Baker's Keyboard Lounge on Livernois

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Baker's Keyboard Lounge on Livernois

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 am

Nice front page article about Baker's Keyboard Lounge in today's Detroit News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busine ... 61157/#_=_

Hope they get the historic designation. If you've never been, you should go someday. Very cool vibe inside, hasn't changed much since my University of Detroit college days in the '70s when I first was introduced to the club. Back then, I saw several national jazz acts including Les McCann, Pharoah Sanders, Leon Thomas, Kenny Burrell, etc. The outside and adjacent parking lot could use some TLC, perhaps that will happen someday soon as more emphasis is placed on upgrading the Livernois corridor. Wonder if the UDM Architecture program help with this project. Some of the architectural integrity of the building was spoiled about 20 or so years ago when they attached an addition to the building to house a retailer, and that part is not well maintained. The exterior marquee is also very cool, but could also benefit by a restorative effort.

Fyi, when Calihan Hall had it's 50th anniversary 10 years or so ago, I contacted the AD to see if there was interest in getting historic designation for the building. Some preliminary work was done to research what that would take to do, but in the end Brad Kinsman thought best not to go forward. I believe he was worried that getting the designation would tie the school's hands if the school wanted to make future building modifications, but I think perhaps that wouldn't be a real problem. Butler's Hinckle Fieldhouse has a national historic designation. Calihan Hall was less than 20 years old when I started U-D, now it's one of the older facilities in college basketball. Time flies.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Baker's Keyboard Lounge on Livernois

Postby AmenBrother » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 pm

I cant find the info at my fingertips right now, but the same architect or designer or engineering building firm that built our Memorial Building (later named Calihan Hall) also was responsible for Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Baker's Keyboard Lounge expanding, plans underway for a second location, this one downtown:

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Ann ... QxJ.mailto
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:44 am

Nice article on Baker’s Keyboard Lounge on Livernois (two miles north of campus), a place I’ve gone for jazz since my college days:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/bak ... 26.19.aspx
Rogobob77
Senior

Return to General