campus visits

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: campus visits

Postby udballer » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:26 pm

titanmac wrote:since when do we turn our noses up at two stars? since when does rbj turn his nose up at everything?

Who is turning their nose up? Haven't seen him play. All I know is that he's 6'9" with point guard skills and only listed as a 2-star, so I asked a question.
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:17 am

Bump this, because I don't like OUdrummer.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:08 pm

According to my count we have used 2 of our all expenses paid official visits.

#1. Unknown 7 footer from Iceland
#2. Skyler Nash
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 pm

We are getting close to signing day, have we brought any players in for official campus visits? According to this article we had Greg Elliot in on multiple unofficial visits, and we actually made his final 4. Things aren't going well, when you feel good about being in a recruits final 4. Looks like Marquette is becoming the new Mizzou in Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... 100059486/
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Supposedly Greg Eboigbodin will be visiting UDM this weekend. According to my unofficial visit list, we should have either 5 or 3 all expenses paid visits to the big D remaining.

Official Visitors
1.Unkown 7 footer
2.from Iceland
3.Skyler Nash
4. JJJR.
5.Ballantyne
6.Prince
7. Greg Eboigbodan
Last edited by R.B.J1 on Sat May 06, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pm

If we sign Eboigbodin I don't see how you can give BA anything less than an A- for this recruiting class.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat May 06, 2017 10:38 am

Tacitus651 wrote:If we sign Eboigbodin I don't see how you can give BA anything less than an A- for this recruiting class.

If he gets Greg E, I'd say the incoming recruits equal an A. That said, you still need to figure Jaleel into the equation. If he loses Hogan, I don't see how you can give him anything better than a B-.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:18 pm

I disagree with you, baller. I don't think Jaleel leaving the program should influence BA's grade on this recruiting class too much, if at all. For all we know, Jaleel is leaving for personal reasons and BA had little notice. And if that is the case, you can't blame BA too much because he never recruited Jaleel to begin with. A player leaving shouldn't influence the grade for an incoming class. Even if BA keeps the scholarship open for next season I'd still give him an A for landing Prince, JJJ, Ballantyne and Eboigbodin. Those last 3 could dominate the HL as upperclassmen if they work hard.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Sat May 06, 2017 12:48 pm

If we sign Eboigbodin and Jones ends up being a role player .... we could be looking at 3 Freshman in the 8-man rotation.

Backcount ... JJ Jr, Allen, & McFolley
Wing ... Chatman
Frontcount ... Prince, Blackshear, Ballantyne, & Eboigbodin
titandave
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat May 06, 2017 4:04 pm

udballer wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:If we sign Eboigbodin I don't see how you can give BA anything less than an A- for this recruiting class.

If he gets Greg E, I'd say the incoming recruits equal an A. That said, you still need to figure Jaleel into the equation. If he loses Hogan, I don't see how you can give him anything better than a B-.

Interesting point. I guess if you give BA credit for Corey Allen, as some do, you need to give him at least some responsibility if Hogan leaves. Maybe not on the recruiting side, but it goes somewhere on the ledger.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat May 06, 2017 5:18 pm

it's been reported that allen is jj's recruit. hardly a reason to ascribe his schollie to mccallum. whereas hogan is clearly a holdover. seems to go without saying none of the coaches remain from hogans recruiting class. i understand if hogan feels isolated or left out. change begets insecurity.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sat May 06, 2017 8:36 pm

I still can't believe UIC unconditionally released Greg E and he could come to us, or OU (he did live with Billy Thomas for a while). Not sure why they did that.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 pm

MotownTitan wrote:I still can't believe UIC unconditionally released Greg E and he could come to us, or OU (he did live with Billy Thomas for a while). Not sure why they did that.

With LOIs, I don't think that schools have the option to restrict where you can go. They either give you the release, or they don't. If they hold a player to the LOI, the player either goes there for a year, or goes elsewhere right away but loses a year eligibility.

Now and then a team refuses to give a kid a release, but it usually results in bad publicity and the school eventually folds and grants the release. A few years ago UTEP refused to grant a release to Isaac Hamilton, in part because Coach Tim Floyd thought that UCLA had tampered with Hamilton. Hamilton transferred anyway, sat a year, and played three at UCLA. Appalachian State got an early signature from Devonte Graham a few years ago, and then Graham had a huge senior season in high school and wanted out of his LOI. Coach Jeff Capel wouldn't let him out of his LOI, again because (he said) he thought there had been tampering. Graham went to prep school for a year instead of Appalachian State, but would still have had to sit out a year at any college he went to (the LOI is valid unless you spend a year at the school or get a two-year degree.) But Capel got fired and Appalachian's new coach released him from the LOI. Graham then signed with Kansas and recently announced he will return next year for his senior season rather than enter the draft.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
udballer wrote:

Interesting point. I guess if you give BA credit for Corey Allen, as some do, you need to give him at least some responsibility if Hogan leaves. Maybe not on the recruiting side, but it goes somewhere on the ledger.

That's where I'm at. My personal grade on last year's class was solid in BA's favor... mostly on account of Allen keeping his commit. Since I have him credit for Allen, he gets penalized if he loses Hogan in my book. At least I'd be staying consistent. :)

Even though I'd be more than happy to grade him an A this year if he follows up with Greg, I'm still not sure how convinced I am in his recruiting prowess. I may have to wait for a year to come along where no children of staff members are signed before I get too confident. We got another Chatman coming up next year, so I may have to wait for the 2019 class to see how that goes down.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat May 06, 2017 10:41 pm

you don't lose credit for losing players that weren't yours to begin with. many new coaches just clean house as did mccollum. easier to start fresh with your own players than not. it's a credit to ba's integrity that he was willing to work with these guys. can't fault him for predilections of the holdovers.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat May 06, 2017 11:44 pm

titanmac wrote:you don't lose credit for losing players that weren't yours to begin with. many new coaches just clean house as did mccollum. easier to start fresh with your own players than not. it's a credit to ba's integrity that he was willing to work with these guys. can't fault him for predilections of the holdovers.

Jaleel "wasnt his to begin with"? Come on now. He kept him on the roster through the transition and just coached him for a year. He wasn't his to begin with, but he's most certainly his now. Don't forget who were talking about. Without Jaleel we may have went 0-31 under BA last season.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun May 07, 2017 10:07 am

as usual baller you just carry on blithely
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I don't blame the former coach for taking chances on certain recruits and I don't blame the current coach if another coach's recruit does not stay on the roster. This "who gets the credit and who gets the blame" discussion is unproductive. Especially when all of us are posting from a position of first-hand ignorance about the circumstances surrounding every instance.

At times, y'all sound like the principal in Ferris Bueller. :D So focused on proving your opinion to be accurate that the larger perspective is lost. Before assigning any grades to a recruiting class, I'm going to wait and see who comprises the full class. Hopefully, we'll have more information over the next week or two from which we can draw a fair conclusion. Patience can be a virtue here.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun May 07, 2017 2:06 pm

titanmac wrote:as usual baller you just carry on blithely

...and as usual you retort with a statement that lacks content, opinion and punctuation.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun May 07, 2017 2:16 pm

ptctitan wrote:At times, y'all sound like the principal in Ferris Bueller. :D So focused on proving your opinion to be accurate that the larger perspective is lost.

I think you should read over the posts again. I don't see anyone "trying to prove their opinion accurate", just simply posting their opinion. My opinion is exactly that, an opinion. Since joining the board, I've not once worried that a single person agrees with it. From my point of view, losing the best player on the team to transfer after having him recommit to your program and work in your system for a year is a negative. It doesn't mean all is lost but it certainly shouldn't be disregarded. If BA wanted to start fresh with his own guys (minus Jaleel), he could have easily done that last year. He didn't, so I have to assume he wanted him around.
udballer
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball