Time Waster: All-Time Titan starting lineup

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Time Waster: All-Time Titan starting lineup

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

Who would be your all-time starting line-up with a traditional pg-sg-sf-pf-c line-up? You may be limited to the guys you saw play, but you don't have to be. And as a Titan, not what they did before or after their UofD days.

I would go with Rashad at the point, Duerod at the 2 guard, Long at the 3. Then I get stuck. DeBusschere, Haywood, Tyler, Calihan, Swanson? Did they all play power forward for the most part? Haywood at center and DeBusschere at pf would be nice. I'm blanking on a standout center. Cureton?

I suppose JJ could be the pg with Rashad at the 2. Or Willie at the 2.

Its not as easy as I thought.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Re: Time Waster: All-Time Titan starting lineup

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:20 pm

C-Haywood
F-Tyler
F-Dave D
G-Long
G-Phillips

I never saw Haywood or Dave D, I remember Terry T and John Longs as a Pistons and not Titans. Phillips edges out Jackson as the starting Pg.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 pm

phillips wouldn't ever get anyone the ball! ( he single handedly destroyed dez fergusons senior year because he didn't get him the ball) i would have phillips at the 2 if long wasn't there. jackson was a better pure point guard than phillips and played over phillips at that spot while they played together. i would also have duerod over phillips at the 2. sweet due holds the single season record for most field goals (1979, 303) Long played @ forward while @ the corner. i saw them all except debuschere...even i am not THAT old. i would also consider archie tullos at the 2 before phillips. phillips doesn't make my team. maybe he makes my second team. i would have to think about that more than i have.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Mac, if 'Shad never passed the ball how come he's the #4 all-time assists leader, with 2 of the top 10 seasons? He's also #1 scorer, #2 steals, #2 FT percentage (with 4 of the top 9 seasons ever).

That said, here's my all-time starting five:

C: Spencer Haywood, even though he played PF his one season at Detroit
PF: Dave DeBusschere
SF: John Long
SG: Terry Duerod (just barely, over Willie Green)
PG: Rashad Phillips

It's interesting how Detroit has produced a lot of up-front muscle but not many scoring guards. Ray might've had a shot at being one of the best if he weren't playing combo.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:57 pm

longevity and pt. didn't say he wasn't good. just not a true point guard. a great shooting guard, a great scorer. a great free throw shooter and he excelled with jackson at the point. but the reality was, especially if you had a chance to watch him play all the time, he was kinda a ball hog. so he's not my first team point guard. again. not sure if he would make my second team. would have to think about it more than i care to right now. he definitely would not make my second team as a two for the reasons i already stated.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

NC Titan wrote:C: Spencer Haywood, even though he played PF his one season at Detroit

So nobody can name someone they would want at center (who played center)? Did Cureton play center most of the time? I think Coville was a very good center, but his injury really kept him from dominating. Eli? Brain Alexander? Jason Bennett? Anyone pre 1975?
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Speaking or Rashad Phillips, here is a nice article on #3.

http://www.ballinmichigan.com/2012/07/2 ... -to-youth/
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Cureton played center.
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 am

I always figure you've got to judge players in the context of their times. Bob Calihan was our first All-American, but today, as a 6'3" center using a two-handed set shot, I don't think we'd even be recruiting him!

Then, do we have to play players where they played with UD - e.g. Tyler played Center, but I'm sure if he and Cureton had played together, he would have slid over and played power forward. Or Long, who played forward but could have played at the 2.

As for centers, Haywood was often described as a center (including in the All-America team releases) but often lined up at forward with Larry Moore at Center. It sort of depended on who we were playing, who they had, etc. So I think you could call him a center if you want. Other great Titan centers along with Calihan, Tyler, Cureton, and (sorta center) Haywood - Dorie Murrey, whom Larry mentioned, and Norm Swanson from the early 50s. How good was Swanson? Well, in 1952-53 he missed the first semester because of academic issues, and still made honorable mention All-American (he was also All-American in 1951-52).

Another really good player no one has mentioned was Bill Ebben, a forward/guard type who was All-American Honorable Mention in 1956 and Third Team in 1957, and First Team All-Missouri Valley Conference both years. His 27.8 scoring average in 1957 was 8th best in the nation and also a school record, since surpassed in Detroit only by Spencer Haywood in 1968-69. His 23.6 ppg in 1955-56 is the 6th best ever for a Titan.

I'll go with where they played for UD and go with this:
First Team:
F - Haywood
F - DeBusschere
C - Tyler
PG - Phillips (though I appreciate Mac's idea that Jackson might actually be a better true point guard, I'll still go with Rashad as a better overall player)
SG - Duerod

Second Team:
F - Ebben
F - Long
C - Calihan (of course, he couldn't play center nowadays, but he was a two-time all American in his day - a first team all american in 1939 - so ya gotta have him here.)
PG- JJ
SG - Green

(Now I've got a first team with two power forwards and a second team with two small forwards; yet Haywood and DeBusschere I think were pretty clearly our two best players ever, I can't keep them off the first team. But we could move Spencer to Center and make Ebben or Long our small forward on the first team - pick 'em - and then make Tyler the power forward on the second team)

Third team:
SF - Guy Sparrow (twice first team all MVC in the 50s, All-American honorable mention in 1955)
PF - Joe Kopicki
C - Swanson (close call over Murrey and Cureton - if I go out of position I'd make the Twirl my power forward on this team)
PG - Dennis Boyd (not really the best left, probably, but a very good player and a personal fave, so I'm goin' with him. What, you want Wilbert McCormack?)
SG - Archie Tullos (close over Derrick Hayes and Tony Tolbert)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanarama » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 am

PG- JJ
SG- Rashad
C- Terry T
PF- Spencer
SF- Big Dave

I have to go with JJ for his great passing and defense AND rebounding. Rashad , as our all time leading scorer and overall play, gets the 2 spot. Big Dave and Spencer are no brainers. I pick Terry Tyler, mainly because of a game against Big Joe Meriweather at the Hall. Big Joe went about 6'10'' or 6'11''. In the first two or three minutes of the game, TT blocked 3 of his shots. Big Joe was never a factor and TT OWNED him. Damn. THOSE were the days...
No MERCY in Detroit.
titanarama
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am

Terry Tyler is only about 6'5" maybe 6'6". He was listed at 6'7" I believe. But could jump like he was 9'2" (not that a 9'2" guy could jump at all, but I think you get my point). Not your typical center.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball