching our opponents. But unless his defense comes out of nowhere and he blocks a Tyler-like ton of shots, he won't be the breakout.

Evan is playing behind Nick, so he won't have enough PT to break out. Same for PJ playing behind Ray, unless Coach goes with three guards all the time (unlikely with all the small forwards) and PJ is one of them.

I don't expect a lot of offense from either of the two centers, so if either one of them is a scorer then he might be the breakout player.

Unless one of the four new shooters is a real assassin and can play some D, I don't think Lippert or Wilson or Howard or Dos Santos will get enough PT to be the star.

So I am going with Jason.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby bballing » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I voted for Nick, I know he did well his first year at Detroit, but I think he will shine this year as long as his remains healthy. I could see him like in his Juco years averaging 20 points and 8 or 9 rebounds a game. The points will come easy for him but the rebounds I have seen him improving on at the D 1 level. Young Howard could be good too.
bballing
Senior

Postby retspooh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 am

I went with Evan. A three-time HS champion and player that averaged 25 pts a game as a senior. I expect him to be at championship form and bust games open late with an accurate 3 ball.
retspooh
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:34 am

I agree with hoopster. He's smart and tough. Has a high bball iq. i love his game face. Knows what it takes to win and how to contribute with a steal, a rebound, a put back. Should gain confidence and play tough when its needed. I don't expect him to be a star but I expect him to be a solid contributer. i, like hoopster, think he will gain confidence in his three as he matures and will be a threat to score and otherwise contribute in a variety of ways. i think his iq will lead his maturity as a defensive player as well. has a variety of weapons and skills that will only improve with maturity.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanarama » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Mac and Hoopster, if you're trying to cheer me up, it's working !!!! :D :lol: :P
No MERCY in Detroit.
titanarama
Senior

Postby titanreggie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:04 pm

+1 on Evan. Mac, you know I love the kid. I also think JH2 will be more than what some expect. I think he's a baller and great pedigree and a good basketball IQ also. I like high bkb IQ guys and I think this team will have more of that than last year. Happy 4th to all.

TR
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Postby Indianapolis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:24 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:I guess this is kind of a most improved poll. I think Minnerath "broke out" already but he could have a much larger impact on the team than he did 2 years ago. I am not including Ray.

The intention of this thread is to focus on the most improved Titan with the exception of Ray, however, I believe the "breakout" performance of the upcoming season will be Ray Michael. Everyone on this forum realizes Ray has first round NBA draft choice potential. Due to internal issues, Ray tried to do too much during the first half of last season and didn't meet expectations. When the team reached full strength his performance and statistics increased. Detroit will be a much faster team this season and I expect Ray to be the Horizon League Player of the Year and predicted as a first round NBA draft choice next June.

P.J. should receive more playing time this season and I expect his statistics to reflect the fact that he was the starting point guard on 6 National AAU Championship teams and the all time high school assists leader in the state who produces more division one basketball players, more first round NBA draft choices and more professional basketball players than any other similar sized region on the planet.

I really like the tenacity of Nick and Evan. Both could be breakout performers this season.
Indianapolis
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 pm

I knew isaiah. Pj is no isaiah
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Indianapolis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

titanmac wrote:I knew isaiah. Pj is no isaiah

Nor is Ray.
Indianapolis
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 pm

titanmac wrote:I knew isaiah. Pj is no isaiah

He'd have to be a tall short blond dark-haired combo SG-PG-PF sharpshooter. And he'd be old. Really old.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I picked...after much soul searching...Evan by just a whisker. My brain said Jason...my heart said Doug but, in the end, with hoopster, Reggie, and Mac on board with Evan, I don't want to end up looking like an idiot. Maybe they'll all have breakout years. :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

I got it! A breakout year for ... the Detroit Titans! :D
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:14 am

We will be as good as our newcomers will adjust to D1 speed. to get the most of our experience, this is my starting line up:

c. nick
f. doug
f. jh jr
g. jc
g. ray jr.

sprinkle the new guys in liberally with pj and evan the first off the bench. nick and the bigs, including evan, switching off between center and forward. i could understand starting evan at pf and dougie on the wing, with jh jr. the first off the bench so take your pick. expect the freshmen to get pt, but less and less as the season progresses.

this gives us a lot of experience and a few different looks to the play calling ray sr. likes.

indie will hate this but the reality is pj's behind the head jump shot is usually relegated to the playground. the only big time player i ever saw use it succesfully at this level and up is sweet dew. not only is pj no isaiah, so far he's no sweet dew either. whether he abandons this shot or not i hope he's been working hard on his jump shooting over the summer. if he finds the form that made him a successful scorer at the hs level we will be a very good team for years to come. especially if he can hit from ten to twelve feet.

i know there are those of you that disagree, but i think dougie's defense improved dramatically as the season went on last year. i hope he has been working hard on his defensive positioning this summer so that he will be the full court impact player he is capable of becoming.
Last edited by titanmac on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am

nick wouldn't ever have played center with eli and lowe in there. hard to say if the new guys are as good as those two. even if they are they don't know the system and will have a one year learning curve. better to let them learn in mho.
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 am

(If I were at home I would look through my old Titan yearbooks, but maybe someone (Larry? Reggie?) can remember the name.)

I think it was the 2005-06 season when Ryvon Covile was slated as starting center and we also had a highly-touted forward who had transferred in from Michigan State. When Covile tore up his knee and sat out the season the transfer was moved into the center position and had a mediocre year because he was playing out of position. You could see that he would have been a dynamite forward.

I trust that Coach Ray will not do that to Nick, wasting a year of Nick's college career and giving up his high value to the team. Concede the scoring from the center position and let Nick work his PF magic.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:05 pm

NC, I think you're thinking of Chuck Bailey, who had transferred from Michigan. He ended up playing C and the Titans had a mediocre year, at best. He would've been a good forward. If Nick is playing C this year, I think we're going to be disappointed in the team's performance. Not because of Nick himself, but precisely because of what you said -- he'd be out of position.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:33 pm

chuck had a good season. we didn't have a mediocre season because chuck was out of position. we had a mediocre season because we lost coville and didn't have the depth to pick him up. besides that chuck was 6' 7" 220 (which probably means he was 6 5?) here's his numbers.

04-05: 30 g: 5.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 53.70% fg.

05-06: 32g: 10.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.1bpg, 56.7%

he played in argentina last year, btw.

nick is a LOT bigger stronger and more athletic than chuck. nevertheless chuck was a very good player for us. the next biggest forward on that team was ethan shaw. he is listed as having an inch on bailey and 5 pounds. he played 18 minutes a game that year and avged 3.6 points ppg.

besides all that, mlive listed nick as a forward/center at Jackson
titanmac
Senior

Postby Indianapolis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:02 pm

titanmac wrote:
indie will hate this but the reality is pj's behind the head jump shot is usually relegated to the playground. the only big time player i ever saw use it succesfully at this level and up is sweet dew. not only is pj no isaiah, so far he's no sweet dew either. whether he abandons this shot or not i hope he's been working hard on his jump shooting over the summer. if he finds the form that made him a successful scorer at the hs level we will be a very good team for years to come. especially if he can hit from ten to twelve feet.

Perhaps you should direct these comments regarding PJ's shooting motion toward the Detroit coaching staff. PJ's shooting motion has been modified since his arrival to the Titans. The coaching staff at Detroit has instructed him on the mechanics of his "behind the head jump shot" which "is usually relegated to the playground" His shooting motion and release is now very similar to Ray's.

His shooting motion and release during his prep career started atop his right shoulder and beside his right ear. He was a 43% field goal shooter and 39% from beyond the arc while utilizing his natural shooting motion.

Reference these video's for verification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipV-h592UcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4Sl-2EpEM
Indianapolis
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:30 pm

your just confirming what i said indie. i didn't criticize it. just said it was different. if coaches want him to change it that's fine and its up to them. so was duerod's. so is jim furyk's golf swing if a golf analogy helps. doesn't mean it won't necessarily work and i didn't say it wouldn't. it is unconventional tho and that's all i said.
Last edited by titanmac on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titanmac
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball