titan women clinch 2nd earn first round by.

Your place for the Lady Titan's!
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

titan women clinch 2nd earn first round by.

Postby titanmac » Wed May 08, 2019 7:48 am

conway coach of the year
mauser pitcher of the year
manno catcher; murphy pitcher; gilbert ss; 1st team all league
tanquay, utility all freshman honors.

great job this year by coach and all the women.

tournament starts tomorrow on espn 3 i think? could be +, when the titans take on winner of oakland/youngstown.

congratulation to the entire team on one of the best seasons in many years and building a foundation for the future.

chicago clinched first seed honors again. time to knock them off the pedestal!

sorry tm. i know this doesn't belong here. just thought it deserved the additional exposure.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Re: titan women clinch 2nd earn first round by.

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 pm

CHICAGO, ILL. (5/9/19) – The University of Detroit Mercy softball team knocked off #MetroSeries rival Oakland University with a 6-3 victory in the quarter-finals of the Horizon League Tournament.

The 2-seed Titans will face the 1-seed UIC Flames in the semi-finals tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 p.m.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Pitching supposedly wins short series, and the HL chose two Titans for the only two league pitching honorees. UIC is good, but we have a good chance to do well.

Detroit was supposed to finish seventh in the league, came in second (hence Coach of the Year for John Conway). The team jelled at the end of the season, going 15-5 in April/May (including a no-hitter against Northern Kentucky) after starting off 13-20.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 am

conway announced he will retire after this season. hate to see him go. your right about the pitching of course nct. still, uic will be tough. they beat us three times during the regular season and have 8 players with all league honors including poy. they have dominated the league for years. looking forward to this game! wish i had organized my time better. i would like to be there even tho i break out in a rash everytime i go to chicago!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:02 am

Softball has been the most positive surprise of this season. It was great to see them hammer Oakland yesterday. Good luck vs UIC.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:17 am

I drove to Chicago yesterday to be there. Back at work today, but I might go back tomorrow for the Championship if things break right today.

This team is everything you want: good kids, good students, good teammates. They love each other and are having so much fun. Playing hard but loose at the same time. UIC is a dominant offensive team, but we have better pitching this year. Even so, UIC will score some runs today. We are hitting better (3 HRs yesterday) and we need to put several runs on the board. Tough but possible...Conway's replacement will be an important hire.

BTW, UIC has a beautiful complex just off campus, with the Sears Tower/downtown in the background. They have Curtis Granderson baseball field, the softball field, several turf soccer fields, tennis courts and a building with several practice basketball courts, offices, training rooms and more. The only thing they don't have is a parking lot (you have to pay for street parking/2 hours at a time feeding the meter. This is all about 1/2 mile from the actual campus. State money: not fair. What are the chances of us sending a baseball player to MLB??
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri May 10, 2019 3:58 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:What are the chances of us sending a baseball player to MLB??

Since we don't field a baseball team, my Jesuit education estimates our chances to be pretty low. Practically nil.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 pm

CHICAGO (5/10/2019) -- The University of Detroit Mercy softball team is heading to the championship as the Titans defeated NKU, 4-1, in an elimination game to reach their first Horizon League Championship since 1998.

The second-seeded Titans will meet top-seeded UIC on Saturday at 1 p.m. (EST) as the red, white and blue will have to win two games against the Flames to reach their first-ever NCAA Tournament. UIC — which beat the Titans 8-0 in the semifinals earlier in the day — will just have to earn one win to get the automatic bid.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat May 11, 2019 12:33 pm

we will have to play better than we did yesterday to win these games. both games were marred by errors and walks. walked 10 uic hitters yesterday., 3 walks and three errors kept the norse alive, tho we finally prevailed. go titans! dont just be happy to be there!
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat May 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Go Titans!
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:25 pm

First game final: Detroit Mercy 2, UIC 0.

Winner of the second game heads to the NCAA tournament.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Sat May 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Second game is delayed by rain. Go Titans
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 pm

great shutout/shutdown performance by liz murphy making a two run lead after the first inning hold up the rest of the way. pitcher of the year ashley mauser on deck in the showdown. good call nct. one more!
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Championship game finally underway, started around 8:00 pm EST.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby bobonthebus » Sat May 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Titans up 1-0 top of the 7th. Come on ladies!!!!!!!
bobonthebus
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:40 pm

NCAA bound!
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat May 11, 2019 10:42 pm

nice job by murphy gotta be the tournament mvp. 14 shutout innings today.
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 pm

With a one-run UDM lead, UIC came to bat in the seventh. First batter grounded out, second one struck out, and then two batters reached on singles. With the game -- and the tournament bid -- on the line Murphy struck out the final batter, swinging on a full count. Can it get more dramatic than that?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:04 pm

I have had the pleasure of getting to know Conway, the other coaches, and many of the players. Let me just say this is a TEAM by the truest definition. Great people. The kind of student athletes that NCTitan wants. A team of them. Play hard. Play for each other. Good students. Good kids. Love their coaches. Love each other. The Horizon Pitcher of the Year didn't play today yet she was cheering her lungs out for Liz Murphy, who took her place.They deserve this CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!. And Roger & Millie Buysse are smiling up in heaven tonight, I believe....
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby bobonthebus » Sat May 11, 2019 11:29 pm

Selection Sunday - 9pm on espn2.
bobonthebus
Senior

Next

Return to Women's Basketball