campus visits

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: campus visits

Postby titanmac » Sun May 07, 2017 5:54 pm

hah! funny.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 07, 2017 6:35 pm

udballer - I understand that you are expressing your opinion. My point is that the issue on which you have expressed your opinion is rather silly and all opinions about it are unproductive because those expressing their opinions have no firsthand knowledge of any facts beyond what players were recruited on what dates, and which players on last year's roster remain on this year's roster. Beyond the fact that everyone's opinion is plausible, there are no facts known here that can prove which opinion is more plausible than another. So my comment is not about your opinion, it is about the specific sub-topic of assigning blame or credit to a coach, a sub-topic that keeps bleeding into a number of threads. Your opinion is no more or no less plausible than any other opinion offered on the issue. And so are the other opinions offered on the same issue. That is my opinion that is also equally plausible with all others on the matter. ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Hey, Detmer. You're so fine. You're so fine, you blow my mind. Hey, Detmer!
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Look, we all want to be right, all the time. But that's just not how it works. Sometimes, things happen that are OUT OF OUR CONTROL. Jaleel's issues do not relate to his basketball performance or his relationship with BA. Sometimes, things just happen. And you have to deal with them. You either deal, or don't deal, and suffer the consequences.
Example: my dad Roger Buysse has major surgery tomorrow in an effort to stop a fast-growing cancer. At any age, at any point in life, you make decisions and move forward. It's all you can do. My dad is doing that. He was at the softball game today cheering on the Titans; he'll have his life in the hands of a capable surgeon tomorrow. That's life. Sometimes, it's best to just shut up, do what you have to do today, and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Peace, my Titan friends. We will be good again. When, I don't know exactly. But Remember the Titans.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby titanmike » Sun May 07, 2017 8:47 pm

ptctitan wrote:I don't blame the former coach for taking chances on certain recruits and I don't blame the current coach if another coach's recruit does not stay on the roster. This "who gets the credit and who gets the blame" discussion is unproductive. Especially when all of us are posting from a position of first-hand ignorance about the circumstances surrounding every instance.

At times, y'all sound like the principal in Ferris Bueller. :D So focused on proving your opinion to be accurate that the larger perspective is lost. Before assigning any grades to a recruiting class, I'm going to wait and see who comprises the full class. Hopefully, we'll have more information over the next week or two from which we can draw a fair conclusion. Patience can be a virtue here.

Not me
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm

udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote:At times, y'all sound like the principal in Ferris Bueller. :D So focused on proving your opinion to be accurate that the larger perspective is lost.

I think you should read over the posts again. I don't see anyone "trying to prove their opinion accurate", just simply posting their opinion. My opinion is exactly that, an opinion. Since joining the board, I've not once worried that a single person agrees with it. From my point of view, losing the best player on the team to transfer after having him recommit to your program and work in your system for a year is a negative. It doesn't mean all is lost but it certainly shouldn't be disregarded. If BA wanted to start fresh with his own guys (minus Jaleel), he could have easily done that last year. He didn't, so I have to assume he wanted him around.

I can only say your opinion would be incorrect. However you are still entitled to it and thats what the freedom of the board is all about. Carry on.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:my dad Roger Buysse has major surgery tomorrow in an effort to stop a fast-growing cancer. At any age, at any point in life, you make decisions and move forward. It's all you can do. My dad is doing that. He was at the softball game today cheering on the Titans; he'll have his life in the hands of a capable surgeon tomorrow. That's life. Sometimes, it's best to just shut up, do what you have to do today, and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Peace, my Titan friends. We will be good again. When, I don't know exactly. But Remember the Titans.

Your dad and family will be in our thoughts and prayers today and during his recovery.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 am

titanmike wrote:
udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote:At times, y'all sound like the principal in Ferris Bueller. :D So focused on proving your opinion to be accurate that the larger perspective is lost.

I think you should read over the posts again. I don't see anyone "trying to prove their opinion accurate", just simply posting their opinion. My opinion is exactly that, an opinion. Since joining the board, I've not once worried that a single person agrees with it. From my point of view, losing the best player on the team to transfer after having him recommit to your program and work in your system for a year is a negative. It doesn't mean all is lost but it certainly shouldn't be disregarded. If BA wanted to start fresh with his own guys (minus Jaleel), he could have easily done that last year. He didn't, so I have to assume he wanted him around.

I can only say your opinion would be incorrect. However you are still entitled to it and thats what the freedom of the board is all about. Carry on.

Finally,... some inside information. Good to know that it is out there. Which opinion is incorrect? Reading over my comments that you've highlighted, it seems that one of the following must be true :

A) Jaleel is not leaving the program (which would be tremendous news)
B) Jaleel leaving the program would be a positive (which doesn't make much sense to me)
C) BA didn't want Jaleel around and was forced to keep him last season (which doesn't make much sense to me)

As those are the only opinions written, I'm hoping that the winner is (A) and we can watch Jaleel on the basketball court this November. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 am

Anybody have any ideal who was on an official visit to UDM for the weekend of 5-5-17 thru 5-7-17?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am

R.B.J1 wrote:Anybody have any ideal who was on an official visit to UDM for the weekend of 5-5-17 thru 5-7-17?

Was Lars Larsen. 7 foot Center from Iceland. Dual athlete, basketball/curling. He liked campus but we don't offer curling.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Mon May 08, 2017 11:41 am

udballer wrote:
Finally,... some inside information. Good to know that it is out there. Which opinion is incorrect? Reading over my comments that you've highlighted, it seems that one of the following must be true :

B) Jaleel leaving the program would be a positive (which doesn't make much sense to me)
C) BA didn't want Jaleel around and was forced to keep him last season (which doesn't make much sense to me)

As those are the only opinions written, I'm hoping that the winner is (A) and we can watch Jaleel on the basketball court this November. :D

Which is a reason we have some of the worse posters in all of sports. This place gets all over the map at times.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 am

Tacitus651 wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Anybody have any ideal who was on an official visit to UDM for the weekend of 5-5-17 thru 5-7-17?

Was Lars Larsen. 7 foot Center from Iceland. Dual athlete, basketball/curling. He liked campus but we don't offer curling.

Not sure if I'm believing you, Tacitus. Lars Larsen is not an Icelandic name.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:
udballer wrote:

Which is a reason we have some of the worse posters in all of sports. This place gets all over the map at times.

I disagree, we have some the best posters in all of sports. I frequent a few other messageboards, although I only post to UDM's and UofM's, which I think are the two best. This board is tame compared to others.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:

I thought our curling teams were in the MAAC, no?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:

Ah, ya got me! Actually, my great grandfather was named Lars Larson. He came from Norway. True story. I think most Icelandic names end in SON and not SEN? Interestingly, WOW AIR added Chicago to their flight map and you can fly round trip to Iceland for under $400. I'm seriously considering going. I don't know what some of you are complaining about this board going all over the map or off topic. My plans to visit Iceland are totally relevant to campus visits, as I'd be doing some unofficial scouting.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 pm

If he gets Greg E, I'd say the incoming recruits equal an A. That said, you still need to figure Jaleel into the equation. If he loses Hogan, I don't see how you can give him anything better than a B-.[/quote]

Interesting point. I guess if you give BA credit for Corey Allen, as some do, you need to give him at least some responsibility if Hogan leaves. Maybe not on the recruiting side, but it goes somewhere on the ledger.[/quote]

That's where I'm at. My personal grade on last year's class was solid in BA's favor... mostly on account of Allen keeping his commit. Since I have him credit for Allen, he gets penalized if he loses Hogan in my book. At least I'd be staying consistent. :)

Even though I'd be more than happy to grade him an A this year if he follows up with Greg, I'm still not sure how convinced I am in his recruiting prowess. I may have to wait for a year to come along where no children of staff members are signed before I get too confident. We got another Chatman coming up next year, so I may have to wait for the 2019 class to see how that goes down.[/quote]

The bolded area of your comment would be where you are incorrect.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon May 08, 2017 1:01 pm

titanmike wrote:If he gets Greg E, I'd say the incoming recruits equal an A. That said, you still need to figure Jaleel into the equation. If he loses Hogan, I don't see how you can give him anything better than a B-.

Interesting point. I guess if you give BA credit for Corey Allen, as some do, you need to give him at least some responsibility if Hogan leaves. Maybe not on the recruiting side, but it goes somewhere on the ledger.[/quote]

That's where I'm at. My personal grade on last year's class was solid in BA's favor... mostly on account of Allen keeping his commit. Since I have him credit for Allen, he gets penalized if he loses Hogan in my book. At least I'd be staying consistent. :)

Even though I'd be more than happy to grade him an A this year if he follows up with Greg, I'm still not sure how convinced I am in his recruiting prowess. I may have to wait for a year to come along where no children of staff members are signed before I get too confident. We got another Chatman coming up next year, so I may have to wait for the 2019 class to see how that goes down.[/quote]

The bolded area of your comment would be where you are incorrect.[/quote]

Hey, Mike. That is even more confusing to me. I think you mean that you disagree with my opinion? I'm not sure that my personal scoring criteria for the recruiting cycle can be considered correct or incorrect... it's simply the criteria that I include in my own mind when judging the direction of the program. It really isn't up for debate.

There may be a reason out there why BA would lose Hogan and it could have absolutely nothing to do with BA's skills, personality, etc at all... but it doesn't mean it doesn't affect the results of the cycle. Losing a critical player is still a negative impact to the team heading into next season. Hopefully, he can pull over Greg E and negate the (potential) negative impact. Similarly, I had no issue at all with pushing PB out the door last season... though I'm not going to pretend that it didn't negatively impact the product we ended up putting on the court. Longer term, it was something that needed to be done.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Yes, I disagree with your opinion Baller, while at the same time I am saying you would be wrong to blame BA if Hogan does end up not being with the team next season.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:

Now THAT is funny!
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:

Ah, ya got me! Actually, my great grandfather was named Lars Larson. He came from Norway. True story. I think most Icelandic names end in SON and not SEN? Interestingly, WOW AIR added Chicago to their flight map and you can fly round trip to Iceland for under $400. I'm seriously considering going. I don't know what some of you are complaining about this board going all over the map or off topic. My plans to visit Iceland are totally relevant to campus visits, as I'd be doing some unofficial scouting.

Actually, Icelandic boys have surnames ending in "son" and women have surnames ending in "dottir." So, you could have a brother and a sister with names like Ólafur Bryndísarson and Katrín Bryndísardóttir. (Vigdís Finnbogadottir was the first female president of Iceland.) To limit confusion, even formally Icelanders are referred to by their first names. An example: the performer Bjork's full name is Bjork Guðmundsdóttir but she goes by Bjork simply because that is how she is known in Iceland, not because she views herself as another Elvis or another Prince or another Enya. And I've heard, but I've never confirmed, that there are so few surnames in Iceland that phonebooks list names by first name rather than last name.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball