Anton Wilson

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Anton Wilson

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am

To bring back some, somewhat, ongoing topics from the lost board, Anton Wilson has kind of dropped off the face the earth. Last we heard he was down to 3 schools, us, Rhode Island and Iowa, and announced he would make a decision a few weeks ago. Nothing since. Strange for a fairly high profile prospect. My first thought is academic trouble. I don't have a second thought.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Re: Anton Wilson

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:48 pm

He is apparently making a visit to Oral Roberts now. Hmmm. Something strange is going on. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to prep school. He was planning on doing that not that long ago.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby TJMIKTITAN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Don't ask me how this fits into our scholarship numbers, especially with news of the Carlton Brundidge transfer, but according to his twitter account, Wilson has committed to attend U of D.

https://twitter.com/#!/WhoGuardingTon
Don't tell me how you want "Great Things" - Show me by doing some "Great Things"
TJMIKTITAN
Senior

Postby Freebuddys » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Sounds like this kid is a shooter. Oh please let him be a real shooter, and not a streaky one. We haven't had one of those in years.
Freebuddys
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:51 pm

What's up with these guys (Braden too) saying they are coming here on Twitter but we have no info? I like Wilson, but he must have a lot of issues. He had offers from Baylor, Boston College, Iowa, Memphis, Rhode Island, CMU and CSU. He debates whether he will go to college this coming year or go to prep school. Then he makes a visit to Oral Roberts. :? Now he says he's coming here. Strange.

Who would you rather have, Brundidge or Wilson? Wilson is a 6'6" small forward/shooting guard, Rivals 3 star. Brundidge is a 6'0" shooting guard, Rivals: 4 star, #29 SG, #106 overall, ESPN: 4 star, Scout grade of 94, #20 SG, #75 ovreall. I'd take Brundidge even though he sits out a year and gives us 3 years. Too many questions about Wilson, but if not Brundidge, I would be very happy with Wilson. I'm easy to please. :roll:
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 pm

i want them both.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:10 pm

if i had to choose, given similar athletic ability, i'd take a player who could give us four years rather than three,
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanreggie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

We'll see who shows up at practice in October, anything else is spectulation. I'm sure we'll be good and I hope we are better than last season.

TR
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 pm

i knew you were going to say that tr! we wanna know now!
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanreggie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I know Mac but I'm a patient man until practice starts, then I want to know too. You know me, and what I want is for the kids to work hard and add something to their games from last year and get stronger, quicker and faster. Big men get that jump hook together and shoot it 100 times a day or more and work with both hands on that shot. Work on those post moves and learn to shoot off the glass. Wings work on the dribble and the handle so you can drive to the basket, also work on a couple of post moves in case you have the mismatch in the low block and of course shoot that jumper.

This is the time for fundamentals to be pushed. That includes blocking out and attacking the rebound off the rim. Shooting and ball handling. Defensive stance and smarts. You want those things to be automatic and not having to think about doing them during the game.

I want this team to be better than last year. I want to dominate the HL. This is when you prepare for domination.

I want us to be the next team to leave the HL because another league wants us and we are even more relevant. Then we don't have to debate who is added to our league. Always good to be wanted and winning this league on a regular basis will help in that regard.

Enjoy the beautiful day and Go Titans!!!

TR
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 pm

titanreggie wrote:I know Mac but I'm a patient man until practice starts, then I want to know too. You know me, and what I want is for the kids to work hard and add something to their games from last year and get stronger, quicker and faster. Big men get that jump hook together and shoot it 100 times a day or more and work with both hands on that shot. Work on those post moves and learn to shoot off the glass. Wings work on the dribble and the handle so you can drive to the basket, also work on a couple of post moves in case you have the mismatch in the low block and of course shoot that jumper.

TR

Reggie, you're describing my game to a T! Too bad I don't have eligibility. :D
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Blocking out? What's that?
titanmac
Senior

Postby TJMIKTITAN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am

6/12/12

"I'm proud to be a Titan!" Anton Wilson told All Eyes on U Hoops. The 6'6 2012 wing formerly from Flint Carman Ainsworth who ended his high school eligibility at Flora McDonald Prep School ended his recruitment when he choose Detroit. "It came down to Detroit and Oral Roberts" Wilson said. "I just liked the school better and they play a tougher schedule." Anton got a lot out of Prep School and feels it helped him on and off the court. "It helped me progress my whole game on the court." Wilson added "Off the court it showed me that I had to take my academics more seriously since I do play basketball, but education is still the main thing."

Anton listed ball handling and attacking the rim as what he is working on the most right now and shooting the strongest part of his game. Anton is planing to be moving in for summer classes at Detroit to get a head start at his college life. With Doug Anderson eligibility being done it would seem like Detroit would have a spot open for an athletic wing that can shoot but Anton isn't worried about weather he will start or not. "I just want to come in, and help the team." Wilson said "hopefully I can make a positive presence for us."

Wilson had a long recruitment process with several different schools showing interest and even a few times where he was close to making a decision until holding it off but now that it is done Anton is very happy with how it went. " I really enjoyed the entire process." Wilson said "I wouldn't do anything different. Wilson will try to help Detroit defend their conference tournament title this upcomming season, as the Titans will again be led by one of the best point guards in the country in Ray McCallum.

http://www.alleyesonuhoops.com/Anton-picks-Detroit.html

Note the bolded part about Doug Anderson's eligibilty being done - I'm assuming this was the writer's mistake. Has anybody heard anything different?
Don't tell me how you want "Great Things" - Show me by doing some "Great Things"
TJMIKTITAN
Senior

Postby retspooh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 am

TJMIKTITAN wrote:
6/12/12

"I'm proud to be a Titan!" Anton Wilson told All Eyes on U Hoops. The 6'6 2012 wing formerly from Flint Carman Ainsworth who ended his high school eligibility at Flora McDonald Prep School ended his recruitment when he choose Detroit. "It came down to Detroit and Oral Roberts" Wilson said. "I just liked the school better and they play a tougher schedule." Anton got a lot out of Prep School and feels it helped him on and off the court. "It helped me progress my whole game on the court." Wilson added "Off the court it showed me that I had to take my academics more seriously since I do play basketball, but education is still the main thing."

Anton listed ball handling and attacking the rim as what he is working on the most right now and shooting the strongest part of his game. Anton is planing to be moving in for summer classes at Detroit to get a head start at his college life. With Doug Anderson eligibility being done it would seem like Detroit would have a spot open for an athletic wing that can shoot but Anton isn't worried about weather he will start or not. "I just want to come in, and help the team." Wilson said "hopefully I can make a positive presence for us."

Wilson had a long recruitment process with several different schools showing interest and even a few times where he was close to making a decision until holding it off but now that it is done Anton is very happy with how it went. " I really enjoyed the entire process." Wilson said "I wouldn't do anything different. Wilson will try to help Detroit defend their conference tournament title this upcomming season, as the Titans will again be led by one of the best point guards in the country in Ray McCallum.

http://www.alleyesonuhoops.com/Anton-picks-Detroit.html

Note the bolded part about Doug Anderson's eligibilty being done - I'm assuming this was the writer's mistake. Has anybody heard anything different?

Not the news I'd like to start my birthday with. This would be the worst ending to a UDM career ever. Even more so than the way Cotton exited.
retspooh
Senior

Postby retspooh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 am

Freebuddys wrote:Sounds like this kid is a shooter. Oh please let him be a real shooter, and not a streaky one. We haven't had one of those in years.

Looks like a true scorer. Checkout the video...

http://clevelandstatehoops.proboards.co ... &thread=23
retspooh
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 am

We should all be pretty excited about Anton Wilson coming here. He was top 150 national recruit.
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2012/05/ ... p-150.aspx

Here's what others are saying:

"Alex Schwartz‏@NorthstarBball

Anton Wilson is a BIG-TIME pickup for Detroit. Was one of the last available guys in my top 150. Huge get for the Horizon League program".
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 am

so there must be an eligibility issue if he signed a letter and we haven't announced it...or at least a perceived issue? maybe the ad is just dotting the i's and crossing the t's? maybe we're trying to figure out how to fit everyone in? i can't imagine doug anderson is leaving the program. his only way to go is up and he seems like a character guy.
titanmac
Senior

Postby detroitalumnus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:10 am

The signing period ended on May 16th. Therefore, he can not sign a formal LOI. He will just start taking classes. That assumes that he will be attending U of D.
detroitalumnus
Junior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am

well then we're not going to announce until his butt is firmly embedded in a clasroom seat.
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 am

Going to classes in the summer doesn't make him eligible in the fall; enrolling in September makes him eligible to play in November. I think we don't announce until we give him a schollie for the fall semester.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball