WBB Titans prepared to mutiny over coach’s abuses

Your place for the Lady Titan's!
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

WBB Titans prepared to mutiny over coach’s abuses

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Rogobob77
Senior

Re: WBB Titans prepared to mutiny over coach’s abuses

Postby Dick Vitale » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Pretty damaging article. Well researched. Doesn't look like any way to heal that situation but the obvious.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:15 pm

Season canceled:

DETROIT (1/21/21) -- University of Detroit Mercy Director of Athletics Robert C. Vowels, Jr. has issued the following statement in regard to the women's basketball season.

"The health and well-being of our student-athletes is our athletic department's top priority. We have talked with all players and members of our women's basketball program about their concerns. We take them very seriously and will continue to review them closely. "

"As we have prioritized the needs of our student-athletes during this challenging academic year, we have decided to suspend the 2020-21 women's basketball season."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm

So unfortunate for the student athletes. :|
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Why wouldn't they suspend the Head Coach and investigate and use an assistant to coach. I think its time for a change at the top.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:58 pm

titanmike wrote:Why wouldn't they suspend the Head Coach and investigate and use an assistant to coach. I think its time for a change at the top.

To answer your question. Because the wife of the top assistant, Tim Webb, whose daughter plays for us, also signed the letter. You couldn't send one side of the coaching staff if there is a fracture between the HC and assistant. I'm not going to agree with your comment yet; but I'm not going to disagree with it either.

Similar situation is also brewing at Purdue Ft. Wayne.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/purdue/2021/01/20/purdue-fort-wayne-womens-basketball-program-accused-toxic-abuse/3592918001/

And a similar situation happened 1 or 2 years ago at NKU and its women's team.
Last edited by ptctitan on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:58 pm

From the Detroit News:

“Detroit Mercy shuts down women's basketball season after allegations against new coach”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 661752002/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 pm

ptctitan

The Fort Wayne situation is not analogous to ours. We hired a coach with a history of major problems.

When I first heard about the hire. I was ready to end support of the Women's program. After cooling down, I decided that people could change and it was years ago. If Vowels knew about the problems and discussed it during the interview and was satisfied, I would continue supporting the program.

During that period I read the NCAA (or EMU's report to the NCAA) about the charges against our new coach. It was a damning report. You don't get a 2 year banishment for minor stuff. Unfortunately, the articles in the News and Free Press sound like a Cliff's notes version of the EMU report.

Knowing this, how could our internal oversight fail so badly? How could this come as a surprise out of the blue? Why was the season cancelled and the Women who have worked so hard and gone through so much robbed of completing the season? There is more than one assistant coach, any one of them could have finished the season. If one had a conflict there were options. Our last men's coach was suspended for 8 games and the players never missed a game. Why are the women treated differently. Why when the Women's Lacrosse coach ran afoul of the administration, a coach was named to complete the season. Why when a few soccer players complain a 25 year coach is forced out, but now with every player and every parent complaining the answer is to cancel the season? Why is Women's basketball different?

There are a lot of questions begging for answers. I am so embarrassed for the University. I am also personally embarrassed to some of parents. I had reassured them last year that the the school would not abandon their daughters because of a coaching change. This was to allay their concerns as it became obvious that a coaching change was a high probability.

It is a very tough day to be a University of Detroit Mercy athletic booster. I just got off the phone with another big Women's Sport booster who is just as upset as my wife and I.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:40 pm

The PFW situation is similar for two reasons: 1) their HC had prior complaints like the current ones; and, 2) the claims about their trainer and our trainer are similar. That said, where was Teri Kromrei? Isn't she the direct supervisor of the program? With a HC with Gilbert's history, shouldn't Kromrei have been monitoring the CARA reports closely and visiting the practices to audit times? If any of the major allegations are true, then it's time to make significant changes in that department. And not just the top guy.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:48 am

Congratulations to Mr. Vowels, UDM is one of the top 5 stories on yahoo.com. today Jan. 22, That should do wonders for enrollment, alumni relations and recruiting. Just special.
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 pm

1975SHjoe wrote:Congratulations to Mr. Vowels, UDM is one of the top 5 stories on yahoo.com. today Jan. 22, That should do wonders for enrollment, alumni relations and recruiting. Just special.

This is a front page story in today’s printed edition of the Detroit News. Page 1 of the sports section in the Detroit Free Press. Arguably the most publicity the Titan WBB program has ever received.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:51 am

The damage is done. There is no way you can put the "paste back in the tube." If the Coach keeps her job, recruiting will be much more difficult if not impossible. Keep the coach and all current players leave, then what. Vowels screwed this hiring and he will have only one option to fix it IMO. Given the state of Titan athletics, he should go as well.
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Vowels isn’t going anywhere. I seem to remember reading that Garibaldi and Vowels have a history. Garibaldi won’t fire his friend, and clearly the trustees don’t give a S*** or they would have already pressured Garibaldi to dismiss Vowels. It’s really sad, but we’re hemorrhaging money on this athletics program and it’s going to get to a point where we can’t sustain it just to lose games and create negative PR issues for the university. I’m guess by that point Garibaldi and Vowels will be retired, living lives of luxury with UDM’s money.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Detgolf1987 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Tacitus - You are correct. Vowels is Girabaldi's guy. Clearly the Board is asleep at the switch. What a bunch of losers.

I seriously hope the parents of the women players sue to oblivion and put this institution out of it's misery.
Detgolf1987

Postby Dick Vitale » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:54 am

Mike Davis shared his perspective on this at the Round Ball earlier in the week. Based on what he saw, it would be wise to reserve judgement until more facts come out. As in all things, there are two sides to the story.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:20 pm

Detgolf1987 wrote:Tacitus - You are correct. Vowels is Girabaldi's guy. Clearly the Board is asleep at the switch. What a bunch of losers.

I seriously hope the parents of the women players sue to oblivion and put this institution out of it's misery.

I can’t believe what I’m reading from you? What wrong with you? Why don’t you leave and put yourself out of your own misery. Get a life and get lost.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:20 pm

Detgolf1987 wrote:Tacitus - You are correct. Vowels is Girabaldi's guy. Clearly the Board is asleep at the switch. What a bunch of losers.

I can’t believe what I’m reading from you? What wrong with you? Why don’t you leave and put yourself out of your own misery. Get a life and get lost.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:14 am

“UDM parent: Letter that shut down women's season sent without my knowledge, consent”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 717519002/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:01 pm

So far three UDM woman's players have entered the transfer portal one of which has been accepted at Akron. When will the results of the schools investigation be released?
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Credibility of the letter is appearing suspicious with one parent's name forged on it.

Hopefully a clearer picture will come forward as to what went on vs. speculation.

People these days can be quick to rush to judgement before hearing from both sides.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Next

Return to Women's Basketball