Live6 neighborhood development thread

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Livernois development thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:18 am

AmenBrother wrote:a lot of hoopla for the past few years about the new landscaping along Livernois thru the Avenue of Fashion, just north of campus. I have to say, I am not impressed with it. The grass seed that was put down in the median never took and all thru this past year it has been nothing but ugly hard pan sand/mud.

I know that there were problems with the irrigation system, reportedly those were fixed in late summer. Driving down Livernois earlier today I would say that the grass has filled in 90% of the medians, some stretches better than others. If maintained, augmented with additional flower beds here and there, trees mature, etc., I think it will look much nicer than the five-lane road that was previously in place.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Today's Detroit Free Press had a good article about the problem of abandoned commercial properties in the city. It mentions a blighted structure on Livernois that could be razed for parking to accommodate nearby businesses. Here's the link:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /73600778/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Great upbeat article about the Live6 initiative in this week's MetroTimes:

http://m.metrotimes.com/detroit/stir-it ... id=2380404
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:12 pm

I noticed a couple of improvements today on the Livernois strip directly across from the softball field. A new Deano's sub sandwich shop has moved into a refurbished building that also houses a long-standing tax preparation business and a driving school. And the Livernois Bike Shop building is a bit spruced up, including a badly needed replacement of their awning.

More in the realm of a dream project, walking through the Architecture Building I saw a display of a student's rendering for a new UDM theater on Livernois.

Yesterday WDET radio had a long piece on the Live6 initiative as part of a series on progress the city has made one-year post-bankruptcy.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 am

I noticed today that a new mobile phone store is opening up in a formerly vacant building on McNichols Rd., just west of the Nicky D's Coney Island on Livernois. No big deal considered in isolation, but it does appear that there is starting to be a trickle of new businesses locating in the vicinity of campus.

Heading south toward downtown after Saturday's Northeastern game, I noticed a medical marijuana dispensary has opened up in a building on the west side of Livernois, a few blocks removed from campus. I recently read that there are an estimated 180 such businesses in Detroit. Would have preferred a Starbucks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:04 pm

1) you won't get a starbucks.. the one at 8 and woodward is really bad.
2) There is 2 Pot shops at livernois and 8mile. Stupid to open up a third.
3) it's detroit what did you expect.
4) The BK across livernois from the front gate is going to reopen it has been closed since 06.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Passing along some information about a Livernois community forum and networking event:

The community development initiative Live6 Alliance will host an open forum and discussion, the first event of the Open City series, on Monday, Dec. 14 from 6 to 8 p.m. at 16647 Livernois Avenue near UDM's McNichols Campus. Open City is a forum for all to join Detroit's small business owners and learn, network and exchange information in a fun and lively setting. This event is free and open to the public. No RSVP is required. E-mail hello@buildinstitute.org for more information.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:32 pm

kirky313 wrote:1) you won't get a starbucks.. the one at 8 and woodward is really bad.
4) The BK across livernois from the front gate is going to reopen it has been closed since 06.

Glad to hear that the Burger King is reopening. Noticed a crew of workers busy around the building this morning and there is a "now hiring" sign posted. Not to get too excited about a fast food restaurant, but the property has been blighted for almost ten years now and it is right across from the UDM Livernois entrance, so it will really be a welcomed addition to the neighborhood.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
kirky313 wrote:1) you won't get a starbucks.. the one at 8 and woodward is really bad.

Glad to hear that the Burger King is reopening. Noticed a crew of workers busy around the building this morning and there is a "now hiring" sign posted. Not to get too excited about a fast food restaurant, but the property has been blighted for almost ten years now and it is right across from the UDM Livernois entrance, so it will really be a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Very true, it's always been bad to have that vacant restaurant right across from the school. I'm not a Burger King guy, but when it was open I used to patronize it sometimes just to support the business, given it's proximity to campus. I hope they are successful. If nothing else, it's good to have that parcel generating tax revenue and providing jobs for the neighborhood kids.

Tim Horton's is in the midst of an aggressive expansion and has had a store for a couple of years at Five Mile and Wyoming. Maybe they are a candidate for a location on Livernois. I'd welcome that.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Article about Livernois development in today's Crain's Business weekly:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -own-terms
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 pm

I noticed that there are two marijuana dispensaries just south of campus. "Livernois Relief" is just a short block or two south on the east side of the street, and "College Relief" is maybe four blocks south on the west side of the boulevard. There are also several dispensaries west of campus on McNichols. Perhaps the Burger King reopening is the market responding to the anticipated demand for folks needing a Whopper to satisfy the munchies.

Here's a link to a story in this morning's Detroit Free Press about a hearing to discuss a new ordinance in response to the proliferation of medical marijuana stores in Detroit:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /77483282/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Article about Livernois development in today's Crain's Business weekly:

Glad to see more business on the Livernois. Unfortunately those bombed out abandoned homes off Puritan are still there.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:18 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Article about Livernois development in today's Crain's Business weekly:

Glad to see more business on the Livernois. Unfortunately those bombed out abandoned homes off Puritan are still there.

We have to carry some weight in this town. Dr. G needs to put a full court press on the Mayor's office to get those crumbling homes moved up on the list of structures slated for demolition.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby AmenBrother » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:30 pm

We do have UDM Professor Ike McKinnon as Deputy Mayor. Rogobob- I see what you mean about the new lighting posts. The new ones around UDM are standard. I noticed more decorative ones further up Livernois and some very nice new ones around the Detroit Golf Club on Ponchartrain Avenue.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:

I noticed that there are two marijuana dispensaries just south of campus. "Livernois Relief" is just a short block or two south on the east side of the street, and "College Relief" is maybe four blocks south on the west side of the boulevard. There are also several dispensaries west of campus on McNichols. Perhaps the Burger King reopening is the market responding to the anticipated demand for folks needing a Whopper to satisfy the munchies.

Here's a link to a story in this morning's Detroit Free Press about a hearing to discuss a new ordinance in response to the proliferation of medical marijuana stores in Detroit:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /77483282/

Council approves ordinance late this afternoon that could possibly shut down some or all of the dispensaries near campus:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /77507344/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:19 pm

AmenBrother wrote:We do have UDM Professor Ike McKinnon as Deputy Mayor. Rogobob- I see what you mean about the new lighting posts. The new ones around UDM are standard. I noticed more decorative ones further up Livernois and some very nice new ones around the Detroit Golf Club on Ponchartrain Avenue.

I think it was a missed opportunity on the streetlights. I imagine these posts only get replaced every 50 years. Was hoping for something like you see on 9 mile along the Ferndale business strip or on Woodward near Wayne State. The new ones alongside campus just seem too high to me. Perhaps there are substantial cost or other considerations that came into play that I am not aware of. At least the rusted ones are gone and the new ones are working and illuminating that area.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:10 am

The following is a link to "Adapting the Midtown Model to the Neighborhods," a recently published article about neighborhood development in Detroit, focusing on the Live6 initiative:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/liv ... 22215.aspx

As you'll read, the article includes several references to UDM's role in revitalizing the neighborhoods surrounding campus. There is mention that an announcement could be coming out as early as this Spring concerning developing of parcels on Livernois directly across from campus, potentially a location for a nonprofit, a restaurant and/or office space for the Live6 organization.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:32 pm

The Knight Cities Challenge is a grant program that seeks new ideas from innovators who will take hold of the future of their cities. It was recently announced that two Live6 neighborhood proposals made the 2016 finalists cut; winners will be announced in the Spring:

College Core Community Corridor by Detroit Collaborative Design Center, University of Detroit Mercy (submitted by Ceara O'Leary): Building a pedestrian greenway and open spaces on vacant land that connects the area between the University of Detroit Mercy and Marygrove College; the project will be driven by neighborhood residents and a resident task force from each project block.

Storefront Speakeasy by Live6 (submitted by Lauren Hood): Transforming abandoned commercial storefronts with a pop-up culture cafe showcasing regional live music and spoken word.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:50 am

Two Livernois-based business projects were recently awarded Motor City Match grants:

"I'm Here LLC," a leading edge property and business development company redeveloping the historic Hunter's Supper Club on Livernois into a mixed-use facility that will house several businesses. Award amount: $100,000, the "top prize" for the grant program.

"Slyde," a gourmet slider restaurant that will occupy one of the spaces in the mixed-use redevelopment of the historic Hunter's Supper Club on Livernois. Award amount: $45,000.

The street address for the above projects is 19350 Livernois, a little north of 7 Mile Road.

Motor City Match is run in partnership between the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation and the mayor's office, with funding from a variety of foundations and banks, including John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Erb Family Foundation, Kresge Foundation, JPMorgan Chase, the New Economy Initiative, Bank of America, and Fifth Third Bank.

From the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/busine ... /79312386/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby professorjackson! » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 am

professorjackson!
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to General