titan women clinch 2nd earn first round by.

Your place for the Lady Titan's!
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: titan women clinch 2nd earn first round by.

Postby bobonthebus » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

A big thank you to the Buysse family for all the support they have given to this program - they should be very proud!
bobonthebus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun May 12, 2019 12:05 am

bobonthebus wrote:A big thank you to the Buysse family for all the support they have given to this program - they should be very proud!

I hope the rest of Titan nation will join Tom and the Buysse family in financially supporting the softball program to keep it flying high and to build a lasting high-performing team.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 am

Congratulations to he Women and good luck at NCAAs . A sport where good pitching beats good hitting.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 12, 2019 5:37 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:I have had the pleasure of getting to know Conway, the other coaches, and many of the players. Let me just say this is a TEAM by the truest definition. Great people. The kind of student athletes that NCTitan wants. A team of them. Play hard. Play for each other. Good students. Good kids. Love their coaches. Love each other. The Horizon Pitcher of the Year didn't play today yet she was cheering her lungs out for Liz Murphy, who took her place.They deserve this CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!. And Roger & Millie Buysse are smiling up in heaven tonight, I believe....

Exactly, Tom. I believe your parents are beaming with pride over the result and over how this team played this year.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:15 pm

I think there is a good chance the Titans could be headed to Ann Arbor in first round with Michigan as the host school.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Congratulations to our softball team for winning the Horizon League Tournament!

Free Press story:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 182433001/
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Great article from Tony Paul in the Detroit News:

“Detroit Mercy wins Horizon, makes NCAAs — one year after coach nearly retired”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 183400001/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 pm

And he barely mentioned Oakland!
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Titans will take on Northwestern in first round action on Friday:

From the Detroit Free Press:

“Michigan softball will host St. Francis as No. 15 seed; UDM headed to Evanston, Illinois”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 184333001/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 am

In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Titan softball lost 15-1 this afternoon against Northwestern. Ouch! Play in elimination game tomorrow.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat May 18, 2019 11:08 pm

tough lose to the saluki's in the elimination game 2-1. another great pitching performance by liz murphy. congratulations to the departing seniors for their leadership and the whole team for their spirit and determination! the future is bright!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun May 19, 2019 12:54 am

Three cheers for the team that was not even supposed to make the HL tournament, much less the NCAA tournament.

Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!

And cheers for the memory of #1 fan, the late Roger Buysse, and his family that has carried on his enthusiastic support.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 19, 2019 5:48 am

The administrator of this board along with those who posted in this thread ought to show the 2019 softball team the respect that it has earned with its play on the field and its 3.51 team GPA by moving this topic to the Softball forum so that our thoughts about this team will be more easily remembered and recalled.

This team has earned the right to be singled out for its accomplishments in its own sports rather than by being made a subset of men's BB.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun May 19, 2019 11:18 am

true dat ptc but hardly worth a squabble. this is the main message board for most all things titans and the go to board for most all topics involving titan nation. the pragmatic reality is noone much looks at the other boards and our women softballers are worthy of the recognition and accolades of us all. the topical headline belies this reality. hardly a fight worth fighting? mho.
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun May 19, 2019 11:50 am

I'm with Mac on this. Of the 12 subjects on the splash page for the women's softball, four are from this year, three from 2017, two from 2016 and one each from 2015, 2014 and 2013. Think of it this way: If you want to shout out to the softball team, would you post it in Women's Softball Monthly magazine or Sports Illustrated. This basketball forum is, in essence, Sports Illustrated for UDM athletics.

Then again, if Mike were to create a forum for Robert Vowels and restrict all "Vowels must go!" comments to that forum … well, we could ignore that prattle and get on with the supporting of Detroit athletics. :D
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Since I would not post about men's BB in the softball forum, it is simply my opinion that we should move the great thread about the softball team that is located in the men's BB forum to the softball forum so that a few years from now when people might want to revisit this great season, they could find these posts without having to look all over the place. It's just my opinion. It's not like I will go T96 about it if the decision is to leave it where it is. ;) Cheers!
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm

I was at Northwestern yesterday. Softball stadium is tucked in by their football and basketball venues. One interesting thing we noticed is they don't have softball lights either. They brought in portable lights just for the NCAA Tourney. I wonder if the NCAA paid that bill?

We could have/should have beaten the Salukis, but that takes nothing away from this team of over-achievers. They are the most enjoyable team I have ever been around. They truly enjoyed every minute together. You could choose to label their non-stop cheering and support of each other as "grade school" or as an act of showing their emotions outwardly, which has become unacceptable behavior in today's collegiate Div I culture. To smile, laugh, hug, cheer, act like you are enjoying the competition....has become uncool behavior. You have to act cool and unattached every second. These girls do not care for that culture and play for the love of the game and the love of each other. They got the most out of every second of this ride together and I support that.

The Seniors on this team, with some help from some excellent coaches and former players such as Savvy Ferstle, changed a moribund Program into a winner. I heard yesterday that applications to replace Conway poured in from everywhere this week. Funny how people like a winner and want to jump on board after the hard work has already been put in, isn't it? These ladies will go down in U-D history as Program Changers. JJ/Bacari/Rashad/Hayes etc. did that in 1997-1999. It isn't easy but it can be done. First thing you have to do though, is place your personal ego behind the team's mission. After you've done that, you can make a positive impact. From stars to benchwarmers, that's what happened this year.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun May 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks, Tom.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Previous

Return to Women's Basketball