campus visits

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: campus visits

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Totally, NC. I follow you and I've read up on this before. Iceland retains the old Norse naming system that the other Scandinavian countries did away with centuries ago. The naming system can make it hard to determine if you are blood relatives with someone, and so there's actually an App in Iceland that helps you make sure you don't date your cousin.

Hopefully our recruit is not inbred and has decent coordination.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby The-Dude » Mon May 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Totally, NC. I follow you and I've read up on this before. Iceland retains the old Norse naming system that the other Scandinavian countries did away with centuries ago. The naming system can make it hard to determine if you are blood relatives with someone, and so there's actually an App in Iceland that helps you make sure you don't date your cousin.

Hopefully our recruit is not inbred and has decent coordination.


What if this kid comes in and destroys the HL and turns out to be the next Pétur Guðmundsson??
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: campus visits

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Actually, Icelandic boys have surnames ending in "son" and women have surnames ending in "dottir." So, you could have a brother and a sister with names like Ólafur Bryndísarson and Katrín Bryndísardóttir. (Vigdís Finnbogadottir was the first female president of Iceland.) To limit confusion, even formally Icelanders are referred to by their first names. An example: the performer Bjork's full name is Bjork Guðmundsdóttir but she goes by Bjork simply because that is how she is known in Iceland, not because she views herself as another Elvis or another Prince or another Enya. And I've heard, but I've never confirmed, that there are so few surnames in Iceland that phonebooks list names by first name rather than last name.


That is where we get son and daughter from, the Vikings! Son is son and daughter is dottir!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby The-Dude » Mon May 08, 2017 3:52 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:
Actually, Icelandic boys have surnames ending in "son" and women have surnames ending in "dottir." So, you could have a brother and a sister with names like Ólafur Bryndísarson and Katrín Bryndísardóttir. (Vigdís Finnbogadottir was the first female president of Iceland.) To limit confusion, even formally Icelanders are referred to by their first names. An example: the performer Bjork's full name is Bjork Guðmundsdóttir but she goes by Bjork simply because that is how she is known in Iceland, not because she views herself as another Elvis or another Prince or another Enya. And I've heard, but I've never confirmed, that there are so few surnames in Iceland that phonebooks list names by first name rather than last name.


That is where we get son and daughter from, the Vikings! Son is son and daughter is dottir!


My favorite Viking of all-time is Floki.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: campus visits

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:27 pm

This is incredible. What other sports forum could provide this kind of education?
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:38 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:This is incredible. What other sports forum could provide this kind of education?


This forum has everything! Still waiting for TitanMike to start the "anything goes" folder...
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 08, 2017 5:07 pm

And to recall the good Ole days in the 1980's when the mythical Nordic big man was supposed to be driving in from Bemidji. :D Now this is a very meaningful sub-topic. ;)
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: campus visits

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 pm

One of my first trips as a truck driving MooseGuy was to Bemidji, Minnesota. This would've been 1994. I don't remember what the freight was but I remember that it came out of mid-Michigan and I was routed through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was an O-dark thirty trip through the night. Their were deer everywhere that night/morning and I was constantly worried that one would run out in front of me.

As an aside, I'd totaled a Ford Escort on a deer--come to think of it, I totaled the deer, too--in the late 1980s when I worked as a bank courier. This was in the Thumb, near Marlette. I was concussed, but that meant nothing back then. No protocol; just shake it off and have a headache and dizzy spells for a few days.

Anyway, I made it to Bemidji. There, I saw a Paul Bunyan statue, heard some claims to fame about Bemidji being the headwaters of the Mississippi River, and bought a Minnesota Moose tee shirt in the Holiday service station/store. The Minnesota Moose were a hockey team in the IHL who played in the Saint Paul Civic Center for a couple of years before relocating to Winnipeg, Manitoba. They did keep the moose moniker, though, and that's the important thing. For a glimpse of their logo click below:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 00x200.png
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Við verðum að faðma hæfileika þessa áætlunar er að koma. Það skiptir ekki máli hvort næsta ráð okkar er frá Íslandi, Texas eða Flint.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 pm

As a further aside, when I crashed the Ford Escort, my employer had me go to a clinic to be cleared to work the next day. It's amazing how things change in 30 years. The doctor did his magic and declared that I'd received a concussion, thus explaining the headache and vertigo. Naturally, I did what you'd do, too: I asked for some Dilaudid. In those days, I figured it was go big or go home.

"You hardly need Dilaudid," the doctor replied dismissively.

"Percocet?"

"You don't need Percocet," he said, kinda disgusted-like.

"Then howzabout some Darvocet?" Not Percocet, exactly, and surely not Dilaudid, but I was still hoping for a consolation prize.

Then he said to me--and I kid you not, "All you have is a concussion, son. It's not like you were decapitated!"

That's how they treated concussions back in the day. Things do change.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Við verðum að faðma hæfileika þessa áætlunar er að koma. Það skiptir ekki máli hvort næsta ráð okkar er frá Íslandi, Texas eða Flint.


If you're going to swear at me, Hoopster, I just wont talk to you.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby NC Titan » Mon May 08, 2017 10:46 pm

The-Dude wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Totally, NC. I follow you and I've read up on this before. Iceland retains the old Norse naming system that the other Scandinavian countries did away with centuries ago. The naming system can make it hard to determine if you are blood relatives with someone, and so there's actually an App in Iceland that helps you make sure you don't date your cousin.

Hopefully our recruit is not inbred and has decent coordination.


What if this kid comes in and destroys the HL and turns out to be the next Pétur Guðmundsson??


Maybe he'll have a sister Mari Guðmundsdottir who can star for the Lady Titans!
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:27 pm

On the other board HSSCOUT mentioned that we might be looking at these players:

Will Weems - Detroit native attending HS in Las Vegas
Charles Penn - Detroit high schooler at Schoolcraft CC
Julius Palmer - Detroit high schooler at McLennan CC in Texas/decommitted from Long Beach St
Greg Eboigbodin - Detroit high school decommitted from UIC - the real prize, but unless BA is a magician, probably unlikely
Nate Brooks - North Farmington High school - haven't heard anything about his recruiting in a while

Greg Eboigbodin and Nate Brooks would be 1 and 2 on my wish list.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:14 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:On the other board HSSCOUT mentioned that we might be looking at these players:

Will Weems - Detroit native attending HS in Las Vegas
Charles Penn - Detroit high schooler at Schoolcraft CC
Julius Palmer - Detroit high schooler at McLennan CC in Texas/decommitted from Long Beach St
Greg Eboigbodin - Detroit high school decommitted from UIC - the real prize, but unless BA is a magician, probably unlikely
Nate Brooks - North Farmington High school - haven't heard anything about his recruiting in a while

Greg Eboigbodin and Nate Brooks would be 1 and 2 on my wish list.

Palmer only started 5 games, looks like a key reserve for power McLennan JC (29-2). He averaged 6.3 ppg (73.4% from the field) and 4.4 rpg. He is 6-9.

Weems is 6-8, 255. His sophomore stats at Detroit Edison Academy were 21 ppg, 15 rpg.

Penn is 6-7. 12.1 ppg (55%); 8.1 rpg.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Anybody have any ideal who was on an official visit to UDM for the weekend of 5-5-17 thru 5-7-17?


Was Lars Larsen. 7 foot Center from Iceland. Dual athlete, basketball/curling. He liked campus but we don't offer curling.


I hope there was someone else in addition to Mendez on an official campus visit last week.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Do we have any campus visits lined up? According to my research (which aint much). We have only had two official all expenses paid visitors for the 2017-2018 seasons.

1.A.Nelson
2.C.Hightower

We have 10 all expenses paid visits to beautiful Detroit available.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Is Mendez still available?
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: campus visits

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Not interested in a kid who doesn't qualify for admission to the university.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests