Vacant land near school

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Vacant land near school

Postby retspooh » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:54 am

Are there any plans by the University and the city to expand the school on the vacant plots of land on Puritan and Livernois?
retspooh
Senior
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 am

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby retspooh » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Any insight? Looks like the land is clearing out. It would be fantastic to see some growth and modernization at the school.
retspooh
Senior
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 am

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby kirky313 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:07 am

Do they have the money and a plan? that is the question.. a new dorm would be nice..
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior
 
Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: the clem

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:49 am

retspooh wrote:Any insight? Looks like the land is clearing out. It would be fantastic to see some growth and modernization at the school.


Hoopster, I know there is a lot of activity going on in some of the areas near campus. The land clearing might be part of the recently announced Live 6 neighborhood campaign, of which U of D is a major partner. I have a friend who lives in the area who is active with the neighborhood association. I will ask him what he knows about any plans for those parcels.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby NC Titan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Even if the school doesn't have a plan, it would be nice if the land could be bought for a pittance -- I hear real estate is cheap in Detroit -- if only to sit on it. Maybe a use could come up in the upcoming capital campaign, or maybe some day someone will want to buy it to develop it.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby Thelurker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:57 pm

This is a sign that the work of the Live6 Alliance has started:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/2015/0 ... /71475228/
I'm the Dude man, just call me the Dude...
Thelurker
Senior
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:37 pm

FYI, there is also a thread on the topic of UDM neighborhood development in the General section of this message board:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2341
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby retspooh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:03 am

Looks like the development is underway.
retspooh
Senior
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 am

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Any update?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Delay due to City, plans for new dorms!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby TitanTerritory » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:21 am

A private developer was planning a new dorm in the area on Puritan. The demand would come from students living in Ferndale or Royal Oak. But I heard the city wants us to open up the campus and take down the perimeter fence which I don't think we're ready to do...yet. Also, the Fisher building may come down and a new welcome center would be added to the current student union. That's what I know. Enrollment and retention both trending very well and next year looks to be more or the same.
TitanTerritory
Senior
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:49 am

TitanTerritory wrote:A private developer was planning a new dorm in the area on Puritan. The demand would come from students living in Ferndale or Royal Oak. But I heard the city wants us to open up the campus and take down the perimeter fence which I don't think we're ready to do...yet. Also, the Fisher building may come down and a new welcome center would be added to the current student union. That's what I know. Enrollment and retention both trending very well and next year looks to be more or the same.


It's these kinds of projects that need to get done to help make the school grow and make Detroit a true world class city. Right now I'm hearing all the development efforts geared towards midtown and DT (Ilitch business school and such). Why are the Gilbert's of the world not extending help to areas like the UDM district?

When the school gets called out by Ackerman or anyone else, there is a legitimate reason. It's time to do something about that. Since moving to D.C., I really see how far we are behind. But, I also see that there is so much potential to grow. It just needs to be tapped.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby dtowntitan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 am

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:
TitanTerritory wrote:A private developer was planning a new dorm in the area on Puritan. The demand would come from students living in Ferndale or Royal Oak. But I heard the city wants us to open up the campus and take down the perimeter fence which I don't think we're ready to do...yet. Also, the Fisher building may come down and a new welcome center would be added to the current student union. That's what I know. Enrollment and retention both trending very well and next year looks to be more or the same.


It's these kinds of projects that need to get done to help make the school grow and make Detroit a true world class city. Right now I'm hearing all the development efforts geared towards midtown and DT (Ilitch business school and such). Why are the Gilbert's of the world not extending help to areas like the UDM district?

When the school gets called out by Ackerman or anyone else, there is a legitimate reason. It's time to do something about that. Since moving to D.C., I really see how far we are behind. But, I also see that there is so much potential to grow. It just needs to be tapped.


There actually is an effort by the City in developing the areas around the University. There is an organization, the Liv6 alliance that is focused on the development of the areas around the University. The neighborhood is one of the focal points of the Mayors development of 20 minutes neighborhoods. There is a lot of money coming into the area and a lot of projects in the works. Over there next few years there should be a lot of change in the area.
dtowntitan
Senior
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 am

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby TitanTarHeel » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm

dtown is spot on. If you read Crain's or the Mayors comments, its clear that the UDM neighborhood is a priority - and arguably the highest priority outside of the core downtown areas (downtown, midtown, Corktown). It's a real chance to show that investing in the more traditionally residential neighborhoods is real, and the 20 min n'hoods initiative is part of that.

I've also heard Gilbert mention 6/Livernois as an emerging area, but I'm guessing there's not a big enough project at this point to draw his attention from the core of what he's doing downtown.

But hoopster you are right, there's still so much Detroit has to do to be world class. For the first time in my life I can say we are legitimately trending in the right direction with all the positive things going on.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby TitanTerritory » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

The area north of campus has the best housing stock in the city, and Liv6 can be the catalyst for a vibrant area with UDM being the cornerstone. And the city needs to help clean up 6 mile to I75 (north and south) and Livernois south to the Lodge both (east and west). That will be a huge help to gain further momentum and put the city's reputation for crime and poverty in the rear view mirror. It's not like we can wipe away what ails society and Detroit, but all of that burden shouldn't be on our shoulders to the extent it impacts the perception of students and their parents to choose UDM. Marquette, Xavier, and Dayton also deal with urban issue in their respective cities, but don't seem to be impacted to the extent we have been in Detroit relative to our finances, endowment, and enrollment.
TitanTerritory
Senior
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Vacant land near school

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:33 pm

FYI, for those who don't wander to the "General" section of this messageboard, there are several long-running threads there about Live6 neighborhood development and related topics.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest