campus visits

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: campus visits

Postby Commissioner » Tue May 12, 2015 3:27 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:1.McFolley
2.Blackshear
3.English
4.Jenkins
5.Copeland?

The school can offer 10 all expenses paid visits to the motor city. UDM usually rolls out the red carpet and does a great job when a prospect visits. Have there been any other official visits to campus...according to my list we might have 5 or 6 left to offer.

I would guess Lacey James came on an official visit, since he then verballed and seemed ready to sign an LOI until something happened (probably medical clearance, but we don't know). Maybe Walter Wright, the juco guard who ultimately committed to Montana?

But it is possible that McFolley, Blackshear, or James may never have taken official visits, since all live close, especially our Detroit recruits. A school gets 12 visits from August 1 through July 31. We have recently had visits from Kamari Newman and Trishton Jackson in the Class of '16, but those should be unofficial that don't count toward our 12 official visits for 2014-15. You normally only take official visits as a senior.
Last edited by Commissioner on Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue May 12, 2015 3:37 pm

As I re-call, Walter Wright visited UDM. Unfortunate for us that he selected Montana.
Last edited by titandave on Tue May 12, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue May 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Commissioner wrote:I would guess Lacey James came on an official visit, since he then verballed and seemed ready to sign an LOI until something happened (probably medical clearance, but we don't know). Maybe Walter Wright, the juco guard who ultimately committed to Montana?

But it is possible that McFolley, Blackshear, or James had their visits last year. Or they may never have taken official visits, since all live close, especially our Detroit recruits. A school gets 12 visits from August 1 through July 31. I don't think it matters what class the recruit is in. If I'm right on that, than we have recently had visits from Kamari Newman and Trishton Jackson in the Class of '16, that would count toward our 12 official visits for 2014-15. I think both were official visits but can't say for sure.

Commish, if the students came and got the recruit treatment -- meet other players, check out the locker room, etc -- wouldn't that count as an official visit, regardless of whether they had airfare and hotel expenses?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue May 12, 2015 7:49 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Commish, if the students came and got the recruit treatment -- meet other players, check out the locker room, etc -- wouldn't that count as an official visit, regardless of whether they had airfare and hotel expenses?

No, it would not. The NCAA rules are ridiculously Byzantine, but here's a real good summary put out by Louisiana Lafayette: http://compliance.louisiana.edu/sites/c ... isits1.pdf

Basically, on an official visit the university can't pay for anything - not even parking on campus or a soft drink (but they can give up to 3 free tickets to a home game and transportation from campus to a home game or practice facility) -- but otherwise the player can meet with the coaches, watch (but not participate in) a practice, hang with the team (gotta pay for all his own recreation and entertainment, though), tour the campus, eat in the cafeteria (gotta pay), visit a class, talk with guidance counselors and trainers, etc., etc. Recruits can only take 5 official visits, so smart kids with a lot of options will often take unofficial visits to local schools (or schools they are close to on family vacation or something) to save up their official visits. Conversely, when a school offers an official visit - remember, they get just 12 a year - it's a sign that they really are serious, and think that they have a good chance to land the player.
Last edited by Commissioner on Thu May 21, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:22 pm

[quote="R.B.J1"]1.McFolley
2.Blackshear
3.English
4.Jenkins
5.Copeland?
6.Wright

The school can offer 12 all expenses paid visits to the motor city. UDM usually rolls out the red carpet and does a great job when a prospect visits. Have there been any other official visits to campus...according to my list we have 6 visits remaining.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am

i assume there are chronological limits year to year? like: "since our 2015 recruiting is, as likely as not, over who cares how many we've used/saved so long as there are a couple in case of emergency?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Does anyone know of players who have been on official all expenses paid recruiting visits to UDM. We get 10 a year, can we assume that we have used at least 3, maybe 4? Are we still lodging players at the Marriott Renaissance Center?

1.Corey Allen
2.J.Biles
3. Dre Black
4.I.Jones??
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am

According to K313 Cole Long will visit Detroit this weekend. That brings the unofficial list of official visits to 5. So we have 5 more all expenses paid visits to Detroit to dole out.

1.Corey Allen
2.J.Biles
3. Dre Black
4.I.Jones??
5.Cole Long
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:03 pm

All D1 schools are allowed 10 all expenses paid campus visits for potential recruits. Have we had any visitors this school year?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:15 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:All D1 schools are allowed 10 all expenses paid campus visits for potential recruits. Have we had any visitors this school year?

I believe we had exactly 10 fans at the WKU game.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:21 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:All D1 schools are allowed 10 all expenses paid campus visits for potential recruits. Have we had any visitors this school year?

I'm not aware of any official visits this school year. If they have taken place, it's been kept pretty quiet. Granted, the school can't comment on publicly on visits, official or otherwise, but usually word leaks out somewhere on social media. Per HSScout1, Jack Ballantye said in an interview that he would be visiting "U of D in the near future."
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Ballantye would be exciting.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:06 pm

kirky313 wrote:Ballantye would be exciting.

Why?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:54 am

he's a 6'9 kid who can stretch the floor and hit 3's he's a teammate of JJ3. Since JJ3 has been out he's played point for Dakota.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:14 am

No offense Kirky, and I've got no reason to doubt your post, but if he's 6'9" with intangibles that allow him to run PG... why is he neither highly rated nor recruited by any bigger schools?

You basically just described Magic Johnson, so I thought I'd ask. He obviously has some pretty glaring weaknesses or he'd be rated by some of the recruiting services. All I see is a 2-star out there.
udballer
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:30 pm

I've only seen him play once, he's like Ryan Anderson. I also don't think he's an amazing point guard.. But Dakota has been using him as one.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:40 pm

udballer wrote:No offense Kirky, and I've got no reason to doubt your post, but if he's 6'9" with intangibles that allow him to run PG... why is he neither highly rated nor recruited by any bigger schools?

You basically just described Magic Johnson, so I thought I'd ask. He obviously has some pretty glaring weaknesses or he'd be rated by some of the recruiting services. All I see is a 2-star out there.

Ballantyne was injured for a good portion of his junior year, which always keeps offers down and often pulls off the recruiting services (nobody's on the floor to evaluate). He's got lots of mid-major offers and an offer from Boston College. Schools including Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State and others have scouted him without offering. They could offer if he has a big senior year or if others turn them down. He's no Magic Johnson, but seems like a legit mid-major recruit with a relatively high upside. As Kirky says, it's not like he's going to play point in college. But if he's good enough to play point in HS (after the starter goes down, note), then he's clearly not some clod with stone hands.

Finally, among his offers is one from Penn. If we, BC and Penn have offered, I have to think academics are unlikely to be a problem.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:21 pm

udballer wrote:No offense Kirky, and I've got no reason to doubt your post, but if he's 6'9" with intangibles that allow him to run PG... why is he neither highly rated nor recruited by any bigger schools?

It doesn't really matter, if Penn or BC have offered he's not coming to UDM. We couldn't beat out IPFW for a two star recruit last season.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:17 pm

since when do we turn our noses up at two stars? since when does rbj turn his nose up at everything?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:15 pm

titanmac wrote:since when do we turn our noses up at two stars? since when does rbj turn his nose up at everything?

I wish we could get Ballantyne,, but I don't see it happening. We cant even land a legacy recruit...and his dad is the #1 assistant coach. :x
R.B.J1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball